PDA

View Full Version : How does Greyhawk Initiative interact with certain abilities?

Tsubodai
2017-07-12, 08:17 AM
Hi all,

A quick search seems to show that this question has not been asked yet;

How do the rules released in UA for Greyhawk Initiative interact with abilities that are triggered on rolling for initiative? Because with Greyhawk Initiative you roll for initiative once a round, rather than once an encounter.
For example, the Monk's capstone states that if you have no ki remaining, when you roll for initiative you regain 4 ki points.
Does this mean that with Greyhawk Initiative, you would regain 4 ki every turn, if you spent it all the previous turn?
So would a Monk of the Long Death, who can spend a ki point to drop to 1 HP rather than 0 HP, be even harder to knock out?

DeTess
2017-07-12, 08:20 AM
Hi all,

A quick search seems to show that this question has not been asked yet;

How do the rules released in UA for Greyhawk Initiative interact with abilities that are triggered on rolling for initiative? Because with Greyhawk Initiative you roll for initiative once a round, rather than once an encounter.
For example, the Monk's capstone states that if you have no ki remaining, when you roll for initiative you regain 4 ki points.
Does this mean that with Greyhawk Initiative, you would regain 4 ki every turn, if you spent it all the previous turn?
So would a Monk of the Long Death, who can spend a ki point to drop to 1 HP rather than 0 HP, be even harder to knock out?

A quick application of common sense would be that any ability that now triggers of rolling imitative will instead only trigger of the first initiative roll of any fight, so nothing changes.

Tsubodai
2017-07-12, 08:21 AM
But RAW, would it work as I stated?

WickerNipple
2017-07-12, 08:42 AM

RAW is a pretty silly approach when you're talking about playtest rules.

It clearly should be played as Randuir said.

DeTess
2017-07-12, 08:50 AM

RAW, it would probably work as you described. RAW, the DM is also allowed to kick you out of the group if you suggest playing it this way :smalltongue:

Tsubodai
2017-07-12, 08:59 AM
RAW, it would probably work as you described. RAW, the DM is also allowed to kick you out of the group if you suggest playing it this way :smalltongue:

Ok, thanks. At the moment I am the DM, so that isn't a worry, but I was just curious about this, as my group tends to go on RAW rather than RAI or anything else.

PloxBox
2017-07-12, 10:03 AM
I personally find things like the monk's Stunning strike to be just as problematic. You stun target on turn 1. Since that creature can't declare as action, it can't roll dice and would be out of that round of initiative. Thus, if monk went first on turn 1 then ask the allies get free shots on the stunned target while the stunned target gets to do nothing. Same applies to any "until the beginning/end of your next turn" effects.

Matrix_Walker
2017-07-12, 10:07 AM
If you go by the RAW, you cannot use Greyhawk Initiative.

If you use Greyhawk Initiative, you are no longer using the RAW (Obviously) and should make things work as close to RAI as possible.

The assumption in the RAW is that initiative is rolled once at the beginning of combat, ergo, any ability that references the initiative roll is balanced to occur once at the beginning of combat.

If you give what is normally a fight starting benefit on every round of combat, those abilities will vastly outperform both the RAW and more importantly the RAI.

If you try to use the Greyhawk system in good faith, it's useful to note that reaction based movement (Like the Vengence Pally's level 7 feature or Rogue/Scout's Skirmisher ability) become FAR more attractive.