PDA

View Full Version : Will Xan's Guide to Everything have the Revised Ranger?

jaappleton
2017-07-13, 11:19 AM
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/07/13/will-xanathars-guide-have-a-revised-ranger-in-it/

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

If the answer is 'No', they'll say 'No'.

But they can never say 'Yes'.

So, you can say I'm reaching here, or jumping to conclusions. And you'd certainly be very valid in saying that.

But I'm saying, yes, the Revised Ranger is in Xan's.

HOWEVER!

I don't like this. If my understanding is correct, wouldn't that mean your PHB+1 is PHB + Xan's if you want to be a Revised Ranger in AL, or any table that uses AL rules? Unless the Revised Ranger got a special caveat that it doesn't count against that.

rbstr
2017-07-13, 11:36 AM
I wonder if they'll change up the PHB+1 to something more like (PHB or Xan's) +1 or even PHB and Xan's +1.

Naanomi
2017-07-13, 11:38 AM
I wonder if they'll change up the PHB+1 to something more like (PHB or Xan's) +1 or even PHB and Xan's +1.
I doubt it... though I wouldn't be surprised if Revised Ranger just got a special caveat to exclude it from counting as your +1

Waterdeep Merch
2017-07-13, 11:50 AM
I wasn't expecting it. I wasn't even thinking it. But now that you've put it out there, I want it.

I'm a big fan of the Revised Ranger. If they don't put it in Xan's, I feel like they really ought to do what they plan to do with the Artificer and Mystic class- make a pseudo-official version available through DM's Guild.

jaappleton
2017-07-13, 11:55 AM
I wasn't expecting it. I wasn't even thinking it. But now that you've put it out there, I want it.

I'm a big fan of the Revised Ranger. If they don't put it in Xan's, I feel like they really ought to do what they plan to do with the Artificer and Mystic class- make a pseudo-official version available through DM's Guild.

It IS possible that Revised Ranged gets put on the AL, and is released through there. That's how they plan on releasing the Mystic and Artificer. I'd forgotten about that.

The point is, though, is that it really seems like RR is going to be official and legal.

Princess
2017-07-13, 11:56 AM
The PHB +1 rule is useless and it should be demoted to 'suggestion for novice to intermediate players' rather than actual AL mandate. I hope against hope that Xanithar destroys it with his many deadly eyes. Also the forced fluff rule about Clerics and no one else is silly, none of the modules actually do much with it, and it's technically an example of religious persecution going unpunished.

jaappleton
2017-07-13, 11:58 AM
The PHB +1 rule is useless and it should be demoted to 'suggestion for novice to intermediate players' rather than actual AL mandate. I hope against hope that Xanithar destroys it with his many deadly eyes. Also the forced fluff rule about Clerics and no one else is silly, none of the modules actually do much with it, and it's technically an example of religious persecution going unpunished.

They have the rule in place as a placeholder against future power creep, I think. Preventative strike against stacking 14 things together that were never intended to be together.

Naanomi
2017-07-13, 12:09 PM
Also the forced fluff rule about Clerics and no one else is silly, none of the modules actually do much with it, and it's technically an example of religious persecution going unpunished.
That they need to have deities instead of being clerics of philosophies? That has to do with Forgotten Realms fluff (even nearly every non-Cleric has a patron God in Forgotten Realms) and it being the official AL setting for 5e... or is there something else?

(Limiting the Volo's races to certain factions does irk me a little though)

Findulidas
2017-07-13, 12:12 PM
They have the rule in place as a placeholder against future power creep, I think. Preventative strike against stacking 14 things together that were never intended to be together.

I honestly think that is futile. If you dont want power creep then you have to stay with only PHB and basic stuff like that, ignore any later releases. Regardless if they are called PHB2 or similar.

Beelzebubba
2017-07-13, 12:20 PM
I honestly think that is futile. If you dont want power creep then you have to stay with only PHB and basic stuff like that, ignore any later releases. Regardless if they are called PHB2 or similar.

Or, you know, stick with stuff that has been tested against the PHB. Because that's what happens. They are all extensively tested with the core PHB info.

But... drum roll... not against each other.

That means.... PHB +1.

*mind blown*

Beelzebubba
2017-07-13, 12:22 PM
religious persecution going unpunished.

Haha what

You can't possibly be serious

PeteNutButter
2017-07-13, 12:32 PM
I doubt it... though I wouldn't be surprised if Revised Ranger just got a special caveat to exclude it from counting as your +1

Sadly, I doubt this will happen. If they were going to lift it for some thing, it would have been races. Imagine if you want to play a wizard as a race from volo's, at level 1 you lose both absorb elements and Booming Blade. It is the only thing preventing me from being a hobgoblin. (Although you could still scroll copy absorb elements if you get one.)

On a more positive side, the book sounds like it should have enough content that it is going to be the +1 for most new characters after release, if for no other reason then people wanting to try new stuff. If I'm buying the book (and I will be) then I damned well better use it for my next character.

Still sad though that it effectively kills being a ranger with a volo race, as no one is going to want to be phb ranger afterwards.

Princess
2017-07-13, 12:39 PM
That they need to have deities instead of being clerics of philosophies? That has to do with Forgotten Realms fluff (even nearly every non-Cleric has a patron God in Forgotten Realms) and it being the official AL setting for 5e... or is there something else?

(Limiting the Volo's races to certain factions does irk me a little though)

I meant more specifically the rule that your cleric has to pick only a domain from the 'suggested domains' column for the deities that have been mentioned in published 5e books. It means they're leaving out the other rather long list of setting specific deities, or begrudgingly allowing them if you just take the Life domain. It's annoying, and there isn't enough pay off in the DM Guild modules to justify the restriction.

Haha what

You can't possibly be serious

Calling out Lawful Evil behavior when I see it is part of my adventuring duty.

Oramac
2017-07-13, 12:41 PM
But I'm saying, yes, the Revised Ranger is in Xan's.

All I know is, if the RR is not in Xan's, I'm going to throw a **** fit from here to Waterdeep and back.

As for the PHB + 1 thing, it's largely irrelevant. The RR is not AL legal as UA, and regardless of how it's published (assuming it is published and outside of a specific exception) it'll be under the PHB+1 rule.