PDA

View Full Version : An effective Eldritch Theurge?

Swooper
2007-08-07, 05:00 AM
I recently aquired the Complete Mage supplement. In there is an interesting PrC, the Eldritch Theurge. I'm pondering using it for a BBEG or a BBEG's sidekick in an upcoming campaign of mine, but I need help with making it effective. We all know the problem with dualcasting classes, but if you think of it as a warlock PrC that sacrifices three levels and gets arcane casting instead, plus some gimicks, it looks pretty good, actually. In theory anyway.

So, what feats would you recommend for such a build? Also, quite important: What to do with the four levels after Wiz3/Wlc3/ET10? The way I see it, there aren't that many good PrCs for warlocks, unfortunately. Archmage? Fatespinner?

Relevant books available are Core, PHB2, all completes save Champion and Scoundrel.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-07, 05:21 AM
Can you wrangle Ultimate Magus to apply to arcane spells and invocations? You could always houserule it if you're the DM.

Swooper
2007-08-07, 05:36 AM
I'm fairly certain UM is strictly prepared arcane/spontant arcane. Iirc, PrCs that state "+1 to level of arcane spellcasting class" don't advance warlock casting, ones that don't specify arcane or divine do. So UM is propably out. I'm at work and don't have my books so I can't check.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-07, 05:47 AM
But you're the DM: just homebrew a class that does it. Base it off UM to save work.

Swooper
2007-08-07, 05:57 AM
Well I could do that. I'm not good at homebrewing stuff though, and I still want some ideas as to what else I could do, which is why I came here. :smallwink:

Dausuul
2007-08-07, 08:07 AM
Well I could do that. I'm not good at homebrewing stuff though, and I still want some ideas as to what else I could do, which is why I came here. :smallwink:

I don't have the book in front of me, but I tried making up a high-level eldritch theurge BBEG a while back.

What I recall is that the eldritch theurge special abilities are what really make the class, particularly the one that lets you put eldritch essences into your spells.

Swooper
2007-08-07, 09:01 AM
Agreed. The 10th level ability seems nasty, delivering a touch spell from 250' away (because Eldritch Spear is usually mandatory). I'd be interested in seeing your build though, if you can dig it up.

slexlollar89
2007-08-07, 04:36 PM
just had a waky thought: what about duskblade? you get better armor to cast in, and a butload of touch spells, and i think a little arcane channeling. as i dont have the book open i dont know about this for sure, but it's athought.

otherwise, assassin (int casting and death atk, plus it's a cool idea) or just continue woth warlock to get better invocations and DR and blasting and all the good stuff.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-07, 04:40 PM
Beguiler 3/Warlock 3/Eldritch Theurge 10 is pretty nice, though you still have 4 levels left to work with.