PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Intrigue/stealth-focused adventures

Irennan
2017-07-11, 06:53 PM
Hello everyone. I'm looking for inspiration and ideas to craft an intrigue-focused campaign arc, so I'd really appreciate if you could direct me to some good premade intrigue-focused modules, or modules that heavily involve the use of stealth and infiltration to puzzle it out.

Thanks in advance,
an undecided DM.

napoleon_in_rag
2017-07-13, 10:19 AM
Hello everyone. I'm looking for inspiration and ideas to craft an intrigue-focused campaign arc, so I'd really appreciate if you could direct me to some good premade intrigue-focused modules, or modules that heavily involve the use of stealth and infiltration to puzzle it out.

Thanks in advance,
an undecided DM.

Most pre-made modules are pretty combat focused. I can'y think of one that has a lot of stealth.

I suggest an urban campaign setting. Cities are great for stealth - lots of things to hide behind, lots of roofs.

Anxe
2017-07-13, 10:55 AM
This is for which system?

Aneurin
2017-07-13, 10:57 AM
That would depend quite heavily on your choice of system.

I can suggest some good ones for WFRP and the 40k RPGs, and I'm aware of several for Shadowrun, the Serenity RPG and probably the various World of Darkness lines if I put my mind to it, and while you could convert them to your system of choice I doubt it'd be very elegant (or easy) since none of those systems have much in common mechanically with one another, and have very different attitudes to encounter balance.

Airk
2017-07-13, 11:42 AM
Modules? Probably none. And if you're running them in D&D they're likely to come out feeling pretty unsatisfying anyway.

I could recommend you some good GAMES that lend themselves to this stuff and contain good procedures for setting it up, but taking your Generic D&D Party and throwing them an "intrigue based" module is likely to end with them getting fed up and murdering everyone.

Mastikator
2017-07-13, 02:36 PM
You could let the players solve a murder mystery, you can very easily fit stealth and intrigue into that.

Irennan
2017-07-14, 03:18 PM
This is for which system?

That would depend quite heavily on your choice of system.

I can suggest some good ones for WFRP and the 40k RPGs, and I'm aware of several for Shadowrun, the Serenity RPG and probably the various World of Darkness lines if I put my mind to it, and while you could convert them to your system of choice I doubt it'd be very elegant (or easy) since none of those systems have much in common mechanically with one another, and have very different attitudes to encounter balance.

Modules? Probably none. And if you're running them in D&D they're likely to come out feeling pretty unsatisfying anyway.

I could recommend you some good GAMES that lend themselves to this stuff and contain good procedures for setting it up, but taking your Generic D&D Party and throwing them an "intrigue based" module is likely to end with them getting fed up and murdering everyone.

Most pre-made modules are pretty combat focused. I can'y think of one that has a lot of stealth.

I suggest an urban campaign setting. Cities are great for stealth - lots of things to hide behind, lots of roofs.

You could let the players solve a murder mystery, you can very easily fit stealth and intrigue into that.

Thanks for answering. Any system will do. I just need ideas for interesting challenges and scenarios: I'll write up the crunch for those, and I already have storylines in mind.

Thrawn4
2017-07-14, 03:52 PM
Thanks for answering. Any system will do. I just need ideas for interesting challenges and scenarios: I'll write up the crunch for those, and I already have storylines in mind.

Setting would still be important. No computers in medieval times, same for forensics. Magic is another issue...
And the general plot helps as well.

Irennan
2017-07-14, 04:03 PM
Setting would still be important. No computers in medieval times, same for forensics. Magic is another issue...
And the general plot helps as well.

Right, it was actually foolish of me to leave out important info :smallredface: For the purpose of this question, the setting kinda works like your standard fantasy world, with some magitech thrown in. Mind reading and knowledge-seeking divinations are not included in the available magic.

Even tho this is a fantasy campaign, if you have any particular Sci-fi or science fantasy or w/e modules that include intrigue/stealth/infiltration scenarios or challenges that you find interesting, then they're ok too. Any good scenario will be fuel for inspiration (I'm not going to use the module as is), and the existence of magitech allows for some equivalent device to be available.

Mastikator
2017-07-14, 05:19 PM

World of Darkness is pretty good this stuff in my experience.

Irennan
2017-07-15, 08:25 PM
World of Darkness is pretty good this stuff in my experience.

If there is any stealth/intrigue module or scenario that you particularly enjoyed, I'll check that while I keep working on my campaign.