PDA

View Full Version : Your first Dice

StickMan
2007-08-07, 08:39 AM
After reading the Dice Help thread I could not help but think about my first set of dice. It was the summer between Middle school and high school and me and my friends were just taking are first step into the RPG life with the star wars role playing game. I got my mom to drive to me a gaming store that was some what far off but the only one we had anywhere in the area. To be quite honest I felt quite awkward in the store being my first time feeling slightly out of place as I was also looking at the expansion books for the game and realy had no clue what I was doing The store had dice bins and I selected a group of mismatched marbled dice. These dice served me well for years but over time I lost a few of them and finally had to buy a new set last year. I still love my first set of dice and will always remember them they took me from the star wars role playing game in DND.

Anyone else have a story about your first set of dice?

PlatinumJester
2007-08-07, 08:47 AM
Mine was a set of DnD dice that were all see through and multi coloured. I still have them all.

RS14
2007-08-07, 08:51 AM
I got my first dice after playing DnD on the forums here for a few weeks. Black with gold lettering. I've still got them all, though I've added an extra d6 to the set (it only came with one).

evisiron
2007-08-07, 08:54 AM
I got my first d6's with a box of warhammer.

As for D-others, I really can't remember. And that annoys me now :smallmad:

Miraqariftsky
2007-08-07, 08:57 AM
Hmm, they were four d6es with the classic black on white coloration. But then of course, they were right darn old and mildewed and found in a rotted old shoebox...

Yeril
2007-08-07, 09:02 AM
I remember I was facinated with my friends dice so when I went to get my own I was thrilled, I was torn between which colour so later that day I went home with 4 packs. all the same style a translucent colour, in green, purple blue and orange, I then got some charcoal grey ones later, followed by a speckled blue, then my next favrioute set of "Speckled cobolt" and "Speckled Ruby"

I think I have about 10 sets now, give or take the odd lost dice.

RTGoodman
2007-08-07, 09:05 AM
The first time I played D&D, I borrowed a random set of dice from the communal dice bucket that my older friends (i.e., the ones that had been playing for a few years) had sitting around. Being hooked after that first night, I searched until I found the nearest gaming store (about 25-30 minutes away) and went there in search of dice and a miniature.

I picked up a mini (my character was a half-orc barbarian named Krugg) that may have actually been some sort of Warhammer-type half-ogre thing, but it still looked cool. The dice? I can't remember the company (they sold dice in long plastic tubes rather than in rectangular boxes), but the dice were basically just black with white writing. Or so I thought. Once I got home I got them out to test them, only to realize that not only were they pretty cool, they were also translucent and when held up to the light actually appeared to be a sort of greyish amber color.

I've still got those dice (plus 3 other d6s that sort of match them that I've collected over the years), but I don't really use them that much anymore. They stopped rolling well, so I've replaced them with a red and gold set that I bought used (which my players refuse to let me use while I DM, because they roll so well).

nagora
2007-08-07, 09:06 AM
I had to send away fro my first set of dice to a mathematic-teaching-aids company! I still have them but the d20 is practically a sphere now and the d8 is badly chipped. They're about 30 years old now and they don't get asked to do any real work any more out of respect.

Aramil Liadon
2007-08-07, 09:13 AM
I first had a pile of random dice, all in different colours. One d6 had the numbers printed instead of the dots, and another had mathematical functions on them.

Lord Herman
2007-08-07, 09:18 AM
My first dice was a matched set of green pearl dice. I believe I actually got them before I started playing D&D - I bought the green pearl d20 as a life counter for Magic: the Gathering, and then decided I had to have a complete set of dice.

Unfortunately, I lost that set a few years ago, along with my homemade felt dice bag. I then made a new bag, and bought six sets of pearl dice, in every colour available. I later also got some gold pearl, silver pearl and bronze pearl six-siders.

CrazedGoblin
2007-08-07, 09:58 AM
My dice have a black background with yellow numbers and dragon carvings on them :smallbiggrin:

adanedhel9
2007-08-07, 12:38 PM
A tube of Kaplow dice; translucent green with white lettering. I think somebody got it for me for Christmas shortly after I started gaming. For a while it was the only set of dice at the game I ran... which, thinking about it now, makes me wonder how anything ever happened in that game.

My dice bag is mostly filled with Chessex dice now, but I still have that original set. Compared to the Chessex dice, though, they just look chintzy.

Eldred
2007-08-07, 12:41 PM
I remember buying my first set - brighty bright yellow with black numbers. They were fun. I gave them to a friend when I got a new set of tiny gold dice (which are perfect for DMing). I also got a new orange d20 which has been known to roll 19s up to three times in a row. :smallamused:

Ego Slayer
2007-08-07, 12:59 PM
I even have a crappy old picture!
(I don't know why. o.O)
My preeecioussss!

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/5297/dice2fu8.gif

MountainKing
2007-08-07, 01:09 PM
My first set of dice look exactly like that second line of dice you've got there! Super GG!

As for my myriad other ones... well, I have one matching set, and then an amalgamation of other dice that combined I think adds up to another complete set, and the random other d6/d20s. I started out using my dice as life counters for M:TG as well, so, since I hated it when I was the only one with dice, I made it a goal of mine to make sure I always had enough to share!

blue_fenix
2007-08-07, 04:40 PM
The first set of dice I used regularly was a horridly purple set borrowed from a friend. You see, I had this slightly crazy dwarven cleric in a group that included a monk. The monk would die in essentially every major adventure/encounter at least once, and I would always resurrect him (my dm didn't impose resurrection penalties). One day, a BBEG managed to kill off the entire party except for me and the monk. I exclaim "The cleric runs up and hugs the monk out of sheer joy" and the dm responds with "roll a will save." I do so, relay the result, and am told by the dm "that confirms it, your character is gay." From then on, I used the purple set of "gay dice" at every session.

Several weeks later, the character finally died when the campaign ended in a glorious party wipe. Thus, it was the perfect time to retire the gay dice and go buy my own. The store was out of good blue sets, so I bought an awesome set of translucent black dice.

Missing Shoe
2007-08-07, 04:50 PM
Heh, cant say I'm a big fan of my first dice. Got a set of nice bright red ones. The d20 is famous in my group for rolling three 1's in a row. The only die that seems to roll well in the set is the d12, and we all know how often that gets used.

Still have them though. Never know when jinxed dice will come in handy.

Mr the Geoff
2007-08-07, 05:13 PM
First game I borrowed a set from whoever was least superstitious about letting someone else touch a set of their dice. Once I decided this d&d lark my firends were doing was actually good fun and announced my intention to make it a regular thing, my group bought me my first set of dice (easy when one of them owns a gaming store), a lovely set of "strawberry" chessex dice, and one of them sewed me a dice bag.

Nothing makes a set of dice more special than them being a gift, and to this day that set still outrolls my other dice. Strangely I have never rolled a 20 in combat with them, but the sheer quantity of 15s-19s more than makes up for that.

Penguinsushi
2007-08-07, 05:19 PM
i think my first gaming dice were a box of d10's i bought for a whitewolf game.

I think my first set of dice was black and silver speckled chessex set. I now have two sets of those and two sets of some similar white and black speckled ones that I use along with the 30th anniv. die as my primary gaming dice.

~PS

Hell Puppi
2007-08-07, 05:27 PM
I got mine at a gaming store that's no longer around. It's also the same place where I played my first game of rifts and met almost all of my current friends.

I think the first one I got was a purple sparkly d20. I was amazed at how many dice everyone else had, and later came to realize this is because they got lost/destroyed/ left someplace.
We had a d4 that they called the Locknar. It gave epicly bad luck. That dice was also how I managed to get a blessed chainsaw.

Mad Scientist
2007-08-07, 05:34 PM
I got my first set of dice in middle school from a neighbor as a thank you for feeding her dog, getting the mail, and watering the plants while they were on vacation. I'm not sure how she knew I was into D&D, but she got me a rectangular tube with a full set of dark green sparkly dice with white numbers. I loved them! But I stopped gaming in high school so they sat in the toy cupboard until my mom claimed them as a teaching aid for math. So, I fear that they are now lost.

Rythamun
2007-08-07, 05:38 PM
My first set of dice was a clear blue with white lettering and a clear orange 10 sider as the "ten's" die. /sigh that was 13 or so years ago, and I still have them... even though they have, and always will, roll like crap. :P

reorith
2007-08-08, 11:05 AM
i purchased mine at a hobby store. at the time, my friends and i used them to play m:tg because tokens and counters were all the rage. they were all red on black or gold on red. i kept them in a paper mache box i painted black.

phoenixineohp
2007-08-08, 12:06 PM
I got mine at a bookstore less than a month ago! They have yet to be taken out of the tube and initiated. They are a pure basic black with white numbers. :smallsmile:

ALOR
2007-08-08, 01:13 PM
ahhh memories.
i bought my first set of dice i'd say prolly 14 years ago. They came in a tube and had one of all the major colors. I do remember that they didn't come with a percentile dice though. Sadly my 1st d20, my greatest d20, died a heroic death by clamering of the side of the table rolling along the floor to the water drain. I fell to my knees and cried to the sky but it was for not. My old favorite d20 had rolled it's last " nat 20". sigh :smallfrown:. Thankfully i still have my other original dice along with a crap load more now
i do remember that the concept of the d4 was beyond my gaming group for years before some one finally toold us how to read it. I felt really dumb:smalltongue:

Chaszmyr
2007-08-08, 01:53 PM
My first dice had been given to me by my mother; like a lot of her gifts they bore her trademark - they were a rainbow set of seven ranging from red to violet. I gave them to a new gamer but I wish I hadn't, personally. I'm looking to re-create the set using the colour coding on resistors as a guide (black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, grey, white - I'm strange like that)

My first purchased dice are two 7-polyhedral sets done in army and desert camouflage colouration, some of the earlier Chessex speckled sets. Back then they were sold with a different coloured d10 (water and earth) instead of the percentile ones found these days, a tradition I still carry on. I still have those sets, and to go hand in hand with my electronic assembly background, they are now stored in plastic tubes that were used as packaging for PCB batteries.

I now have many sets of dice and plan to get a few more. I am presently the only member in the Thursday night game round our local gaming shop who has purple dice.

Rykaj
2007-08-08, 02:36 PM
My first were absolutely awesome. In their first combat I rolled a triple 20 on my first hit (instant kill in our group). And that was the start of a beautiful friendship. Sadly I lost the the d4 somewhere along the way so I was forced to buy a new set.

The white numbers on my orange d20 have faded so much I have to pick it up to see what I rolled. And the set of 4 red d6's never fail to roll me a nice column of attribute stats. Out of respect I only use the d20 for critical saves or rolls and the d6's for stat rolling. They absolutely rule.

The Prince of Cats
2007-08-08, 04:58 PM
Ignoring my Games Workshop dice (up to 16 d6 and counting, as well as misfire and scatter dice), my first would be a set of six Chessex Speckled (Earth) d10s I kept in a leather bag. They were my Vampire dice. I still have them.

Dragonrider
2007-08-08, 05:33 PM
Oh man. :smallbiggrin:. My brother shared a set, in a tan felt bag. I think my uncle put it together from his collection. We actually had one set that was tranlucent green and one opaque red, which was missing a d10 so we had to use a white one instead.

Nocte
2007-08-08, 05:48 PM
I bought my first set of dice half price, from a friend who bought them one week before. I still use them and they are semi translucent purple with white numbers. They are good dice almost every roll is good. :smallbiggrin:

AslanCross
2007-08-08, 07:11 PM
My first ever dice were three d20s: a white one with black numbers (my favorite color combination), an opalescent blue one with white numbers, and a marbled bronze one with gold numbers. I bought them in the Spring of 2006 during my trip to the US. The current dice sets I use right now belong to my brother and my best friend, but since they don't have much of a use for them I'm able to use them now. Since then I've been buying a whole lot of d20s, as well as a 36-piece d6 dice block from Chessex. Cute little purple d6s with red pips.

ForzaFiori
2007-08-08, 07:46 PM
my first dice came out of a DnD starter game about...2 or 3 years ago. I also bought a Black with Yellow # set at a bookstore that is no longer open, and gotten alot from all around. Currently I have 1 d4, 25 d6s, 3 d8s, 4 d10s, 5 d12s , and 3 d20s.

and all but 11 of them are hand-me-down. XD

MandibleBones
2007-08-08, 08:28 PM
My first dice were d6s scavenged from the family's least-used board games (my first games were Shadowrun and WEG's Star Wars 2nd Ed.).

Memories...

Delaney Gale
2007-08-08, 08:34 PM
My first set of dice was out of the D+D 3.0 starter kit they used to sell about five years ago. Best birthday gift EVER.

My favorite and oldest set, however, is red with silver writing. They used to be my aunt's and I rescued them from my crazy Catholic grandmother's bureau, so they like me and the d20 only rolls well for me... I get 12+ consistently, the DM fails saves left and right.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-08, 08:48 PM
i bought a set of gold dice with black lettering, and since then ive been buying mostly novelties (big dice, small dice, d100 etc.) which includes a semi-transparent (a term which here means "sometimes transparent") small d20 that rolls well all the time, except when it really matters.

Deme
2007-08-08, 09:02 PM
I'm another one of those people who got her first dice from the "starting game" package... The thing was, though, my town has no place to buy dice, so I actually went to B. Dalton and bought the expensive dang thing, which I never did actually use except for the occaisonal mini, specifically so the group I was starting would have a set of dice to use. For a little less than a year, I was the only person who consistantly had dice, so combat took ages.

Wolf53226
2007-08-08, 09:19 PM
Well, mine were from a starter set of a sort....

Red Box Basic Dungeons and Dragons

Green d20
Black d12
Yellow d8
Green d6
White d4

Don't remember the colors of the 10s at the moment, but I do still have all of them. My red box was obviously new enough that the numbers were carved into them, unlike one of my friends who got the crayon with the dice and you had to number them yourself. Guess this post dates me a little. :smallredface:

Ranis
2007-08-08, 10:22 PM
My first set of dice were the set that my friend gave me the day before he died on a bus ride on the way to school. He paid originally over $50 for this one set of dice; they are made entirely out of bone and have bright red numbers. I keep them in a box underneath my bed, and I have only rolled the d20 once.

It critted. I still miss ya, Ben.

Last_resort_33
2007-08-09, 01:49 AM
My first dice... Well when I was about 10, one of my friends, Chris said that he'd been playing a game called Dungeons and Dragons with some people and it was really good, a few weeks later, I picked up a second hand copy from a Red Cross shop, and it came with some dice and a crayon so you could see the numbers... my first dice... god knows where they are now though... dice all just disapear, except my metal ones, I've kept tehm a set for abour 2-3 years now...

T'ze'hai
2007-08-09, 06:59 AM
My first die was a d20 which I found laying around somewhere. Black with white numbers, kinda old. Still have it.
Then I bought a set of marble darkblues, decided that wasn't enough and bought some more in marble darkgreen. I also found I needed extra d20, which I bought in mini: cyan and purpleThen I became a firemage and I bought extra d8 and d4, found extra d6 and bought a set of mini marble reds.
Later I bought another set of minis, marble purple this time.
The only die I ever lost was a mini red d4. Still have all the others (and probably found some more which I forgot) and using them all, as I'm DM now...

TheBoneSplitter
2007-08-09, 07:31 AM
First anything of dice that I own are those Magic: The Gathering fat packs... all d20's for life counters, obviously. I now presently have a player's set of purple transparent dice that I'm borrowing from my own Mother, kept next to my Gamecube for easy access. It'll just take forever to get around to setting up our DnD sessions, as usual... :smallfurious: Need more minis, time and patience.

smellie_hippie
2007-08-09, 07:52 AM
My first dice... Well when I was about 10, one of my friends, Chris said that he'd been playing a game called Dungeons and Dragons with some people and it was really good, a few weeks later, I picked up a second hand copy from a Red Cross shop, and it came with some dice and a crayon so you could see the numbers... my first dice... god knows where they are now though... dice all just disapear, except my metal ones, I've kept tehm a set for abour 2-3 years now...

I had a very similar set, with the white crayon. They came with the Basic Dungeons & Dragons set (with Keep on the Borderlands). All the dice were a plain pale blue, and you HAD to use the crayon to be able to read the dice. Kinda made them a little weighted I'd think...

Last_resort_33
2007-08-09, 08:45 AM
I think I had something like green dice and a purple crayon.. can't remember too clearly though... it was over half my life ago

Seffbasilisk
2007-08-10, 10:59 PM
My first set of dice also came in a tube, black with white lettering. I remember 'm well, I bought a set of dice rather then use the communal, because I got sucked in from the get-go (started out just when 3.5 was coming out), and I ended up losing the d20 a few sessions in, but it turned out OK, because World Games Day was right around the corner, and I picked up a sweet red D20 there that I've kept ever since. I had all my dice, aside from that black d20 since, I might have lost some during the chaos of the move back from the first year of college, but I'm gathering them up again, and probably will be buying my second set soon.

Adlan
2007-08-11, 03:36 AM
4th edition warhammer boxed set, given to me by my older cousin, because he had a bucket full (literally, a bucket full).

The first ones I bought where the ones in the 5th edition boxed set, along with the crazy plastic rulers (once met a guy still using them, he was cheating, he had heated them up and stretched them, giving him an extra 1/4" on every inch.)

My first D&D dice was a marbled plastic set, green and black.

My current set, Copper coated steel, And if you muck about in one of my games, I will throw them at you. Hard.

Icewalker
2007-08-11, 03:55 AM
My first dice were:
(as in my head:)

"Pick a number between 1 and 20."
(Hmmm...I'll add 5.)
"14."
"You hit."

RAGE KING!
2007-08-11, 12:04 PM
... god knows where they are now though... dice all just disapear, except my metal ones, I've kept tehm a set for abour 2-3 years now...

my dice NEVER disappear, except for two instances. One of them, i just lost some dice in my room, but i cleaned it a week later, and found them all. The other time i lost a tiny d6 at a bus stop, but I've had about 10 of them, and I've only lost one so far.

Cinders
2007-08-14, 04:21 AM
I bought my first set when we were playing deadlands and the comunal dice box wasn't rolling well for me. So i have many many dice all in shades of blue and multipls of every thing form D4 to D20 i have never let anyone else roll them and they always roll awesome statlines for me.

Pepz
2007-08-14, 04:35 AM
bought my first dice set about 5 years ago, when me and my friends started playing DnD :) Have one full set of orange dice left, a couple left of my semi-transparant white dice and just random d6s for the rest :)

O yeah, I got a fist sized D20 from WotC a couple years ago :D because I'd signed up for their website or something like that :) It's pretty cool, has a chart for all the special symbols on there (instead of regular numbers), since it's actually a magical artifact ingame :smallcool:

okpokalypse
2007-08-14, 04:55 PM
Mine came with the D&D Basic Set from the early 80s :).

One of each die, all random colors, pointed edges (Except the 4-sided - which was shaved) and no color in the numbers. You had to use a crayon to fill that in. Heh.

I still have em too.

Ahh, the memories.

tannish2
2007-08-14, 05:35 PM
my first set was blue and green speckled, looked ****ing weird, the d20 was one of the big ones, i picked them out peice by peice from a dice bin at a gaming store i think i was 8 when i got them... they were later lost, because of a wonderfully intelligent moving crew who put them in a box with a 2nd edition players handbook a 3.0 monster manual an empty bottled water a plate, and a blanket... also possibly an old windows 95 laptop... the box is still in our garage... somewhere

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-15, 12:04 PM
My first set was purple with black lettering. (my 2 fav colours)

I still have them..They are so cool because it's hard to tell the numbers, black n purple are too dark both :smalltongue: , and was a precious friend against pain-in-the-ass Dms.
(I'm a Rogue after all)

I stopped using them when I found really good Dms and co-players, so you can't cheat when the game's so exciting, can you?

Now I'm not a player anymore, I'm usually the Dm and I have many-many dices, but my first set will always be my favourite :smallsmile:

skywalker
2007-08-15, 12:22 PM
I actually remember the first d20 I rolled. It was a pearly dark green d20 from who knows where. Those were the good ole days when the whole group was using the dm's dice, nobody had their own, and we had yet to realize that one member of our group was categorically un-lucky(if he touches anyone's dice now, there is a flurry to immediately had that die to one of the two luckiest players in the group for therapy).

The first dice I bought were chessex. Never could figure out what they were, I threw away the little inner paper slip right after I bought them. Light purple with silver numbers. They were awesome. My first rolls with them were 19 and 15 on the d20(confirming a bastard sword critical in a lvl1 game) and then a 10 on the d10, maxing out a critical in my first D&D action ever. It was glorious. Later in that campaign, I bought a Kaplan set, white with black numbers, because I thought they fit a paladin better. They were famous for having a deformed d10 that was weighted towards the 10. I only used these white dice for critical momnets when the purple had failed me(a rare instance) because they were so damned good at coming off the bench cold.

However, I found myself tremendously frustrated with the dm(as did the other lucky player) and in a fit of pique after I left the group, gave both my sets away to friends who didn't have their own. The purple is in California, the white is slowly having its luck destroyed by the aforementioned unlucky player.

My NEW dice are chessex vortex, fiery orange red and white with black numbers. Also a matching d6 cube. Because it's a known fact that identical d6s roll better.

WampaX
2007-08-15, 01:46 PM
First set was old, but not Box Set old.
They came in a blister pack with the big red dragon lording over them.
Purchased at Waldenbooks.
Each is clear-ish plastic with black numbers:
Red d20
Blue d12
Clear d10
Pink d8
Purple d6
Green d4

I designed two board games around them in middle school.
They are my first purchase of anything branded with the D&D/TSR logo.

I retired them from active service just this past year, as they tend to roll around alot due to their age and are not helpful behind the DM screen. But if I ever step up to play again, they'll be in the dice bag.

Trog
2007-08-15, 01:50 PM
Clear red set I bought off of a friend. Used dice. :smalltongue:

Midnight Son
2007-08-15, 02:02 PM
First set was old, but not Box Set old.Mine were. Still have them, along with all the other crappy dice I bought from my local bookstore when I was a kid. I should probably go get a crayon and redo the numbers.

Totally Guy
2007-08-15, 02:30 PM
I got my first dice today.

They are opaque pearly green and they are in elongated crystal shapes rather than the regular shaped ones. I hope they'll do me alright but I fear that the D20 might keep rolling all the time as it's nearly a cylinder.

Edit: Tested the D20, I was suspicious so I rolled it 62 times

Rolled====:1 2 _3 _4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Frequency: 2 20 10 8 2 2 1 0 0 _0 _0 _0 _0 _0 _5 _4 _4 _2 _0 _2

I mean some of the sides I can't even place it on without rolling over to something else.:smallmad: Now I've got to actually do something about it.

Dr._Weird
2007-08-17, 01:57 AM
My first dice were 10 d10s, for playing WW:TA. Sparkly dark green with white numbering. I still have most of them.

V Junior
2007-08-17, 07:24 AM
My first dice? They were a set (one d20 one d4 one d10) of golden one with white lettering and kinda see-through. I also got a die about 2-4mm long...

MostlyHarmless
2007-08-17, 04:12 PM
I had a very similar set, with the white crayon. They came with the Basic Dungeons & Dragons set (with Keep on the Borderlands). All the dice were a plain pale blue, and you HAD to use the crayon to be able to read the dice. Kinda made them a little weighted I'd think...

Well, I guess I'm not the only one with the oldest set of dice on the block. I've got two of those, cuz I got one with my Expert Set too. I eventually upgraded those pale blue cheap plastic dice with a nice set of clear red, with nice edges, but I still had to use a crayon to fill in the numbers. LOL Still have all of 'em I believe but for the past few years I've only played online and only use online dice rollers.