PDA

View Full Version : Warlock E6 Optimization

JNAProductions
2017-07-12, 11:46 AM
Thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?530059-A-story-with-a-Twist&p=22187705&posted=1#post22187705).

I'm looking to make the best Warlock I can, with the restrictions. To sum it up:

-6th level
-Standard WBL, but it looks like I won't have it after the intro. In other words, I don't want to rely on equipment.
-Human race
-32 Point Buy
-All PRC's are feats. You can take a PRC feat as soon as you meet the prereqs for the PRC and it grants the class features of the PRC's first level. You do not gain BAB, Skill points, Saves. Base classes do not EXIST past level 6. Any +1 spellcasting progression granted by PRC's will never progress a class past 6th level casting.

How does one do?

ATHATH
2017-07-12, 12:51 PM
Dip Enlightened Spirit?

A Binder might be appropriate, and Naberius will let you play around with Symbionts and the like.

Hm... If you wanted to cheese the system, I'd recommend dipping into as many base classes as possible, then using theurge classes and the like to bring them all up to (effective) level 6.

JNAProductions
2017-07-12, 12:53 PM
Dip Enlightened Spirit?

A Binder might be appropriate, and Naberius will let you play around with Symbionts and the like.

Hm... If you wanted to cheese the system, I'd recommend dipping into as many base classes as possible, then using theurge classes and the like to bring them all up to (effective) level 6.

Oh, forgot to ask-can you include book references? I have a lot of the books, but cannot remember where all the classes are.

And do go into more detail! These sound fun!

Fouredged Sword
2017-07-12, 01:00 PM
Dip Enlightened Spirit?

No thurgic monstrosity will be accepted into my game. I recommend thinking more "What interesting thing can I do?" rather than "How can I break this." This is for a heavy social game with a focus on politics and courtly intrigue. There is a large twist the player is not currently aware of that will need to be adapted to on the fly after the game has started. The game starts at level 6 with zero epic feats.

A binder dip does sound cool though. You would trade a lesser invocation for the ability to bind. I THINK this plays well with the binder/ arcane casting PRC, I will check my book when I get home.

JNAProductions
2017-07-12, 01:02 PM
No thurgic monstrosity will be accepted into my game. I recommend thinking more "What interesting thing can I do?" rather than "How can I break this." This is for a heavy social game with a focus on politics and courtly intrigue. There is a large twist the player is not currently aware of that will need to be adapted to on the fly after the game has started. The game starts at level 6 with zero epic feats.

A binder dip does sound cool though.

I'd want to see how the Theurgic Monster would work. I wouldn't submit it (except as a joke) but I'd like to be potent.

I mean, I'm obviously not going for max cheese. Warlock is, what, T3, generally? So I'm just looking to make sure I'm useful at all times.

Fouredged Sword
2017-07-12, 01:05 PM
I think the idea of a thurgic monstrosity would be to go Wizard 2 / Cleric 2 / Sorcerer 2 and then cheese your way though 4 levels of mystic thurge and ultimate magus for 6/6/6 casting.

Come to think of it, that isn't actually that scary. Your save DC's would suffer. Lots of spell slots, lots of utility, not a whole lot of punch, especially to start off with. This is lean forward E6, so a wizard 6 will potentially have access to 4th level spells.

ATHATH
2017-07-12, 01:06 PM
Oh, forgot to ask-can you include book references? I have a lot of the books, but cannot remember where all the classes are.

And do go into more detail! These sound fun!
Enlightened Spirit is from Complete Mage, and is normally terrible because it doesn't actually advance your Warlock stuff, but instead pretends to by boosting your EB damage and giving you a few pre-set invocations. Fortunately, for this game, it doesn't matter that it won't advance Warlock stuff...

Binders (pretty much the only well-done thing in Tome of Magic) can bind Naberius, which will let them regenerate ability damage (and, to a lesser extent, ability drain) super quickly. Combine this with stuff that is balanced by causing ability damage, such as Symbionts (http://www.realmshelps.net/magic/items/grafts.shtml) and those rituals from... I think it was either Lords of Madness or Lords of Darkness, but I'm not sure.

Basically, my cheese-plan (TM) starts with a build of, say, Wizard 1/Sorcerer 1/Cleric 1/Druid 1/Binder 1/Warlock 1. Then you start taking single levels in stuff like Anima Mage and Ultimate Magus until you run out of theurgery (theurgury?) classes, at which point you start taking levels in "normal" PrCs that advance spellcasting at 1st level. Long-term, it's probably one of the best strategies, but the game is not likely to go on for that long, so you might want to go for something like, oh, Warlock 1/Binder 1/Cleric 4 or the like.

Fouredged Sword
2017-07-12, 01:22 PM
Actually, Enlightened Spirit is a pretty good PRC for this set up. It keeps progressing your EB and you gain access to flight at the 3rd feat without burning your lesser invocation. It grants interesting access to some higher level warlock stuff as you go (one greater blast shape at the 5th feat? Yes please!). Earlier you get anti-undead free ghost touch blasts. Late game you are an anti-magic pain the the ass with unlimited greater dispel magic that heals the party when it works.

It locks you into being Good, but that is not the worst thing in the world.

JNAProductions
2017-07-12, 01:24 PM
Okay, here's my basic build: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1269985

Let me know what I can do better! And I like taking Grafts-I've never done a character with them before. I'll have to figure out how to work them into my backstory, but I'm up to the challenge.

Fouredged Sword
2017-07-12, 01:41 PM
I would point you to the Fleshwarper PRC. It would fill in your lost Warlock level and give you interesting options to twist your form. I will accept Obtain familiar as meeting the Familiar class feature prereq.

ATHATH
2017-07-12, 01:55 PM
Actually, Enlightened Spirit is a pretty good PRC for this set up. It keeps progressing your EB and you gain access to flight at the 3rd feat without burning your lesser invocation. It grants interesting access to some higher level warlock stuff as you go (one greater blast shape at the 5th feat? Yes please!). Earlier you get anti-undead free ghost touch blasts. Late game you are an anti-magic pain the the ass with unlimited greater dispel magic that heals the party when it works.

It locks you into being Good, but that is not the worst thing in the world.
Wait, you can take multiple feats to go beyond a 1st level dip? Can you go past 6th level in a PrC?

That's a WHOLE different can of beans, then...

Also, remember that Warlock casting/invocations can be advanced by PrCs that advance spellcasting (but only up to 6th level in this system, of course).

Elocator sounds fun, especially if you dip Psion or PsyWar 1.