PDA

View Full Version : 2-Part Epoxy Resin

JellyPooga
2007-08-07, 11:25 AM
Gah! I hate this stuff...one of my mates came over the other day and broke my favourite bowl (by accident), but it was salvagable. I've just got round to starting on it, but I'd forgotten just how icky-sticky 2-part epoxy resin is. Now, my bowl is in 2 parts (as opposed to about 5) and I have really sticky fingers that are constantly sticking to everything I touch.

Does anyone have any de-sticky-fying tips that might help?

Thes Hunter
2007-08-07, 11:28 AM
Gah! I hate this stuff...one of my mates came over the other day and broke my favourite bowl (by accident), but it was salvagable. I've just got round to starting on it, but I'd forgotten just how icky-sticky 2-part epoxy resin is. Now, my bowl is in 2 parts (as opposed to about 5) and I have really sticky fingers that are constantly sticking to everything I touch.

Does anyone have any de-sticky-fying tips that might help?

I normally work with super glue, so I usually have crusty fingers more than sticky fingers. But with my own particular problem I find soaking them for a bit in warm soapy water helps get rid of it.

There is also acetone (AKA nail polish remover) but I tend to avoid dumping organic solvents onto my skin.

JellyPooga
2007-08-07, 12:10 PM
I normally work with super glue, so I usually have crusty fingers more than sticky fingers. But with my own particular problem I find soaking them for a bit in warm soapy water helps get rid of it.

There is also acetone (AKA nail polish remover) but I tend to avoid dumping organic solvents onto my skin.

I swear my fingers have evolved to be resistant to the binding effects of super-glue...I've used it so much in the past and now it practically falls off my fingers once it's dry...

...anyway...I've tried soapy water and it just made my fingers wet and sticky instead of just sticky :smallannoyed: and I too am loathe to make excessive use of acetone (that's some nasty stuff)...I'll try it if I ever get too much icky-sticky on my fingers...for now, I think I'll just wait for it to dry and pick it off (there's not that much, so it's not too much of a problem).

Wayril
2007-08-07, 01:58 PM
Having worked on a christmas tree farm, I have learned that paint thinner works well to get sap off. I think we used turpentine, but I'm not really positive. As for epoxy I imagine the same would work.

Edit: Just put a small amount on a rag, cause pouring the whole thing out is a waste and probably dangerous.

horseboy
2007-08-07, 02:22 PM
JB Weld or Green Stuff?
Have you tried regular rubbing alcohol?

Eldred
2007-08-07, 02:41 PM
I've been searching on Google, and this may be something to try:

Linky (http://www.ukra.org.uk/node/99)

BugFix
2007-08-07, 02:50 PM
I'd forgotten just how icky-sticky 2-part epoxy resin is. Now [...] I have really sticky fingers

DO NOT apply resin products (of which epoxy is only one) with your fingers! They are toxic before curing (especially with polyesters, some people can experience allergic reactions), emit fumes that are both toxic and flammable, and are, as you have discovered, insoluble and unremovable after curing.

Seriously, the instructions on the package tell you all this stuff; the manufacturer isn't joking. These are great adhesives, but you have to use them correctly and safely. At the very least, put on some gloves. Better yet, make a jig to hold the piece as the resin sets and grind off the excess with a Dremel. But stop touching it!

JellyPooga
2007-08-07, 06:22 PM
DO NOT apply resin products (of which epoxy is only one) with your fingers! They are toxic before curing (especially with polyesters, some people can experience allergic reactions), emit fumes that are both toxic and flammable, and are, as you have discovered, insoluble and unremovable after curing.

Seriously, the instructions on the package tell you all this stuff; the manufacturer isn't joking. These are great adhesives, but you have to use them correctly and safely. At the very least, put on some gloves. Better yet, make a jig to hold the piece as the resin sets and grind off the excess with a Dremel. But stop touching it!

But half the fun of using any glue is sticking your fingers together, prying them apart, getting slightly high/nauseous from the fumes, discovering that you have some kind of painful reaction to it (beyond the pain of ripping some skin off), cursing the fact that you touched the stuff in the first place and coming to terms with it, happy in the knowledge that despite your pain, the thing you wanted stuck is stuck good and proper! :smallbiggrin: :smallwink: :smalltongue:

In my experience, the manufacturers warnings are over-exaggerated...with good reason...they are as strict as they say (mostly) to cover their ass in the case of the 1-in-a- not using it "properly" and suffering some heinous allergic reaction or similar. Most people don't have to worry too much when it comes to commonly available adhesives...they just have to be careful not to stick their hands together and to keep it out of the reach of children. If I made excessive use of the stuff (like it was part of my job to use it or something), then yeah, I'd be more careful, 'cos prolonged exposure is bound to cause some problem or another. When you use it once every couple of years though, getting sticky fingers is just an amusing side-effect!

The heavy duty industrial strength adhesives on the other hand...yeah, you're totally right...stick to what the instructions say or you'll need surgery to unstick yourself.

[bit of a disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this post are based on years of personal experience with the glues and such I've used since I was a kid, with little to no adverse side effects. I do not recommend that anyone follow my lead in any way shape or form, nor do I condone the misuse of adhesives in any way. Some people do have [B]serious negative experiences with this stuff...read the instructions, follow the instructions...they're there for a reason...]

Thes Hunter
2007-08-07, 08:30 PM
After reading this, I thought that maybe one of those citrus based cleaners might have helped. But I don't know if I would put goo be gone on my fingers.

Cyrano
2007-08-07, 08:37 PM

How are you typing?

phoenixineohp
2007-08-07, 11:13 PM
I bloody hate super glue. It never fails to get on my and my clothing. :smallmad: Though I generally wears off I can't stand how it numbs my feeling. And how the fumes burn my eyes. Stupid glue mumble grumble.

Anyways, I'd suggest nail polish remover first. Maybe you get to experiment. Vodka? It's close enough to nail polish remover... Umm Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar is what I use to clean my cages and they act a good solvents. Good luck. :smallsmile:

reorith
2007-08-07, 11:23 PM
I bloody hate super glue. It never fails to get on my and my clothing. :smallmad:...

this is why i use superglue in the nude.
as for the matter at hand, i support acetone. and not just because it smells terrific.

Dragonrider
2007-08-07, 11:29 PM
[bit of a disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this post are based on years of personal experience with the glues and such I've used since I was a kid, with little to no adverse side effects.

No no no. Now we know how you ended up this way. :smallbiggrin:

janggeungulk
2013-11-19, 01:17 AM
Before using adhesive please check it is the cyanoacrylate adhesives or not, because that types of glues not stick to your hands.

Winter_Wolf
2013-11-21, 08:09 PM
Do you have isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol anywhere? I use that stuff on my knives all the time, gets the tape residue off it in a couple passes. Haven't had to try it on epoxy though. One thing that does not work if your epoxy is at all used for plumbing, is hot water and soapy steel wool. Unless you're looking to scald your hands and scrape the skin right off.

thubby
2013-11-22, 01:20 AM
nail polish remover usually works. the stuff exists to dissolve a similar compound.

failing that, oil based personal lubricant.
epoxies are usually thermosets, all of which are compromised by petrol products.

AtomicKitKat
2013-11-23, 06:48 PM
As someone who both sells the stuff and has experimented with it, some epoxy putties(in my case, 2 chewing gum-like strips that have to be mixed together) are incredibly tacky, and again, in my case, tore my finger-tips to the point that it looked like I'd stabbed it into a cactus. As in dozens of little pinpoints of blood. I've also had cause to work with the white caulking stuff that uses soapy water to cure. Both times, I had the misfortune of working on them ungloved(not being experienced with them at the time). I recommend keeping oil and/or water handy at all times during the work process, mainly to keep the stuff from sticking to your hands in the first place.

Since this is about removing the stuff however, I suggest using saliva, soapy water, cooking oil, alcohol, acetone, in that order.

My current peeve is looking for some way to remove a CA-glue from my jeans. If not, I guess I'll give it to Levi's for a $50 voucher next time they have said promotion.:smalltongue:

Forgot to add: If your skin dehydrates from acetone, soaking it in some warmish water will prop it back up. Assuming you only had a little dehydration...

mucat
2013-11-23, 08:04 PM
Folks, I think you accidentally resurrected a six-year old thread.

factotum
2013-11-24, 02:29 AM
Folks, I think you accidentally resurrected a six-year old thread.

It was actually resurrected by the spambot on the 19th--I reported that post at the time, surprised to see it still there!