PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next (Oath of the Spellbreaker) Paladin Subclass

Centik
2017-07-12, 01:50 PM
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HkhdqIwVb

I've been a sucker for anti-mages ever since I read the Obsidian Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and played a paladin in Dragon Age Origins. Mages, Wizards, Sorcerers, and the like have always been incredibly powerful entities in fantasy, so having the chance to knock them down a peg always gives me that warm feeling in my gut.

Without further adieu, the Oath of the Spellbreaker.

Tenants of the Spellbreaker
The tenants of the Spellbreaker are twofold: The preservation of magic as a tool for good, and the brute force required to keep the scales of balance.
Magic is Two-Edged. Your power comes from the very thing you seek to destroy. Not all magic warrants your wrath, lest you find yourself becoming that which you hunt.
Magic is Coercive. The very magic you wield, though it is divine in nature, still carries a strength that could compel the most devout of men and women to the side of chaos.
Magic is Necessary. Though we combat those who wield magic with evil intent, so too should we protect those who use it for good.
Magic is Balance. You are the keeper of the scales, and must lend body and sword to keeping them from tipping too far in either direction.

Spell List
3rd Absorb Elements, Detect Magic
5th See Invisibility, Silence
9th Counterspell, Dispel Magic
13th Banishment, Confusion
17th Dominate Person, Modify Memory

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
Stifling Weapon. As an action, you can imbue one weapon that you are holding with abjuration magic, using your Channel Divinity. For 1 minute, your successful attacks with that weapon absorb magical energy from enemies who are concentrating on a spell, imposing disadvantage on their concentration saving throw. Your successful attacks also mark the target with a sigil of Stifling, granting you an additional 1d4 damage against that target and advantage on saving throws against their spells for the duration of the Channel Divinity.
Speak no Evil. As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer of silence, using your Channel Divinity. Target creature must succeed on a constitution saving throw or become silenced for 1 minute. At the end of each of its turns, the target can make another constitution saving throw. On a success, the spell ends on the target.

Crucible of Chains
At 7th level, you have learned to harness the power of your stored magical energies. As a bonus action, you can summon magical chains from any surface within 30 feet of you. Target creature in range of your chains must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be restrained by their hands (or similar appendages). The chains have a reach of 10 feet, and pull the target creature’s limbs tightly in opposite directions. You can use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier. When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses.

Mage's Demise
At 15th level, the prolonged exposure to stored raw magic has increased the strength of your Stifling Weapon ability and its sigil. The damage die increases to 2d4 + your Charisma modifier and your sigil now anchors the target to this plane of existence. Once marked, the target creature is unable to be affected by teleportation spells (such as dimension door and teleport), plane shifting, astral travel and ethereal travel.

Spelleater
At 20th level, as an action, you can call upon your unbreaking resolve to augment one eye with antimagic properties. For 1 minute, your eye begins to glow with arcane power, granting you an antimagic field in a 20 foot cone in front of you. Within the cone, Spells can't be cast, summoned creatures disappear, and even Magic Items become mundane. Your Spelleater's eye also gives you hyper-fast perception, granting advantage on all saving throws against effects that you can see, such as traps and Spells.

auric_gm
2017-07-13, 10:22 AM
This has more than a little similarity to the Oath of the Mystic Fire homebrew I'm working on. A few thoughts:

The channel divinity feature typically takes the form of one class specific feature plus one turning feature. This was pointed out to me and I changed the channel divinity features of my class as a result.
Crucible of Chains needs a duration or something limiting it. As written, the effect lasts indefinitely, which I suspect is not what you intended. I'm also thinking allowing future attempts to break the chains would be warranted under certain circumstances (if Paladin is not able to maintain concentration on them as one possibility).
Mages Demise also needs a duration limiter. I also think the anchoring should allow a saving throw to mitigate the effect. Something like, "Any attempt to use a teleport, plane shift, etc. requires a Will save. A failure results in the spell slot being consumed without the desired effect."
Spelleater feels OP to me. I'm thinking something like this would reign it in a bit:

Within the cone, Spells can't be castSpells require a will save to cast.
Summoned creatures disappearSummoned creatures must make a will save or disappear
Magic Items become mundane. (This has all kinds of game-breaking effects in my mind, so I'd just leave it out).
Your Spelleater's eye also gives you hyper-fast perception, granting advantage on all saving throws against effects that you can see, such as traps and Spells.spells or spell-like effects that target you.