PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Are Runes a thing? Or do they not exist.

Lorddenorstrus
2017-07-12, 08:25 PM
I'm trying to find if there's an existing framework for inscribing runes onto weapons or armor? If necessary create it myself, but I was hoping to find existing material first if possible. However the only thing I can think of Rune related is the Runesmith class which is not even close to what I was looking for.

If necessary, does anyone know of anything similar at least that could even be refluffed?

Nifft
2017-07-12, 08:33 PM
I'm trying to find if there's an existing framework for inscribing runes onto weapons or armor? If necessary create it myself, but I was hoping to find existing material first if possible. However the only thing I can think of Rune related is the Runesmith class which is not even close to what I was looking for.

If necessary, does anyone know of anything similar at least that could even be refluffed?

Artificier Infusions could fit the bill.

The Kensai's weapon-enhancement feature might work.

Gildedragon
2017-07-12, 09:02 PM
There are Imbued Gems from MoF which are essentially not unlike contingent spells: touch the gem and trigger the spell.
One could refluff that into being runes.

Also you could have the Magic Arms and Armor feat involve scribing runes onto the item.

mastermisha1
2017-07-12, 09:03 PM
The Runecaster prc (cant recall from what book) may fit the bill

Gildedragon
2017-07-12, 09:08 PM
FRCS also has Rune Magic which targets whoever touches the object.
There's also the Glyph of Warding spell which does a similar thing

Thurbane
2017-07-12, 09:36 PM
If you're open to 3rd party, The Book of Experimental Might (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/newreply.php?p=22189714&noquote=1) has the Runeblade base class; it's a 20 level long gish-in-a-can class that has rune based aiblities. These are split into three types: runes that affect yourself, runes that affect objects, and runes that affect others.

Bucky
2017-07-12, 09:45 PM
You could refluff existing weapon and armor enhancements as runes.

Telonius
2017-07-12, 09:47 PM
Weapon Crystals from Magic Item Compendium might work, if you re-fluff them.

ATHATH
2017-07-12, 10:17 PM
Seconding Artificer.

The Runescarred Berserker PrC might be something that you'd be interested in. It lets you carve spell-runes onto your own body that you can then activate later (with a touch, IIRC).

If you're going for a less gish-y character, the Glyph of Warding, Fire Trap, and Explosive Rune spells are rune-like in nature.

Evolved Shrimp
2017-07-15, 02:42 AM
The Runecaster prc (cant recall from what book) may fit the bill

Yes, runecasters should be quite close to what you‘re looking for. They‘re in Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and in Players‘ Guide to Faerûn.

BWR
2017-07-15, 05:37 AM
Yes, runes are a thing.
Yes, they exist.
Yes, many settings have them.
Yes, anyone with some way of manipulating tools can inscribe them on things, though you would probably want a Craft or Profession skill check to make it look good.

Melcar
2017-07-15, 06:23 AM

Craft inscription?

DEMON
2017-07-15, 07:26 AM
Inscribe Rune Feat (PGtF), requires craft skill and divine spellcaster levels:

A single object of Medium size or smaller can hold only one rune. A larger object can hold one rune per 25 square feet of surface area. Runes cannot be placed on creatures, although they can be drawn on equipment a creature carries.

Gruftzwerg
2017-07-15, 05:22 PM
The Runescarred Berserker PrC might be something that you'd be interested in. It lets you carve spell-runes onto your own body that you can then activate later (with a touch, IIRC).

Blood Magus would be the more caster variant of it. BM can gets the ability to scribe/scratch scrolls on his skin and brew potions in his blood.

ATHATH
2017-07-16, 01:46 AM
Inscribe Rune Feat (PGtF), requires craft skill and divine spellcaster levels:
A bit more on that: http://www.realmshelps.net/magic/rune.shtml

Dunsparce
2017-07-16, 02:27 AM
There are Runes from an issue of Dragon Magazine in an article based on the 2002/2003 PC game Gothic II. They are basically scrolls that anyone can use without a UMD check, and can not only be put on paper like scrolls, but also weapons and armor. They are x3 the price of scrolls(the cost increase from material and XP components does not triple though) and need the Etch Rune feat(its only prerequisite is having Scribe Scroll) to make yourself

Goaty14
2017-07-16, 06:25 PM
Races of Stone Rune Circles

Lorddenorstrus
2017-07-16, 06:44 PM
Weapon Crystals from Magic Item Compendium might work, if you re-fluff them.

Exactly what I was looking for.