PDA

View Full Version : Looking for weak/minor magic weapon property

Agent 451
2017-07-12, 01:07 PM
I vaguely recall reading a source that included the ability to add a weak magical property to a weapon. From what I remember, you could add a +1 fire/cold/etc damage to a weapon, but for the life of me I cannot find or remember where I originally saw this. It's similar to, but weaker than the imbuing rules from the Diablo II D20 books.

I'm looking to use this as a low level quest reward in a lower magic game. If anyone has any idea where this might be found, or has an idea regarding approximately how much such a property would be worth, I'd love to hear it!

Kaleph
2017-07-12, 01:18 PM
Crystal of energy assault, MIC?

Khedrac
2017-07-12, 01:20 PM
A least weapon crystal of [energy] assault adds one point of energy damage to a masterwork or better weapon and costs 300gp - MIC page 64 for more details.

Agent 451
2017-07-12, 05:56 PM
I'm positive that the weapon crystals were not what I'm remembering, but 300gp sounds like a reasonable baseline for what I'm looking to use this for. Thanks!

Thurbane
2017-07-12, 06:01 PM
Dragonforged? I thought it was in Draconomicon, but I can't find it now. Weapons do an extra 1 point of damaged based on the dragon type used in the material.

Dragonfang weapons. RHoD p.126, but I'm sure there's another source, too. +300gp.

Agent 451
2017-07-12, 07:42 PM
Great find, although I don't have RHoD, so it likely isn't the source I saw it in. I'm also positive it wasn't a material type, it was something that was added after. Interesting that it is also 300gp, makes me much more comfortable using that as a baseline cost if I can't find the original source I read it in. Might have been in a Dragon/Dungeon mag, or a third party source. Either that or I am conflating Diablo II's imbuement with socket crystals, but I distinctly remember a static +1 of fire damage being added.

Thurbane
2017-07-12, 08:23 PM
Dragonfang weapons do appear in Draconomicon (p.117) originally. I was looking for Dragonforged, that may have been why I missed it.

Afgncaap5
2017-07-12, 10:27 PM
I could've sworn there was also something in Eberron's books that did something like that, but can't find it. The closest a quick search pulls up is a sidebar on page 157 of Secrets of Xen'Drik that includes, among other things, a property that gives a +1 on Search checks (while making your eyes look like clockwork gears.) and a property that makes it hard to speak above a raspy whisper.

Nifft
2017-07-12, 10:33 PM
I could've sworn there was also something in Eberron's books that did something like that, but can't find it. The closest a quick search pulls up is a sidebar on page 157 of Secrets of Xen'Drik that includes, among other things, a property that gives a +1 on Search checks (while making your eyes look like clockwork gears.) and a property that makes it hard to speak above a raspy whisper.

Geez, Eberron.

Stop trying to be Exalted.

Gildedragon
2017-07-12, 11:30 PM
There's also a number of alchemical materials in Magic of Faerun that do 1 of a given energy type

Shadowquad
2017-07-13, 04:33 AM
The DMG II contains weapon and armor templates, which accomplish a similar goal. For instance, Fireshaped weapons deal an extra point of damage on foes with the cold subtype, and gloryborn weapons deal an extra point of damage on a charge.

DrMotives
2017-07-13, 06:26 AM
Those armor & weapon templates are basically in the same line as dragoncrafted, dwarfcrafted, and elfcrafted from their respective books. The only thing is those templates have to put into gear when it's first created, nothing in those lists can be applied to gear later on.