PDA

View Full Version : Searching for accelerated spontaneous caster progression

ayvango
2017-07-12, 08:52 PM
I'd like to try rainbow servant so I need to find a good chassis for him. I noticed that it adds cleric spells to all spell lists, regardless of divine or arcane nature. So I'm searching for any fast progression spellcasting class that casts spontaneously like war-mage. I had a hope in blighter and divine crusader since both of them have very limited spell list. But to my surprise they both should prepare spells to cast. Had I missed some other choice?

mattie_p
2017-07-12, 09:04 PM
I believe sublime chord (Complete Arcane) might fit.

ayvango
2017-07-12, 09:08 PM
It is spontaneous in a sorcerer sense, not a warmage. So it offers nothing useful to radiant servant.

Waker
2017-07-12, 09:22 PM
Do you mean you are looking for a spontaneous caster with a fixed list? There might be some PrCs, but the only classes that I can think of are Beguiler, Dread Necromancer and Warmage.

Thurbane
2017-07-12, 09:45 PM
Do you mean you are looking for a spontaneous caster with a fixed list? There might be some PrCs, but the only classes that I can think of are Beguiler, Dread Necromancer and Warmage.

Yeah, pretty sure these are the only three - AFAIK, there aren't any PrCs that use this mechanic. And there is only a very small list of accelerated casting progression classes to begin with.

ATHATH
2017-07-12, 10:36 PM
Nope, sorry buddy- what you're looking for doesn't exist.

Now, what you CAN do is this: Be a Cleric and pick up the Heretic of the Faith, Initiate of Lathander, and Initiate of Amaunator feats. Then start dipping into stuff like Prestige Bard, Prestige Paladin, and/or Prestige Ranger, picking up their spell lists as you go. Congratulations, you can now spontaneously cast any Cure spell, any [fire] spell, any [light] spell, and any spell with "light" in its name that are on the Cleric list, exclusive to Bards/Paladins (pick one, since Prestige Paladin and Prestige Bard are mutually exclusive unless you perform an alignment change), or exclusive to Rangers.

If your DM will allow you to, enter Ur-Priest (with the Southern Magician feat) while still worshipping Lathander/Amaunator, which will cause you to lose your Clerical spellcasting but, if I'm interpreting this correctly, will technically let you keep your Initiate feats (but Lathander is probably gonna be really P-O'd at this, and thus might not let you worship him anymore).

So yeah, I guess you can cast spontaneously off (parts of) the Cleric spell list with an accelerated spell progression, but you're gonna have to find a way to justify entering Ur-Priest while still worshipping a deity to your DM/Lathander.

Rebel7284
2017-07-13, 12:09 PM
Consider Elrich Master prestige class instead. Get a new spell list in 4 levels instead of 10

ATHATH
2017-07-13, 02:21 PM
You could also use my above method with a Cleric 4/Binder 1/Chameleon 9/Eldritch Master 6 build, which would let you spontaneously cast [fire], [light], and "light" spells from ANY spell list.