PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew cursed item

TheManicMonocle
2017-07-12, 03:13 AM
So I was thinking it would be cool to design an item that gives a player more power for a cost, here's my idea:

Cursed Talisman: Once per day, you may cast any spell you know at the highest level you can cast without spending a spell slot. If you do, you permanently lose one spell slot of the highest level you can cast.

This is meant to be a desperate times kind of deal, I imagine the players would only ever use it if they're out of spell slots.

I was also thinking about one that degrades your max hp.

LuccMa
2017-07-12, 03:49 AM
Knowing my casters they would throw it away the instant they get it.
Maybe don't make it permanent. Make it "block" the Spell-Slot for a period of time, maybe a month, maybe a year. Depending on the game you're running it can effectively be the same as losing it permanently but your players might actually use it.

Vaz
2017-07-12, 04:25 AM
Yeah, that's going in the Bag of Holding marked "never use".

Sounds awful, and one I'd mever use if I was aware of its curse, and if I wasn't aware of the curse, and you pulled that, I'd be pretty salty.

In character and out of character.

nickl_2000
2017-07-12, 06:48 AM
Agreed, it would go in the first well or cesspit I found. Even if it blocked it for a week I wouldn't bother with it.

Mellack
2017-07-12, 10:27 AM
I have to agree with the others, I would never use that. I would be trying to find a way to rip anything valuable out of it. Melt it for the gold value, use it as a magical lure, anything but how it is designed.

Emay Ecks
2017-07-12, 11:52 AM
What if you did something instead, like the spell applying a level of exhaustion per spell level of the spell (up to a maximum of 5). It still has that desperate spell-feel, players won't cast needlessly using it. However, recovery will only take about a week instead of never, which is something players will still be hesitant about using, but not unwilling to do.

TheManicMonocle
2017-07-12, 04:18 PM
What if you did something instead, like the spell applying a level of exhaustion per spell level of the spell (up to a maximum of 5). It still has that desperate spell-feel, players won't cast needlessly using it. However, recovery will only take about a week instead of never, which is something players will still be hesitant about using, but not unwilling to do.

That's a good idea! Alternatively, what if the item just gave you all your spell slots back in exchange for not being able to regain slots for 2d6 days?