PDA

View Full Version : Insane Wizard Tricks

Jaxter Gronaldi
2017-07-12, 02:29 PM
This is for tricks you can do to make your wizard seem like a GOD.

Insp by the earlier post:

Requirements

1.Mirror of Life Trapping
2.A lot of gold ( Also counting as material components )
3.Demiplane
4.Clone
5.Mordekainen's Private Sanctum
6.Magic Jar
7.Simulacrum
8.Sequester
9.A number of gems worth at least 500gp
10.A vessel worth 2,000gp
11. Sustenance for a year
12. Sending
13. A Korred imprisoned in a Gem, Golden Shears, Regeneration and Planar Binding ( Optional )
14. Contingency and Dispel Magic
15. Drawmij's Instant Summons and a whole lot of Sapphires worth 1,000gp ( Contentious )

Results

1.Immortality
2.Invincibility
3.Undetected
4.Your own infinite plane, although it's a bit foggy
5.Your own Divine Avatar ( Kind of )

Instructions

Cast Demiplane, and fill it with your accumulated gold, components, rations ( If even required ) and other items you wish, spend a year casting Mordekainen's Private Sanctum in there so it's permanent. Create a Simulacrum, and order it to hang the Mirror of Life Trapping on the wall of your now warded demiplane and activate it. Carry all the items into the spatially infinite extradimensional space, ordering your Simulacrum to free you after a certain amount of time in each incursion, until you add everything. In case "Your possessions" count as everything placed in the cell rather than just what you're wearing and carrying, then summon a familiar or other creature that you can kill ( with something like glyph of warding inside the cell ) once it transported along with the items, and summon a new creature to repeat the process. Or just pile up everything into some container and lift up with Telekinesis/Reverse Gravity and put it back down on you so it's carried, even though you could be extremely encumbered and take crushing damage depending on just what you put there, then look at the mirror one final time to get sucked inside. Once in, teleport underneath to somewhere else in the cell. Before looking for that final time though, order your Simulacrum to cast "Sequester" on the mirror after you have entered it with 5,000 remaining gold outside, just to be sure.

Once inside with enough of your gold and possessions ( There's no need for food or drink inside or much else really ), and a minute or two later during which your Simulacrum outside should've cast the Sequester on the Mirror, cast Simulacrum again, destroying the one outside, who is effectively the last being who could command the mirror or know of it's existence. Then Cast Clone on yourself and, waiting for it to mature 120 days in the vessel you brought. Finally, cast Magic Jar on your Simulacrum, as now both your inert living body, your Clone, and the Magic Jar with the Simulacrums "soul" ( ? ) in it remain inside the Mirror, while your soul inhabits the Simulacrum's body. Cast Banishment on yourself or any other Planar Travel spell to escape the extradimensional cell in the Mirror, and go to a location of your choosing. If your host Simulacrum dies while your soul inhabits it, both you and the creature ( Simulacrum ) dies, but your own soul returns to the Clone when you die. You can now start the process anew with the same Clone vessel, expending consumable gold only for a new Simulacrum and Clone, totalling 2,500 per casting, and 500gp for the new magic jar container.

On a final note, before venturing out, always cast contingency on yourself with Dispel Magic and your given circumstance ( When my soul/mind wants it/thinks about something, after a period of time etc.. ) which would immediately cut off the Magic Jar connection which you cast ( Against your spell so you can just do it automatically and you're incapacitated anyway ), or alternatively a spell like shatter centered on yourself to break the Magic Jar component. Can also be used through the Simulacrum to basically dispel your own form, killing yourself and returning to your Clone in the plane.

Optional: If you die a lot and want an indispensable supply of gold, you'd have to find a Korred ( Possibly through Conjure Fey at 7th level if you have access to a scroll and inverted magic circle ), cast Planar Binding on it, then Imprisonment into a gem, and carry the gem as you look the final time into the mirror, release the Korred once inside, and cut his hair with golden shears whenever you need gold. If his hair doesn't grow naturally ( Which it does, according to the MM and regains hit points ), just cast Regeneration. Renew Planar Binding every year or so.

Contentious: These few methods relate to the spell "Drawmij's Instant Summons" and they are contentious because they introduce a mental cluster**** of just what it means to be "You" while your soul inhabits a Simulacrum vessel through the Magic Jar while you inert body is elsewhere and then you have a Clone and.. well, it's basically all up to interpretation in order to work, I am unable to justify it utterly with RAW as I can with other things.

Under the assumption that "you" in the spell would refer to your soul or the body controlled by it at a given time, you can collect gold from the outside back into your plane by first, prior to using Magic Jar, casting "Drawmij's Instant Summons" on a sapphire ( We'll call it Retrieval Sapphire ), obviously using another Sapphire ( Known as Component Sapphire ), while still in the plane. Give "Retrieval Sapphire" to your Simulacrum and go Magic Jar, while component sapphire is with you on the plane. Once Simulacrum is somewhere else outside with his own sapphire, obtain a 10 pounds weighing bar of gold ( Platinum or Diamond would be better for value if you can ), cast the same spell on it using "Retrieval Sapphire" as the component, and then wait until the Simulacrum dies or something I guess. Once you reform within the Clone back in your plane, crush "Component Sapphire" to summon "Retrieval Sapphire" from wherever the now dead Simulacrum has carried it with him, then crush "Retrieval Sapphire" to summon the 10 pounds of matter ( Gold, Platinum ). The whole ordeal has cost about 2,000gp for the Sapphires while a recasting of Clone+Simulacrum will bring it to a total of 5,000gp, so in order to actually replenish your "cash" supply for spells on the plane, the 10 pounds bar of gold or better yet platinum would have to be worth more, which I'm pretty sure it is. Regardless, you can always create multiple pair of Retrieval/Component sapphires to bring more bars, each pair is 2,000gp, so I'm pretty sure another 10 pounds platinum bar compensates for that. And when you run out of sapphires, use the same method to mark some kind of gigantic Jewel or necklace embedded with tons of sapphires that you found while strolling about with your Avatar.

Again, this relies on "you" being your soul/the body it resides in currently rather than physical body, which actually seems the more appropriate definition since otherwise it brings up a lot of stupid scenarios such as what happens to an object you marked with the spell if you died and came back as a Clone and still possess the Sapphire, or what happens if you True Polymorph, or if you die and someone casts "Reincarnate" on you and you're now a Dwarf or whatever, but it's not guaranteed RAW.

RAW that applies

And now for that, as I'm sure there are many posters who may get confused and perhaps believe that there has been confusion in this thread

1.That "Demiplane" counts as a method of planar travel ( Creating a doorway on another plane to enter it ) and cannot be used by another creature to enter a demiplane warded with Mordekainen's Private Sanctum ( Through creating the doorway on it's stone wall )

2.That the spatially infinite, "Extradimensional" cells inside the Mirror of Life Trapping are not affected by the feet range of Mordekainen's Private Sanctum ( Would be interesting since otherwise since it would enable you to trap creatures there permanently with no escape at all ), although they are merely both in the same plane of existence ( The Demiplane )

2.1.Addendum, just because I know it's going to come up - "Isn't the Mirror on the stone wall itself still within the reach of Mordekainen's Private Sanctum, therefore also including the spatially infinite cells?", the answer is, they aren't. First of all, the item description informs us that the mirror has those cells, but never that they are "inside" of it or something of that nature. The mirror acts as the entrance and a "window" to these cells, which are spatially infinite spaces, we don't really have an idea of their actual position in the multiverse. But not only that, we do know that the cells are "extradimensional", which is not a scientific term but what the jargon means according to wikitionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/extradimensional) is the following, as you can see. So they're not just spatially infinite and in another dimension, but also outside the known physicality of the multiverse or "Coming from a dimension outside Einsteinian space-time.", and therefore are not in any way, shape or form within the confines of the 120 feet ( 3-dimensional by the way ) range of Mordekainen's Private Sanctum, despite being linked with the Mirror. Only the tangible mirror itself hanging on the wall is. That also makes it even more mind-boggling to infiltrate somehow, and the Mirror artifact is the only known way in there.

3.That being shunted into the Mirror's cells does not count as "Teleportation", which the artifact's description doesn't describe it as such, unlike other artifacts, nor is it any kind of teleportation spells, but I guess it could possibly be construed as such anyway, which isn't really an obstacle, if ruled as such, then the first step would be to create the Simulacrum, ask it to activate the Mirror, and order it to Sequester it immediately afterwards once you enter it by looking at it, then to do everything you were supposed to do ( Hauling things inside by creating it's own Simulacrum if need be ), and once done, that he should dispel/destroy his own simulacrum, hang the mirror with you already inside on it on the wall of the warded Demiplane, and inform you via "Sending" ( You're not actually on another plane, albeit on another distance, but ask it to send it 10 times just to be certain ) when all is accomplished. After that, you cast Simulacrum again to destroy the one in the Demiplane room, and continue regularly.

4.That your Simulacrum would not be shunted to a different cell upon being cast, which is really not contentious, but just bears mentioning for those who can't already read - The answer is no since the Mirror did not trap it through the reflection itself, nor are the 12 cells occupied. The same would go for a Korred trapped in a gem and being carried inside your bag, never seeing it's reflection, into the same cell, basically functioning the same as a Sentient artifact for example, as your "possession".

5.How the reincarnation works, from Magic Jar - "If the host body dies while you're in it, the creature dies, and you must make a Charisma saving throw against your own spellcasting DC. On a success, you return to the container if it is within 100 feet of you. Otherwise, you die.", in our case it is otherwise, since our container is still in the mirror's space if our Simulacrum host dies, therefore we die, and from Clone - "At any time after the clone matures, if the original creature dies, its soul transfers to the clone, provided that the soul is free and willing to return.", so there is no problem here.

6.Drawmij's Instant Summons - "The item instantly appears in your hand regardless of physical or planar distances", wherein the "physical" part is what really matters to us, since it means the item can cross into the extradimensional, spatially infinite mirror cell directly, which is within the plane of the Demiplane, without passing through the 30 feet stone room which is protected by Mordekainen's Private Sanctum.

Conclusion

Time to design a nice little divine portfolio for yourself, maybe an eye peering from within a mirror and spread it throughout the Prime Material with your avatar, and every time it dies to scream at your enemies minds back in the cell as you emerge from the clone that "I am a deity, you fool! I have all of eternity to extract my vengeance!" as you deploy another Simulacrum. Maybe spruce up your foggy domain a little bit with various spells or just brood endlessly without eating, drinking, sleeping or eating like mystery deities are prone to do.

Why the Mirror though?

"Creatures trapped in the mirror’s cells don’t age, and they don’t need to eat, drink, or sleep.", which as far as I know is only otherwise possible in the unprotected Astral Sea, and sure, you can make your Clone a younger version too for immortality at least ( Although it would still need to eat, drink and sleep ), but those other attributes and the infinite plane are the closest thing to divinity. Also nifty way of getting out of a warded demiplane due to being in the same plane but not in the range of the Sanctum spell, yet in a sequestered extradimensional space that nothing knows about nor could theoretically be accessed from anywhere except by looking at the mirror.

Why Simulacrum if you're already safeguarded with Clone?

When you're a deity, you're dealing with a whole scale of different threats, and trust me, you don't want your enemies to have access to your true remains or moreso, your true form. Believe me, you don't want an enemy to trap you in some Silenced or Anti-Magic zone and also preventing you from killing yourself, such that you can never escape. Bad. Really bad. A Simulacrum on the other hand can't be put in any anti-magic zones without being dispelled itself ( A disadvantage as well to be sure, so bring a lot of counterspells ), you have stipulations for any other attempt to trap it while your soul is within, and no remains are left when it hits 0 hit points as it turns to snow and melts instantly.

So you basically have the same Discorporation trait as Tiamat except better since that dumb bitch can be trapped with Planar Binding and then can't escape, but you always can. If you're feeling confident though, want to save costs, and really don't like having Dispel Magic or Antimagic Field cast on you, you can always ditch the Simulacrum in favor of just banishing yourself from the cell, while the Clone awaits there.

Who has so much time?

Someone who's planning on being a deity for all eternity, apparently.

Are spellcasters really OP?

Nah, martials are just as powerful. I mean, it's just nigh deity-hood, nothing special.

Jaxter Gronaldi
2017-07-12, 03:00 PM
No one? 😥 No way!

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-12, 03:26 PM
Perhaps you need to learn patience. :smallwink:

Vaz
2017-07-12, 03:28 PM
1, it's Half an Hour.
2, you copy pasted a post.
3, cool

Jaxter Gronaldi
2017-07-12, 04:54 PM
I am impatient.

Dalebert
2017-07-12, 08:59 PM
This one's old hat really but belongs in the list.

18th level illusionist takes Silent Image or Phantasmal Force as a Spell Mastery. Can now create almost any object up to 15 by 15 or 10 by 10 respectively and make it real for a minute. Think adamantite box or adamantite cage.

Or even better, wish up a simulacrum that has those spells as its Spell Mastery. Now you can pick different ones and it can do that all day for you without expending it's very precious spell slots.

Specter
2017-07-12, 09:46 PM
I'm not sure about 'God' material, but there's...

The Magical Bracelet

Prerequisites: Creation, Malleable Illusions, Illusory Reality

The Creation spell allows you to create vegetable matter that will last for one day. Use it to create a bracelet of leaves. For the rest of the day, have fun creating whatever you want out of that bracelet and back. Usual combat uses involve a crystal tower to lock yourself in, or to lock an enemy inside it, and hiding places for friends. Other uses involve creating any object a la Minor Conjuration (Keen Mind helps here), except the object doesn't look magical. As long as it's a single object, your creativity is the ultimate barrier.

Hypersmith
2017-07-12, 10:52 PM
1, it's Half an Hour.
2, you copy pasted a post.
3, cool

Exactly. What kind of post is this? It isn't "inspired" at all, OP literally copy pasted someone else's post from a few hours ago, and can't wait 30 min to boot. Like dude, OP, please don't do this again.

Klorox
2017-07-12, 11:15 PM
Sweet thread!

Dappershire
2017-07-13, 01:39 AM
I just came here to be cool.

Jaxter Gronaldi
2017-07-13, 08:12 AM
I was trying to give an example of what im looking for, can you even read? Also, yes. I am very impatient.

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-13, 08:31 AM
I was trying to give an example of what im looking for, can you even read? Also, yes. I am very impatient.

Insulting people won't really help you. Also, with the huge text block that you copied and pasted, what you put at the top gets lost. And you could have done a LOT better job of explaining what you wanted this thread to be about. You also should have taken some time to post your own idea to go along with what you posted, or gotten more than one example of what you wanted.

Jaxter Gronaldi
2017-07-13, 09:27 AM
I don't know much about it, that's why I posted this thread. Sorry, I dont know how to post only small bits. I only could find one example, AND I didn't want to have more than 1 "wall of text" for fear of exactly what happened. I know almost nothing about posting on these forums, ok?!?!?!?!

Vaz
2017-07-13, 09:33 AM
Do you have any other wizard tricks yourself? Or anything to add other than one entry to the wizard tricks handbook?

Unoriginal
2017-07-13, 09:39 AM
This is for tricks you can do to make your wizard seem like a GOD.

Insp by the earlier post:

Since we're quoting:

Oh boy, where to even start... wait, I know.

1. Soulless Simulacrum

The Simulacrum is an illusion, and so has no soul, meaning you cannot use it with Magic Jar.

2. Being a Simulacrum Kinda Sucks.

Now, let's imagine that point 1. doesn't make it impossible. What would happen if you could possess a Simulacrum:

Congratulation, you just made it impossible for you to learn anything when you get out of your cell. You'd wander the world, then when the Simulacrum's body dies you'd find yourself unable to recall anything new you've encountered while you were possessing the Simulacrum because you didn't have the ability to learn at the time.

What else...?

Oh, right that little detail.

If you're possessing a Simulacrum, you can't regain your spell slots, leaving you effectively powerless, until the body dies.

Another important fact: your Simulacrum body would be half the HPs of a lvl 20 Wizard, which means it would probably have around 71 HPs and with an absolute maximum of 110 HPs (if you have 20 in CON and rolled only 6s for your HD). And you can't heal.

And that's not even going into if you decide to equip your Simulacrum with magic items, in which case you would lose them each time the Simulacrum dies (as you lack the ability to learn in that state and the enemies of a lvl 20 Wizards are usually smart enough to handle the items he drops).

So, to recap, even if point 1 wasn't here, this method to supposedly become "god-like" would make you:

-Unable to learn.

-Unable to get your spell slots back unless you die.

-Have the HPs of a Wizard half your level.

-Unable to heal.

What a godhood, eh?

3. The Cost of Hubris (in Material Components)

Now, let's imagine that, still ignoring point 1., Mihr-Or the Mirror Wizard decides that he can lives with the problems highlighted in 2.

While the cost of material components is listed in gold pieces, you can't use the gold pieces themselves to cast your spell. You need the correct components. Meaning that the tons of gold and/or platinum bars you brought with you would be useless aside from taking space in you cell, and the same thing applies to the Korred.

You need rubies worth 1500 gp and one single diamond worth 1000 gp each time you attempt the Simulacrum + Clone combo. And even if you gather tons of them, you'd eventually run out (especially given the "has to die to regain your spell slots" issue). Which means that you'd have to get out of your cell to gather more, leaving yourself vulnerable.

But all this leads us to point 4.

4. The Nay is a Mirror to the Soul

I have to admit, you managed to find a way to make a caster go in a place where they're basically unreachable.

You just forgot one detail.

The Mirror of Life Trapping makes it quite clear that the *only* way for a trapped creature to get out of it by themselves is to use planar travel magic.

Which means that it is not possible for an imprisoned creature to do something like kill themselves and have an ally bring them back to life (with Reincarnation, for exemple), or for beings like Devils or Yugoloths to kill themselves and then reappear in their home plane, to say nothing of Liches. It'd be a pretty bad eternal prison if it did, after all.

Meaning that a soul cannot escape the Mirror on its own.

And both OP and the Mirror description have made clear that it is not possible to reach the inside of the cell unless if the creature inside it use planar travel magic. Which means that a soul couldn't cross this boundary to enter the cell either.

Ergo: the soul being blocked by the same conditions that block anything from reaching the Wizard in their safe cell, anyone dying while their Clone is inside the cell would just die, as the soul is not free to return.

This applies to any method relying on the Clone being inside the Mirror's cell, even if you manage to bypass 1. by not using a Simulacrum.

TL, DR:

1. This method doesn't work because illusions don't have souls.

2. Even if it did work, possessing a Simulacrum body is really, really bad.

3. Even if it did work and a Simulacrum body was worthwhile, you'd still have to get out of your safe space eventually.

4. Even if you bypass 1., using Clone from inside a Mirror in Life Trapping results in death.

5. Using this method would leave you unable to learn anything anymore, trapped in a cold body that you can't heal, with half your HPs lost and without the capacity to regain your spells once you've cast them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7WRrmTcUGg

Jaxter Gronaldi
2017-07-13, 10:30 AM
I'm kind of new to d&d, have mostly only theorycrafted, so no, I have little to add, cuz what I know is stiff I've already seen posted.

Zorku
2017-07-13, 10:47 AM
Neat thing about people on the internet: they don't help you unless they feel like it, and they tend not to feel like it when they get the impression that you've failed to do your homework.

If you had edited the Mirror's Eye divinity thing down into just the basic explanation, and then provided an example or two of your own, you'd get a lot of participation. Having been here for at least half a month, you can tell that these forums move at the pace of "a little content each day" instead of at the African Swallow pace of facebook or 4chan, but I'm not confident that you've paid that much attention.

I'm going to go ahead and predict a response of "but if I had examples I wouldn't be asking you guys!" That's not true at all, but I won't mock you for it since I've gone and put those words in your mouth this time. Finding new ways to do something is always interesting (or at least, 'interesting enough.') What you need to do in order to make one of these "everybody post your favorite x" type threads is perform an internet search.

You know google right? You can run into some simple ideas there. If you just check back through pages of this forum you can also find a few ideas like this.

Now this is important: use your own words. You don't need to make it look like you came up with an idea, but taking a minute to summarize it instead of copying and pasting a giant quote without typing up even 1/10th as much text as commentary about it feeds right back into that "do my homework for me" vibe that gets you snubbed on the internet.

One final thing: If you keep doing this you'll probably run into somebody that's happy to do your homework for you... one time out of every ten. If you don't start fights and nag everyone to post in the other nine, then you probably won't get too much animosity for it, but if you do pick those fights, you're going to get yourself kicked out of internet communities (if you don't leave before anyone gets around to it.)

-

When I explain internet etiquette to people, I usually make a point of tacking on some on-topic content at the end of my post, but I'm making an exception today.

e: A couple of posts came in while I was typing this, so here's another big thing. "I'm new here, this isn't my fault!" type whining will sort of get you some sympathy, but "I'm sorry, I'm new here and I didn't know how to do this in a better way" has a very different tone. Aim for that second one and people will treat you WAY better.