PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Second hand PH apparently early edition?

ZorroGames
2017-07-13, 04:46 PM
I have a second hand copy of the Player Handbook, "... This printing includes correction to the first printing..."

Page 72, "When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack"

Page 195, "When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon you're holding in the other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to to the damage of the bonus attack, unless the modifier is negative."

So, if I take this fighting style and use a scimitar for the first attack and a short sword for the second attack which weapon gets the damage modifier?

I visited the WOTC D&D errata webpage but it seems to assume one has the later corrected edition printing.

Probably not seeing the obvious but these two statements confuses me.

Varlon
2017-07-13, 04:58 PM
By default, you do not add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack. If you take the Two-Weapon Fighting style, you do get to add that modifier to the bonus attack's damage.

Without TWF style: both attacks add your modifier to the D20 roll. The first attack adds your modifier to damage, but the second does not.
With TWF style: both attacks add your modifier to both the D20 and the damage.

lunaticfringe
2017-07-13, 05:11 PM
Specific Trumps General.

Not adding the Ability Modifier is a General Combat rule. Any Joe Shmoe (even a Wizard with 2 Daggers) can Two Weapon Fight with 2 light weapons but the Bonus Attack doesn't get the Mod. Two Weapon Fighting Style is Specific and overrides the General Rule.

ZorroGames
2017-07-13, 09:38 PM
Ah Ha!

Gracias for explaining the process.