PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Does (Su) abilitys end when the monster dies?

Blu
2017-07-13, 11:27 AM
So, in the last encounter at the table i'm playing we encountered a Entropic Reaper(Libris mortis 98) and is bothering me is wether it's Su ability(Entropic Blade) ends when he dies or not?

It would make a big difference, since my character died for that ability.

DeTess
2017-07-13, 11:50 AM
Well, I assume the blade stops being an entropic blade once the being dies, but the effect seems to be a kind of curse or poison(only not quite), which wouldn't end just because the one that cast it is dead. However, even if someone comes by and corrects me and says it does end, that won't magically resurrect your character. That is for your DM to decide.

Venger
2017-07-13, 11:54 AM
yes, you lose all abilities when you're dead.

Blu
2017-07-13, 11:56 AM
yes, you lose all abilities when you're dead.

Yeah, but the effect stays?

DeTess
2017-07-13, 11:59 AM
For those not being able to look this one up, the ability makes it so that any blade held by the creatures forces a fort save when it attacks someone with it. If this save is failed, the character starts taking ability damage and gets to take more saves to stop it. If he fails his saves repeatedly, the character dies. The OP is wondering whether that effect on him would end if the creatures dies.

Telonius
2017-07-13, 01:32 PM
The wording of the ability reads, "An entropic reaper confers the entropic blade property upon any weapon it wields." A dead entropic reaper can't wield anything, so the blade itself doesn't have any of the abilities it used to. I think if an Entropic Reaper ht somebody, then died, the effect would continue. Kind of like a spell or a magical poison with a multiple-round duration; the magic takes effect when it hits, then continues until it's cycled through whatever it's supposed to do. (It's not measured in rounds of Concentration; the effect happens without the reaper taking any particular action after striking the target).

So, yeah, if you get hit by this thing, you're kind of boned unless you have a Heal or Restoration prepared.

Blu
2017-07-13, 03:15 PM
Specially if you are a couple of levels behind...
:smallfrown:
Well i lost my character then, i'll make another one then

EldritchWeaver
2017-07-14, 03:53 AM
Specially if you are a couple of levels behind...
:smallfrown:
Well i lost my character then, i'll make another one then

How did you end up being behind other players? If it is due to a house rule, talk with the DM that this is impacting you negatively. Less fun and more likely to die.

Remuko
2017-07-14, 01:47 PM
How did you end up being behind other players? If it is due to a house rule, talk with the DM that this is impacting you negatively. Less fun and more likely to die.

I may be wrong but somehow I interpreted what he said to mean the party was underleveled for the fight and thus didn't have the proper countermeasures available yet to undo the effects of its blade

Blu
2017-07-15, 12:26 AM
I may be wrong but somehow I interpreted what he said to mean the party was underleveled for the fight and thus didn't have the proper countermeasures available yet to undo the effects of its blade

Yeah, party was level 7...

DeTess
2017-07-15, 12:40 AM
Yeah, party was level 7...

So how did this not end in a TPK?

Blu
2017-07-15, 10:32 AM
So how did this not end in a TPK?

We managed to put up a lot of damage into it, with a Warblade with ludicrous STR and a ton of mountain hammers, with me, blastificer and a Bard with dragonfire inspiration
To be fair, half the party died(me and the blastificer) after the combat ended.