PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Need help designing an LA+1 template

Matrota
2017-07-12, 03:41 PM
For an upcoming 3.5e campaign I'm gonna be playing a human warrior. I want to be able to take the knockback feat from Races of Stone, and my DM approved me being able to design a template that was LA+1 that included the Powerful Build extraordinary ability so I could qualify. This is all I have so far:

Deceptively Strong
"Deceptively Strong" is an acquired template that can be added to any creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature)
Size and Type: Type and Size are unchanged.
Speed: As base creature
Special Qualities: A Deceptively Strong creature retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following.
Powerful Build: A deceptively strong creature functions in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a deceptively strong creature is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the deceptively strong creature is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A deceptively strong creature is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A deceptively strong creature can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
Saves: Same as the base creature
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2
Skills: Same as base creature
Environment: Same as base creature
Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1
Alignment: Same as the base creature
Level Adjustment: +1
Obviously +2 Str and Powerful build is hardly all I can fit into +1 LA, so I was hoping for some recommendations on what to add to it while keeping it at LA+1. Any ideas? The character is gonna be a frontliner who helpsto control the battlefield with knocking enemies away and such.

Morphic tide
2017-07-12, 10:34 PM
Well, I'd change the template name to Oversized and have all the changes be half a size category's worth of changes, though that would be LA +2 easily. For Medium to Large, that's +4 Strength, -1 Dex, +2 Con and +1 Natural Armor. Although comparing this to an actual class level is important, I'll leave that to people with more system knowledge than me. Largely because I don't know how strong Powerful Build actually is, due to not being fully familiar with all the implications.

rferries
2017-07-13, 12:31 AM
Half-Giant would be a good baseline I think; subtract all the benefits a human gets from what a Half-Giant gets and see what benefits are left over (i.e what the +1 LA is really worth). Your template can then grant benefits of equivalent power.

A human gets: a free feat, and free skill points.

A half giant gets Naturally Psionic (which is effectively Wild Talent, so can be compared to the human's free feat), and the Stomp psi-like ability (a minor benefit that scales with level, like a human's free skill points). Everything beyond this could be added to your template (or replaced with an equivalent power), including:
-Powerful Build (duh!)
-Giant type (so immune to humanoid-only attacks)
-net +2 ability bonus (already included in your template as a Str bonus)
-low-light vision
-fire acclimated (+2 bonus on saves vs fire)