PDA

View Full Version : Simic wizard school? can it be done

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-12, 04:06 PM
So my brother wants to play a wizard who is a biomancer
Along with spells and cantrips.how would we make it.

Lord Il Palazzo
2017-07-12, 04:26 PM
My lazy first-blush answer is to play a Circle of the Moon Druid (maybe switching his casting stat to intelligence) and refluff wild shape and cantrips to be more Simic. Thorn Whip could be some kind of tentacle attack. Produce Flame could involve having or growing a dragon mouth on your hand or something weird and biomantic like that. The Starter Spells Unearthed Arcana had a druid cantrip that literally grows you teeth or claws to attack with which would fit well without needing to reflavor anything. Any form you wild shape could be described as whatever mutant monstrosity your friend wants that fits the abilities that come with the form.

Lord Il Palazzo
2017-07-12, 04:48 PM
The other option I guess would be to play a Transmuter Wizard, though again reflavoring spells and abilities would help get the biomancer feeling which shouldn't be too hard with a little creativity. Spells like Shield and Mage Armor could be described as hardening the skin or flesh or growing insect or armadillo armor. You could take Find Familiar and describe you owl or hawk or cat or whatever as a Simic style mutant or cytoplast creature. Alter Self and Polymorph are obvious picks that don't really need much work. Buffs like Haste could be metabolism manipulation you perform on an ally.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-12, 06:07 PM
Can it be made without fluffing another class

vasharanpaladin
2017-07-12, 06:14 PM
Wrong question. Ask first if it can be done without homebrew.

In this case, the answer is yes. Transmuter wizard feels the most appropriate, especially when using feats or multiclass to poach healing spells.

D.U.P.A.
2017-07-12, 06:23 PM
But why it cannot be druid? At least if we discard this hippie nature protection fluff.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-12, 06:43 PM
Homebrew idea options. For wizard

Lord Il Palazzo
2017-07-12, 07:11 PM
The problem with homebrewing this if you aren't willing to reflavor anything is that you basically need to homebrew a whole list of biomancy spells to accompany it. If you aren't willing to take existing spells that make sense as biomancy and say that that's how they work, you have very few spells, wizard or otherwise that could be called biomancy right out of the box.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-12, 07:20 PM
The problem with homebrewing this if you aren't willing to reflavor anything is that you basically need to homebrew a whole list of biomancy spells to accompany it. If you aren't willing to take existing spells that make sense as biomancy and say that that's how they work, you have very few spells, wizard or otherwise that could be called biomancy right out of the box.

We could fluff some but the gidst is a biomancy archetype

Drackolus
2017-07-12, 10:09 PM
(another lazy answer); nature theurge? Allows the wizard to access druid cantrips like thornwhip. If one isn't enough, just let them pick druid cantrips too. Lightning lure isn't much weaker than thorn whip, if at all. Heck, take ritual caster: Druid on top. You could also swap out channel arcana for standard wildshape. Using arcane magic to do nature spells is what biomancy is, no?
Heck, you could just use the druid list on a wizard without breaking it as far as I know. Having unlimited access to BOTH lists is quite strong... But, as long as you directly dissallow healing from spell mastery, it shouldn't be the most overbearing.

PeteNutButter
2017-07-12, 10:17 PM
I don't have any hard solutions, but the MTG crossover makes me think of a whole new class, an MTG wizard which doesn't use spell slots or spell points but colored mana. Colored mana can follow the spell point chart, just colored. Your subclass determines colors and assign colors to each spell from every class list. Lightning Bolt/Fireball are obviously red, counterspell and most illusions blue, conjure animal spells green as well as most transmutation, black has an obvious handle on necromancy, with white being most cleric spells.

Then just make cool subclass features for each of the 5 colors along with color combos (like simic) or even three color combos (like Jund).

Boom MTG wizard.

Most of the work would be assigning a color to every spell in the book. Most of it should be common sense.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-12, 10:20 PM
I don't have any hard solutions, but the MTG crossover makes me think of a whole new class, an MTG wizard which doesn't use spell slots or spell points but colored mana. Colored mana can follow the spell point chart, just colored. Your subclass determines colors and assign colors to each spell from every class list. Lightning Bolt/Fireball are obviously red, counterspell and most illusions blue, conjure animal spells green as well as most transmutation, black has an obvious handle on necromancy, with white being most cleric spells.

Then just make cool subclass features for each of the 5 colors along with color combos (like simic) or even three color combos (like Jund).

Boom MTG wizard.

my brother likes this thank you. he wants to be a simic mage,so lets work on this ill make a new thread and we can hash out the details