PDA

View Full Version : AAA - Ruined Isle

Rizban
2017-07-11, 08:48 PM
The group planning to journey to the Ruined Isle gathers...

The Ruined Isle
Ancient ruins have been discovered on one of the uninhabited islands to the north. An archaeological expedition has been organized and will be setting forth from Port Argent. They seek experienced adventurers to serve as guards during travel and to handle any traps, curses, or denizens within the ruins. The only stipulation is the absolute restriction against looting. All artifacts are to be carefully preserved and catalogued by the archaeologists and left undisturbed until then.
A payment of 3,000 gold is to be paid to each adventurer, in advance; however, the funds are in bills of credit, which can be redeemed with most local merchants within Port Argent. All goods so purchased will be delivered to the ship and only be handed over upon departure. A regular stipend of 5 gold per week will be credited to each adventurer for the duration of the voyage, to be paid in coin on return to Port Argent. The voyage is expected to last for about three months. Shelter, provisions, travel, and general expenses will be provided by the expedition company.

Silver Night
2017-07-12, 12:22 AM
Zalis

"There was rather a lot going on, so I'll reintroduce myself now that we know we will be spending some time together. Zalis, I'm a cleric. Though not, as has been frequently brought to my attention, of any proper gnomish deity." She touches the morningstar at her waist, "I'm a scholar, rather than a more, ah, militant type. Though one must always be prepared. That's why I was interested - an archaeological expedition sounds very exciting!"

"Perhaps we should all also let the others know what we are good at? I can do some magic, including healing. I'm not too shabby with a crossbow either, if it comes to it."

Schwendigo
2017-07-12, 03:18 AM
"Sounds good, I'll go next in this second round of introductions. My name is Garrett and pretty much I hit stuff. Aside from that I'm good at taking a beating and I can handle myself in the wilderness. Also I have a bow I can use, just in case."

Lyndworm
2017-07-12, 04:10 AM
Nodding as the other two introduce themselves, R'Chik-pat makes a few rapid clicking sounds when it's his turn to speak. "My name is R'Chik-pat, and I am a hunter." The kreen pauses to seem very pleased with that statement, then continues. "I was born very far away from my home, but I remember a lot about it. Enough to make my own weapons, and to just know how to fight and track. I've never been there, but I miss it so much it hurts."

tonberryking
2017-07-12, 09:48 AM
"Oh! Wait for me, wait for me!"

The bunny person zips over to the others, standing somewhat close, but still out of reach of the gnome, looking a little frazzled.

"M-my name is Artemmy, and, well, I'm a good hunter and finder and ..um..." she fidgets, her fingers tangled in each other as she tries to remain humble/discreet about her magic, "I can cast spells? Um.. dangerous ones, not enchanting kinds."

Silver Night
2017-07-12, 08:44 PM
Zalis

"Excellent! Now we all know each other a bit better. I suggest that we figure out who we need to talk to to sign on before someone else nabs the contract. That will get us our letters of credit so we can make preparations before the trip. I expect, for example, that capturing unusual creatures might take specialized equipment. And there are likely some items that will come in handy - does anyone know much about those islands?"

Remind me ot take at least 1 rank in Know(Geography)

In the mean time, Lore: [roll0] for anything notable about the islands in question.

Lyndworm
2017-07-12, 10:19 PM
"I think I might've heard something..." says R'Chik-pat thoughtfully.

Knowledge (Geography):
[roll0]

Schwendigo
2017-07-13, 06:18 AM
"I'd guess we need to talk to the archaeologists in charge of the expedition to get the contract, though I don't know where they're at. Maybe someone at the docks would know since they probably have a boat docked there."

tonberryking
2017-07-14, 07:06 AM
Hearing this, Artemmy just sort of wanders off in the general direction of the docks and with much trepidation the hare asks the least threatening people she can brave herself to ask about the expedition and where those involved parked their ship...

[roll0] Gather information check

zlefin
2017-07-14, 12:34 PM
Trevor

Having left the inn earlier, and wandered around town some, trevor goes to the signups with the Archaeologists and signs up.
He greets others as they arrive at the spot
Hi there! Looks like we're all gonna have a fun time checking out this cool place. In terms of roles, I do little this, a little that, alot of different stuff really. But I focus on scouting and exploring.

Silver Night
2017-07-14, 09:14 PM
Zalis

Zalis will go along dock-ward, unless anyone heard of some specific office they should head to or something.

Rizban
2017-07-15, 01:04 AM
"I think I might've heard something..." says R'Chik-pat thoughtfully.

Knowledge (Geography):
[roll0]R'Chik-pat knows little about the island. It hasn't been inhabited within recorded history, though whether the discovered ruins are just that ancient or the civilization there was merely uncontacted remains to be seen. He does know that the island is mostly lush jungle rising into low mountains that dominate the center of the island. Journeying inland will be quite difficult without blazing a trail and building a road. He comes to the conclusion that the discovered ruins can't be too far inland.

Following Artemmy's lead, the group finds their way to the ship (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/6e/ac/12/6eac126057cc120b79237519569dd256.jpg). Deckhands are using a large crane to load wooden crates on the deck of the ship. After making a few inquiries among the workers, a man on deck heads below, returning a few minutes later with a woman in her late twenties (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/fe/39/49/fe394921afc3ec8349ec2e90af8e42f2.jpg), who quickly crosses the gangplank to speak with you.

"So, I hear you lot want to join my happy crew, perhaps find a little adventure."

Lyndworm
2017-07-15, 07:50 PM
"That's the idea." says R'Chik-pat, nodding an affirmation. "We'd like to join you on your journey, help make history and such. Personally, I just love traveling and ships, and I'm not afraid of pulling my own weight."

Silver Night
2017-07-15, 08:24 PM
Zalis

"A little adventure sounds perfect!"

Rizban
2017-07-15, 11:56 PM
"Ha! If a little adventure is all you can handle, then maybe you ought to look elsewhere. I can't promise to deliver so little."

She laughs at her own joke, a rather harsh and grating sound unbefitting a proper lady. As she catches her breath and wipes a tear from her eye, she apparently decides your group worth hiring.

"Right! So, let's get introductions over with. I'm sure you're as anxious to get moving as I am.

I'm Kathlene Anoklli and the leader of this fine expedition."

Silver Night
2017-07-16, 02:22 AM
Zalis

Zalis smiles at the joke, "Well, I thought a little might be better as I am not so large myself. I'm Zalis. Island ruins sound terribly interesting, do we know who left them?"

Schwendigo
2017-07-16, 06:48 AM
Stepping forward, Garrett says "I'm Garrett. When are you planning on leaving?"

zlefin
2017-07-16, 10:12 AM
Trevor

Trevor Wickham, explorer and wanderer, at your service.
quite anxious to get moving indeed! should be a fun trip, with so many new things to see.

Lyndworm
2017-07-16, 11:35 AM
"It's good to meet you, Kathlene." says the kreen. "My name is R'Chik-pat. As you guessed, I really am eager to get moving!"

Rizban
2017-07-16, 11:44 PM
Kathlene grins widely as she replies, "Aye, a pleasure it is to have you aboard. Talk with the quartermaster yonder. He'll get your contracts signed, your disbursements allotted, and your bunks assigned. Then you can toddle off to finish up your affairs before we sail."

Zalis

Zalis smiles at the joke, "Well, I thought a little might be better as I am not so large myself. I'm Zalis. Island ruins sound terribly interesting, do we know who left them?""Not as such, no. That's why we're exploring!"

Stepping forward, Garrett says "I'm Garrett. When are you planning on leaving?""The ship is set to sail as high tide flows out to sea on the morrow. I expect you to be on board before sunrise. If you miss the boat, you're out of a job. Glad you boys showed up though. I figured we were going to sail with too few for proper landing expeditions."

Silver Night
2017-07-17, 01:24 AM
Zalis

"Thanks for having us, Kathlene!"

She heads for the Quartermaster

zlefin
2017-07-17, 10:44 AM
Trevor

goes over to the quartermaster, and chuckles to himself while saying
Sign me up Scotty!

tonberryking
2017-07-17, 01:00 PM
The hare seems to hide behind everyone at some point during introductions, until the captain lady finally notices her. "Ahh... I-I'm with them. Artemmy. I am a good hunter, a founder--FINDER! I meant finder and I know some spells, um, so hire me, please?" Even under the fur she burns bright red in the cheeks when the captain explains about the quartermaster and she hastens over.

"Sh-she said we'd be assigned a bunk? Can we use it t-tonight or do we have to seek shelter elsewhere before the boat sails? Also, um, how much do we have to perform as deckhands during the d-day?" the concept that she might be exempt from being expected to work is clearly alien to Artemmy, though she will take any excuse to bolt and prepare for the journey once she's able...

Assuming that nothing stops her, Artemmy will attempt to go to a store and buy a third quiver of arrows and block and tackle/fishing supplies. Let me know if there are any mark ups or mark downs from the PHB prices of such.

Lyndworm
2017-07-17, 06:53 PM
R'Chik-pat chitter-clicks happily before responding. "If I'm not aboard by dawn you'd do best to leave without me; I'm probably dead." With that, the kreen heads off to see the quartermaster. With whatever time remains in his evening, R'Chik-pat wanders Port Argent, sampling whatever street food he can find and just taking in the town. Should any of his new companions wish to join them, he'd be more than happy to share a snack.

Would minor magical items be available for sale in Port Argent? I assume so (due to its size and importance, and also the size of our advance), but it's always worth checking. R'Chik-pat is fairly well stocked for every day adventure, so he'd be looking to supplement his skill set.

I'd like to pick upBoots of LandingMIC A Least Crystal of ReturnMIC A Lesser Crystal of Aquatic ActionMIC 3 potions of cure light wounds A potion of water breathingif possible.

I know that that's a fairly specific list, so I'm not expecting to be able to find everything. R'Chik-pat just doesn't really need any mundane items right now, so magical is the next step.

Schwendigo
2017-07-17, 08:09 PM
"Alright, I'll be off then.", Garrett then goes to the quartermaster to do all the required paperwork. Afterwards he goes to the market to shop with the credit given.

So now we have 3000gp in credit each, yes? Also wondering what's available in the market.

Rizban
2017-07-17, 10:20 PM
The quartermaster is a grizzled, older sailor (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/9c/75/e0/9c75e0182ddfc9619bab39535a3f2d03.jpg) dressed in clothes common to the peoples of Mori-Zeel. He produces some standard work contracts from a scroll case, has you sign them, and then returns them to the case. He gives each of you a handful of scripts worth 3,000gp and informs you that the cabin boy will show you your bunks as soon as you return, so long as the gangplank is still down.

Anything in the PHB is available. (almost) Anything from any other source valued at 1,000gp or less is readily available, as is +1 magic armor. Anything more expensive that you'd like to purchase, I'd request that you roll either a Gather Information or Knowledge (local) check against a DC equal to 10 + (price/250) to determine whether or not it's available. Each such check will take 1 hour of time. You have less than 14 hours until they raise the gangplank and make ready to sail. It's evening now, and high tide will peak just before 7 am tomorrow.

I'm also going to preemptively ban Candle of Invocation, Thought Bottle, and all Amber Amulets of Vermin.

Lyndworm
2017-07-17, 10:45 PM
The kreen wanders the port city almost aimlessly, letting his antennae lead him from scent to scent. He occasionally ducks into a shop here or there, and picks up a few useful items for the journey ahead. This is going to be a good trip. He thinks to himself.

I deliberately kept requests to 1,000gp or below, so I'll just assume that R'Chik-pat finds what he was looking for.

Thanks for such a speedy response.

Schwendigo
2017-07-18, 01:10 PM
Garrett looks through the shops and picks out some things he feels would be useful. He then returns to the ship in search of his bunk.

Major items Garrett bought:

Iron ward diamond, least 500gp
Crystal of life drinking, least 400gp
Cloak of elemental protection 1000gp
Magic bedroll 500gp
Everlasting rations 350gp
Everburning torch 110gp
Cold iron longsword 30gp
Silver longsowrd 105gp
2 potions of cure light wounds 100gp
2 potions of enlarge person 100gp
Total cost: 3195

zlefin
2017-07-18, 01:16 PM
Fallar

I ask of the quartermaster:
Can I just get paid the 3000 in cash when we're done with the mission? Nothing I really want to buy at the moment.

Silver Night
2017-07-18, 02:55 PM
Zalis

Zalis, suddenly vaguely worried about the possibility of missing the departure of the ship, hurries off to do her shopping and returns as quickly as possible.

Requested Items:
Wand of Lesser Restoration (750)
Magic Bedroll (500)
Everlasting Rations (350)
Vest of Resistance +1 (1000)
Crystal of Stamina, Least (300)

tonberryking
2017-07-18, 06:27 PM
Artemmy doesn't take much time to get her supplies and head back to the ship, only pausing to eat another meal, and (perhaps literally) burrows herself in her bunk, keeping to herself and not saying much to the others.

Rizban
2017-07-22, 10:14 PM
Fallar

I ask of the quartermaster:
Can I just get paid the 3000 in cash when we're done with the mission? Nothing I really want to buy at the moment.
He agrees to a payout, assuming you survive the trip. The pay of anyone who dies on the expedition will go to their next of kin or a suitable charitable organization tied to one of the local religions if no kin can reasonably be located.

The bunks you've been assigned are in a smaller side cabin in the underbelly of the ship just above the water line. Though rife with a humidity that never seems to dry, your cabin isn't actually wet. The cabin has a hammock for each of you along with a thin blanket. A single sea chest is present in the room with a heavy iron key fitted into the lock, apparently meant for storage of whatever your party deems necessary to secure under lock and key. There's a single large hook from which a lantern hangs, magical light with no actual combustion, of course. The room is otherwise bare.

The next morning, you're awakened before dawn by the cabin boy who says that all hands are required to be on deck for the captain's speech before the launching of the ship.

Silver Night
2017-07-22, 10:22 PM
Zalis

Zalis basically falls out of her hammock, not used to sleeping with such an odd arrangement. She takes a minute to get her armor on and head up to the deck.

zlefin
2017-07-23, 08:47 AM
Trevor

trevor wanders around the ship and town some, then settles down for the night, quite happily enjoying the hammock. at the word from the cabin boy trevor leaps out of bed and goes up to the deck.
Speeeeech! wooh! let's hear it for the awesome speech coming!

Schwendigo
2017-07-23, 01:14 PM
Garrett yawns and stretches as he gets out of his bunk, ready for the upcoming day of sailing. He dons his armor and greatsword, then gives a small shake to the rabbit's hammock to make sure she's awake before making his way up to the deck.

Lyndworm
2017-07-23, 06:51 PM
R'Chik-pat doesn't come back to the ship that night but, true to his word, strolls up to the ship just before dawn. He'd been out wandering the city, taking in all the sights, sounds, and smells the night had to offer. He gathers on the deck with the others, eager to get under way.

tonberryking
2017-07-26, 03:53 PM
Artemmy piled her three quivers and her blanket onto the last remaining 'bunk'; though she had arrived back on the boat early, the timid hare waited for everyone else to pick a hammock before she dove into her 'burrow'. Literally. Seems she was capable of more magic than she let on as she shrank into the form of a real hare without explaining herself and disappeared in the mess, her cramped quarters now much bigger and offering more protection!

When she awakens, the hybrid Artemmy reappears and bustles out loaded up with arrows and her typical non-courage, flinching at Trevor's outburst.

Rizban
2017-11-10, 12:28 AM
You wait for what feels like months, but is surely only a few minutes. Eventually, the captain makes her appearance (https://i.pinimg.com/564x/14/b8/38/14b838a631ca3fd6af154f382494a3f7.jpg). She gives a fairly generic speech emphasizing that this may not be a navy ship, but it will be run as one. No one will be caught slacking, or they'll be confined to the brig with minimal rations until they learn the value of hard work. She lays out a few other expectations of the crew, gives a few traditional inspirational words that everyone expects to hear, and dismisses the gathering to set sail.

The group of you have no duties at this exact moment other than staying out of the way of those working to cast off and get out to sea.

Silver Night
2017-11-11, 03:28 AM
Zalis

Zalis addresses the rest of the adventuring group, "Have any of you traveled far by boat before? Maybe we will see a sea monster."

Lyndworm
2017-11-11, 06:24 PM
"I have," says R'Chik-pat. "But the only monsters I ever saw at sea were the people."

Schwendigo
2017-11-11, 10:40 PM
Garrett thinks back and says, "Nope, can't say I have ever traveled on the open water before. A sea monster does sound exciting though." Garrett smiles a little while imagining fighting such a beast.

tonberryking
2017-11-12, 03:21 PM
Artemmy shakes a little at the thought of sea monsters. "I.. I um, know a little about sailing but...I'm better in a kitchen." She doesn't know them well enough, or think it proper for her to say she would rather be a cook and life a happy fattening life rather than be an adventure but she's also thankful to still be alive to have these thoughts.

Excusing herself at the earliest opportunity, Artemmy scrambles down into the galley to see if it's a place she may be welcome to help in...

Rizban
2017-11-21, 01:23 AM
You spend many days on the ship while traveling and are expected to work and work hard over the course of the voyage. Though most of you are completely useless at first, a few of the more patient sailors take the time to teach you new skills. You each earn a permanent untyped bonus of [roll0] on Profession (sailor) checks and [roll1] on Use Rope checks.

One clear day, you hear the man posted in the crow's nest shout "LAND HO!"

Running to the railing with the rest of the crew, you eventually make out a faint smudge of green on the horizon. Your destination is in sight at last!

Schwendigo
2017-11-24, 10:47 AM
Garrett sees the island in the distance, "Finally, now on to the real work." Garrett then tries to squint to make out anything else about the island. [roll0]

Rizban
2017-11-24, 02:34 PM
As you start to draw closer to the island, Garrett spots what appears to be a weathered wooden beam floating in the waters to the port of the ship. Or rather, it seems to be affixed where it is while the small waves lap around it...

tonberryking
2017-11-25, 02:05 PM
Though ever nervous, the hare hengeyokai seems to also be in a state of preparation, Artemmy braving the rocking of the boat as it approaches land and looks over the area Garret spied.

"Th-those look like shallows; maybe we'll have to take out the rowboats?"

[roll0]

Schwendigo
2017-11-25, 03:12 PM
Seeing the stationary beam in the water, Garrett calls out to the captain "Captain, there looks to be a shipwreck off the port side."

Silver Night
2017-11-26, 08:17 PM
Zalis

Zalis hurries to look as well - though she is, alas, a bit nearsighted.

Spot - [roll0]

Lyndworm
2017-11-27, 05:25 PM
"A shipwreck, Garrett?" asks R'Chik-pat as he finishes his task. "I was under the impression that our expedition was the first." The kreen moves closer to the port side so that he can get a better look at Garrett's wreck.

Spot:
[roll0]

Silver Night
2017-11-30, 02:33 AM
Zalis

Zalis squints, "I don't see anything."