PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Trimming Down Dimension Door for Epic Coolness

Demonique
2017-07-12, 02:40 PM
Hi Guys.
So, I just finished watching the FFXV movie, and I'm thinking "Isn't the teleport weapon thingy cool?"
So, I started thinking about how to duplicate it in Pathfinder / 3.5.

Dimension Door is a 4th level spell, but it also contains much more 'power' than we need for this effect.
I propose the following restrictions:
1) change range to Close (matches much better the range of a thrown weapon).
2) limit the transportation to Self only - to transport others, they would count against your maximum carrying capacity.
3) requires a Somatic Component - the act of throwing the weapon. This could be a point in space (AC5), a ranged touch attack (to appear on or adjacent to an enemy without harming it) or a regular attack (to inflict thrown weapon damage and appear on or adjacent to an enemy).
4) requires a Material Focus, in the form of a Weapon of at least masterwork quality.

Would these restrictions bring "Translocating Blade" down to a 2nd level spell?

EDIT - to clarify, the caster would throw a specific weapon and appear (as per Dimension Door) in whichever orientation or 'pose' they desired, but must be holding the hilt or handle of the weapon, and can still not take any other action until their next turn.

2nd EDIT - I do not wish this to end up as a 1st level spell / ability (teleporting that early leads to balance issues), but could some of my restrictions be lessened and still remain a 2nd level spell?

Regards,
Demi

Psyren
2017-07-12, 03:04 PM
Could you either describe how the "teleport weapon thingy" works, or link to a Youtube clip that shows it in action? Like, does the wielder teleport to/around their target, does the blade teleport things you hit with it, or what?

Xethik
2017-07-12, 03:09 PM
Sounds very similar to the spell "Bladed Dash (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/bladed-dash/)" from Pathfinder.

Demonique
2017-07-12, 03:10 PM
In the Final Fantasy 15 film, the warriors throw a weapon, then 'teleport' to the weapon's location (and appear holding it by the hilt).
They can do this while it is in mid-air, or after it has struck an object / building / daemon / whatever.
They can only teleport to the weapon, and the weapon does not go 'through' anything unless it can do enough damage to destroy it, so the caster needs line of effect (but not necessarily line of sight - bouncing a weapon around a corner or under a barrier definitely works.

Hope this helps.
Demi

denthor
2017-07-12, 03:14 PM
I use d door as an escape for the lower level members of the party. So primary to save people. 400 yards back almost always.

So being able to only go 10-30 feet does not really get you out when you have been pushed to a cave corner and do not want to kill your opponent due to attempt at being good.

I could see limited d door as a 2nd level spell with that kind of range or 100 feet plus 30 feet per level as the 4th level spell. But as you describe it I would never take the spell. Master work dagger 301 gold pieces 50% chance you can not recover since arrows only have 50/50 chance of recovery so you have to factor that in. No thanks

Demonique
2017-07-12, 03:17 PM
Sounds very similar to the spell "Bladed Dash"

It does sound very similar. Thank you for this source.
But my concept would give you a greater range (not fixed to 30ft), and allow the caster to pass into an area that 'bladed dash' would not - be it through a small hole (large enough to allow the weapon to pass but not it's wielder) or a change in elevation.

Demi.

Demonique
2017-07-12, 03:24 PM
I use d door as an escape for the lower level members of the party. So primary to save people. 400 yards back almost always.
I am not proposing this as an escape, but as a combat maneuver.

Master work dagger 301 gold pieces 50% chance you can not recover
I do not think thrown weapons are counted as ammunition.

Demi

digiman619
2017-07-12, 03:35 PM
May I introduce you to Spheres of Power (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/), and the Warp sphere (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/warp) in particular? It'll let you get your desired effect at level 1 and more or less at will.

Kurald Galain
2017-07-12, 04:20 PM
It does sound very similar. Thank you for this source.
But my concept would give you a greater range (not fixed to 30ft), and allow the caster to pass into an area that 'bladed dash' would not - be it through a small hole (large enough to allow the weapon to pass but not it's wielder) or a change in elevation.

Ok, there's also Storm Step at level 3. Just refluff that the the damage doesn't come from electricity but from the thrown weapon.

ATHATH
2017-07-12, 10:47 PM
Do note that Bladed Dash actually teleports you to its target location- there can be a wall (with a hole in it) in the way, or even a chasm, and you can still use it to get to your destination (provided that it's within 30 ft., you have LoE to it, your destination is in an empty square, and you can draw a straight line from you to your destination).

Kurald Galain
2017-07-13, 12:18 AM
Do note that Bladed Dash actually teleports you to its target location

It's a dash, not a teleport. Likewise, Greater Bladed Dash lets you run 30' really fast and attack everybody who is next to your path; it's not a teleport either.

ATHATH
2017-07-13, 12:52 AM
It's a dash, not a teleport. Likewise, Greater Bladed Dash lets you run 30' really fast and attack everybody who is next to your path; it's not a teleport either.
I just relooked at the spell description, and acknowledge that you were right and I was wrong. Thank you for correcting me.

Florian
2017-07-13, 02:53 AM
Basically, IŽd say "no" to this. So far, any kind of teleport and attack move requires either DimDoor or Shadow Jump and at least a feat to make it work.

Kurald Galain
2017-07-13, 03:30 AM
Basically, IŽd say "no" to this. So far, any kind of teleport and attack move requires either DimDoor or Shadow Jump and at least a feat to make it work.

Except, you know, Bladed Dash and Storm Step, which we were just talking about :smallamused: