PDA

View Full Version : I made a polearm using class! I could use some help though...

CrackedChair
2017-07-11, 07:51 PM
So after a post on another website where I seeked help roleplaying a shy country girl, I finally made the character itself.

So I wished to use the Polearms that martial classes can get, due to the fact they seem rather powerful, as well as the fact that I am a sucker for pole weapons...

Here is the character sheets...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1FXcXv1VrOdM0JnN0R3ODBDLTg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1FXcXv1VrOdbHRzSHBiVlp2WlU

I thought I'd pick up Polearm Mastery to utilize the polearms to their fullest potential, and I heard Sentinel works well with it too, so when I get to level 4 I will take it too.

Any help on roleplaying, optimization, or any errors will be appreciated. Thank you.

(And yes, Unoriginal, Malifice, this is not a controversial character. So yeah.)

PloxBox
2017-07-11, 07:58 PM
quick question: how are you getting an AC of 17 with only chain mail?

CrackedChair
2017-07-11, 08:04 PM
Woops. I used to have defense fighting style, but forgot to change that. Lemme edit it! Thanks for pointing that out!

gloryblaze
2017-07-11, 08:17 PM
Is this character inspired by Nephenee from Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, by any chance?

CrackedChair
2017-07-11, 08:23 PM
Is this character inspired by Nephenee from Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, by any chance?

Ahhhh!! Yes!~ :smallbiggrin:

I did base her off that. I felt like it'd be an interesting character to play, so I went with it.

gloryblaze
2017-07-11, 08:26 PM
Ahhhh!! Yes!~ :smallbiggrin:

I did base her off that. I felt like it'd be an interesting character to play, so I went with it.

That's super cool - Nephenee is one of my favorite characters from those games. I don't know how closely you want to emulate her, but might I suggest using a glaive and javelins instead of a halberd and hand axes, to simulate the "lance" weapon type from Fire Emblem (as opposed to axes)?

CrackedChair
2017-07-11, 08:30 PM
That's super cool - Nephenee is one of my favorite characters from those games. I don't know how closely you want to emulate her, but might I suggest using a glaive and javelins instead of a halberd and hand axes, to simulate the "lance" weapon type from Fire Emblem (as opposed to axes)?

I mean, I would use a Pike, but those don't benefit as much from Polearm mastery, plus it weighs like 18 pounds for some ungodly reason. Plus I still had to stick with the equipment granted from the Fighter class, since you only get a set of equipment, unless you choose to buy it. It's just a preset in case the DM does not allow buying equipment.

I might swap the Halberd for the Glaive, but they are really the same anyways. It's just a shame you cannot choose to do piercing damage with these weapons.

CantigThimble
2017-07-11, 08:34 PM
Seems solid. Not a ton of mechanical choices to be made at level 1 but the ones you have made are strong.

One thing, the flaw implies she desires fame but she's also very shy, which usually means that she wouldn't be comfortable in the spotlight. Are you planning on trying to overcome her being shy over the course of the story? Or does she just have contradictory parts of her personality? (Like many people do)

CrackedChair
2017-07-11, 08:36 PM
Seems solid. Not a ton of mechanical choices to be made at level 1 but the ones you have made are strong.

One thing, the flaw implies she desires fame but she's also very shy, which usually means that she wouldn't be comfortable in the spotlight. Are you planning on trying to overcome her being shy over the course of the story? Or does she just have contradictory parts of her personality? (Like many people do)

Well shoot. I dunno. The character I based her off doesn't have much in the way of a flaw, so I had to come up with something. Folk heroes are from common ranks anyways, so this could be a bit of yearning that could be dangerous.

But do you have anything better? I can take anything really.

gloryblaze
2017-07-11, 08:39 PM
I mean, I would use a Pike, but those don't benefit as much from Polearm mastery, plus it weighs like 18 pounds for some ungodly reason. Plus I still had to stick with the equipment granted from the Fighter class, since you only get a set of equipment, unless you choose to buy it. It's just a preset in case the DM does not allow buying equipment.

I might swap the Halberd for the Glaive, but they are really the same anyways. It's just a shame you cannot choose to do piercing damage with these weapons.

Yeah I have no idea what the writers were thinking when they made the pike so much worse than it's fellow martial polearms! However, despite the slashing damage, the glaive has many more similarities to Fire Emblem lances than the halberd - glaives are traditionally a polearm with a single blade and maybe a hook. They're very similar to naginata, which were the Hoshidan lance equivalent in FE Fates. On the other hand, a halberd is more like a very long axe tipped with a spike, and has been featured as an axe-class weapon in several Fire Emblem games, such as Thracia 776, Binding Blade, Blazing Blade, and the Sacred Stones.

EDIT:
Well shoot. I dunno. The character I based her off doesn't have much in the way of a flaw, so I had to come up with something. Folk heroes are from common ranks anyways, so this could be a bit of yearning that could be dangerous.

But do you have anything better? I can take anything really.

I might suggest a flaw such as "I lack assertiveness and get flustered easily, and more forceful people often push me around." Think of Neph's supports with Calil in Path of Radiance, or her interaction with Heather in Radiant Dawn.

CrackedChair
2017-07-11, 08:42 PM
I might suggest a flaw such as "I lack assertiveness and get flustered easily, and more forceful people often push me around." Think of Neph's supports with Calil in Path of Radiance, or her interaction with Heather in Radiant Dawn.

Ah! That'd be nice! I will definitely use that!

I might as well switch the Halberd while I am at it too.

CantigThimble
2017-07-11, 08:45 PM
Hmm, while if you don't want to roleplay a character flaw then you can always make the flaw about something other than her personality. One of the suggested ones for folk hero is "The tyrant who ruled my land will stop at nothing to see me killed."

Alternatively a good one to synergize with her trait, and to get party mates involved, might be "I have trouble trusting anyone I haven't known for a long time." As long as there's at least one other member of your party you've known for a while you can use them as a kind of ambassador. When NPCs try to talk to you you might assume they were trying to trick you somehow unless one of your allies vouched for them first.

One thing to consider if you pick the second one is: How comfortable are you with other players messing with you? If you're okay with that then it can turn into a bit of interesting chaos if a party member lies to you, taking advantage of your trust. But if you don't then try to let the other players know that ahead of time.