PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Dispelling buffs question

xkroku
2017-07-12, 04:45 AM
My players are about to fight a boss in a dungeon. He is 15 lvl enchanter, and he will not fight directly, but instead try to take control of PCs to gain what he wants.

My only problem is tha one of the players (gish type character) has Protection from Evil that I'm sure he'll use, and it will block even Charm Person :smallfrown:

The BBEG will 100% spot the spells due to Abjuration energy fluctuations.

So my question is: is there a way to dispell the Protection from Evil without him noticing? Is Invisible Greater Dispel Magic enough? Or is there a way to bypass it? (I know only of the Necrotic Cyst+Necrotic Tumor, but Prot from Evil stops the Necroti Cyst)

AlanBruce
2017-07-12, 04:51 AM
My players are about to fight a boss in a dungeon. He is 15 lvl enchanter, and he will not fight directly, but instead try to take control of PCs to gain what he wants.

My only problem is tha one of the players (gish type character) has Protection from Evil that I'm sure he'll use, and it will block even Charm Person :smallfrown:

The BBEG will 100% spot the spells due to Abjuration energy fluctuations.

So my question is: is there a way to dispell the Protection from Evil without him noticing? Is Invisible Greater Dispel Magic enough? Or is there a way to bypass it? (I know only of the Necrotic Cyst+Necrotic Tumor, but Prot from Evil stops the Necroti Cyst)

I believe the target of a Dispel Magic knows they have had their buffs taken out (but don't quote me on that one).

However, if the Enchanter in question has ways to catch the PC by surprise, he could cast an Invisible Spell Dispel magic, followed by a Quickened Spell of your choice to incapacitate him somehow.

All this done while under the effects of Superior Invisibility, so it's a lot harder for the PCs to see him, barring True Seeing.

Anxe
2017-07-12, 09:32 AM
If you'd like, quickened dispel magic is the way to go. Or just having another caster in the fight who dispels for the Bad Guy.

You don't necessarily have to do that though. You could just let the PC feel good about himself for casting Protection from Evil and being immune while everyone else is making saving throws.

denthor
2017-07-12, 10:29 AM
Pure speculation

It does not matter if a character knows that one of his spells are down.

Once combat is started.

Player cast spells

Engage round 1. Does whatever

Enemy round 1 cast dispel magic make random dice roll your dice say you take down spell pro evil.

Round 2 Player now has options continue with follow thru of last round or disengage and recast spell. Provided they can .

Enemy round 2 continue plan you have set up for strategy.

Where does it matter what spell comes down who knows or otherwise cares? Just make sure you keep track of spells capacity of casting and time needed.

xkroku
2017-07-12, 10:44 AM
Pure speculation

It does not matter if a character knows that one of his spells are down.

Once combat is started.

Player cast spells

Engage round 1. Does whatever

Enemy round 1 cast dispel magic make random dice roll your dice say you take down spell pro evil.

Round 2 Player now has options continue with follow thru of last round or disengage and recast spell. Provided they can .

Enemy round 2 continue plan you have set up for strategy.

Where does it matter what spell comes down who knows or otherwise cares? Just make sure you keep track of spells capacity of casting and time needed.

Yeah, the thing is I do not want the combat to start. The evil guy just want something from them, and he would prefer not to get in direct combat

Anxe
2017-07-12, 01:47 PM
I just thought of Otiluke's Dispelling Screen. It's is a good way to do the dispel without an action, but it's fairly obvious to the target.

xkroku
2017-07-12, 02:42 PM
I just thought of Otiluke's Dispelling Screen. It's is a good way to do the dispel without an action, but it's fairly obvious to the target.

Hey, that's a great idea! But it needs an upgrade... How about: Invisible Dispelling Screen!