PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder SoP-War Sphere-Momentum Talents: How do they work actually?

Hal0Badger
2017-07-12, 07:42 AM
What the title says. I can understand what the each momentum talent does, but I have problem with how you define your momentum pool, how you activate it and how you recharge it.

Can you use your momentum pool to use your own momentum abilities? I am asking because there is a line that says that "A War caster who has at least one (Momentum) talent can use that talent as a standard action by spending a spell point."

Following that it says it activates your momentum pool. A couple of sentences later it says: "Using a (momentum) talent refills the momentum pool to its maximum value (any surplus momentum generated is lost). "

So, how does it work exactly? You use a spell point and a standart action to activate it? What about swift action momentum skills? can they be used to activate your momentum pool, or would they cost a standard action alongside a spell point? Does it recharge everytime when someone uses a momentum talent from my pool (which would make it infinite) ?

Mehangel
2017-07-12, 08:24 PM
My understanding is that once a character gains a momentum talent, they may as a standard action spend a spell point to gain a momentum pool (equal to Caster Level + Casting Ability Modifier). As long as the caster has a momentum pool, allies (including yourself) may spend momentum to utilize any momentum talents the caster possesses. Once the pool is empty (or expires), it requires the caster to spend another spell point as a standard action to refill the momentum pool.

A.J.Gibson
2017-07-12, 11:25 PM
My understanding is that once a character gains a momentum talent, they may as a standard action spend a spell point to gain a momentum pool (equal to Caster Level + Casting Ability Modifier). As long as the caster has a momentum pool, allies (including yourself) may spend momentum to utilize any momentum talents the caster possesses. Once the pool is empty (or expires), it requires the caster to spend another spell point as a standard action to refill the momentum pool.

Precisely. You use the talent to create a momentum pool, then allies (you are your own ally) may spend momentum to accomplish any effect you have a momentum talent for. It is similar to the way you use enhancement to enhance a weapon, and then attack with the weapon. Refilling a momentum pool always refills it to full.

Hal0Badger
2017-07-13, 12:58 AM
Okay that's nice.

Can I use the talents benefit while activating my momentum pool?

Example; Can I use Agressive Momentum ability, to get an extra attack, and spend a spell point to use so it activates my momentum pool?

Or, Do I need to spend a spell point as a standard action (and do nothing) ?

A.J.Gibson
2017-07-13, 01:17 AM
Can I use the talents benefit while activating my momentum pool?

Example; Can I use Agressive Momentum ability, to get an extra attack, and spend a spell point to use so it activates my momentum pool?

Or, Do I need to spend a spell point as a standard action (and do nothing) ?

You need to spend a separate action. Think of it this way: when you cast haste, you give people the ability to take an extra attack. You can't use the extra attack to cast haste. Using the momentum talent is a sphere ability that requires a standard action, while spending momentum is an action any ally can take that uses momentum, but is not the same as actually using the ability (and is not a sphere ability at all).

The idea is that you use the momentum talent before the battle, since the duration is in hours. If you find you're going through it fast enough that you actually need to recast during battle, consider taking the resourcefulness talent.

Hal0Badger
2017-07-13, 01:39 AM
My bad, I did not realize the momentum pool lasts for hours. It makes so much sense right now. Thank you all for the help.