PDA

View Full Version : Lack of inspiration

Sergio
2017-07-13, 09:00 AM
Hello, I have been asked by my DM to continue a campaign that we started a year ago, but that has been frozen for six months due to real life issues.

There is an issue:

Sixth months ago, I had just lost my character and the last time I met my DM for D&D was just to make another character; we finished the papers, but I’ve never played it. In our campaign roleplay is the basis of the whole session, but I’ve lost my enthusiasm to play that character.

So… I feel like I should be making another one, but I’ve got no ideas and this makes me so sad. I find that I lack of inspiration, something that poured me whenever I played these sessions. The pause hit me hard, maybe too hard.

So, how should I decide what I should be next, when I feel completely uninspired?

Long_shanks
2017-07-13, 09:16 AM
Play a Factotum with lots of Fonts of Inspiration?

Joking aside, when I'm dealing with such an issue, I usually go back to a character concept I enjoyed in the past and that I feel I've not played enough. Also, you should expose this to your DM and ask them if they are OK with you changing character if inspiration suddenly flows after a couple of games. That way, you are not married to a character and can change if need be.

Wraith
2017-07-13, 01:35 PM
Alternatively, pick the polar opposite to your dead character. Make him the mirror image in every way - if he was good, make him evil; if he was a martial character, make him a spellcaster - and see where it takes you. If ever you're stuck for inspiration and aren't sure what to do next, just ask yourself: "What WOULDN'T Corpsey McDeadguy Do?" and then do it. :smallbiggrin:

AnimeTheCat
2017-07-13, 01:41 PM
What's the campaign world like? Maybe fresh eyes/ears could provide new insight. Also, maybe talking about the world might make you remember something that you absolutely loved about that world.

ATHATH
2017-07-13, 02:33 PM
Hm...

A Cleric of the Burning Hate (a.k.a. Pelor)? An old Paladin that's riding out on "one last adventure" so that he'll die gloriously in battle instead of old age? A Sha'ir that argues like an old married couple with his Gen? A Kobold that aspires to be a Dragon some day? Someone that is trying to clear up their good name after a nasty Doppelganger smear campaign?

Do any of those help?

Jay R
2017-07-13, 03:17 PM
If you have no particular idea, then roll your stats in order, or use some other randomizer. The old-school method started with stats, and the inspiration came after.

Kaleph
2017-07-13, 03:23 PM
Actually, when I'm out of ideas, I end up wishing to play a factotum...seriously. Probably because I think I'll have so many options, that I'll find something to do that I will like.

By the way, as soon as I start to build the factotum I suddenly get the idea for the PC I'll play in the end (so I've never had a factotum in a serious campaign...).

Gildedragon
2017-07-13, 05:44 PM
Factotum is very solid as a base adventurer class
Binder and Soulmelders likewise let you dip a fair bit around in abilities
As for backstory: start building something fun and design backstory later

daremetoidareyo
2017-07-14, 09:54 AM
Find a ridiculous rules dysfunction, heartlessly exploit it, and try to make as believable a character around it as possible.

Jay R
2017-07-14, 11:51 AM
Go re-read your favorite fantasy novel, or watch your favorite fantasy movie. Many of my best inspirations start with other stories, even if they then take on a life of their own.

An elven thief patterned on Tarzan, a musketeer-era rogue patterned on Aladdin, etc.