PDA

View Full Version : Wish spell

Whit
2017-07-13, 04:56 PM
I might be reading to much into it, but when it says you can cast any 8th lvl spell, is that from any class wizard warlock cleric paladin Druid etc. or is it only from your class.

Another example given is heal up to 20 people to full health.

Seems more powerful than any heal spell.. mass heal can heal up to 700 but if 20 people had 100 hp each wish would be better

So, if that wish is an example what would other great examples be.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-07-13, 05:00 PM
I might be reading to much into it, but when it says you can cast any 8th lvl spell, is that from any class wizard warlock cleric paladin Druid etc. or is it only from your class.

Seems more powerful than any heal spell.. mass heal can heal up to 700 but if 20 people had 100 hp each wish would be better

Replicate any 8th (or lower) level spell. Doesn't matter the list.

Wish is a 9th level spell. It's supposed to be powerful. It's been seriously toned down since earlier editions, though.

RSP
2017-07-13, 05:04 PM

Keep in mind healing 20 people with Wish has some serious repercussions to it as opposed to just having the effect of another spell.

Sigreid
2017-07-13, 09:29 PM
Keep in mind healing 20 people with Wish has some serious repercussions to it as opposed to just having the effect of another spell.

Yep, and my favorite abuse of simulacra isn't the chain for a world filled me me, it's creating one and ordering it to cast the risky versions of wish and chance burning out the spell. No big deal since they can't regain it anyway.

sir_argo
2017-07-13, 10:17 PM
Yep, and my favorite abuse of simulacra isn't the chain for a world filled me me, it's creating one and ordering it to cast the risky versions of wish and chance burning out the spell. No big deal since they can't regain it anyway.

See, I have a very simple house rule to deal with all Simulacrum shenanigans. Spells with limits or adverse effects act as if cast by the Simulacrum's creator. So between both the Simulacrum and its creator, they can only have a single Light cantrip active. Only one Contingency. Only one Find Familiar. If the 1st Simulacrum casts Simulacrum to create a 2nd, the 1st is destroyed instantly (per the spell as if the creator had cast the spell). If the Simulacrum casts Wish and suffers a permanent adverse effect, it effects the creator instead (as if the creator had cast the spell).

Nice. Neat. Prevents abuse.

imanidiot
2017-07-13, 11:05 PM

As I understand it, the Simulacrum spell creates a copy of you at the time the spell was cast. So if you used Wish to cast it, the Simulacrum would not have an unexpended 9th level spell slot without a boon.

RSP
2017-07-14, 07:03 AM
As I understand it, the Simulacrum spell creates a copy of you at the time the spell was cast. So if you used Wish to cast it, the Simulacrum would not have an unexpended 9th level spell slot without a boon.

I don't think the plan is to use Wish to make a Simulacrum; its to cast Simulacrum with the normal 6th level slot, then have the Simulacrum cast Wish and take on the risks and negative side effects.

Jaxter Gronaldi
2017-07-14, 07:05 AM
Wish to be 20th level and not suffer adverse effects. 😎

Dappershire
2017-07-14, 07:27 AM
Wish to be 20th level and not suffer adverse effects. ��

Enjoy your 20th Level basket weaver. Your fame will proceed you down river -and- up.

Jaxter Gronaldi
2017-07-14, 07:33 AM
Wish to gain 200 levels in wizard with no other effects or twists.

Sigreid
2017-07-14, 04:35 PM
See, I have a very simple house rule to deal with all Simulacrum shenanigans. Spells with limits or adverse effects act as if cast by the Simulacrum's creator. So between both the Simulacrum and its creator, they can only have a single Light cantrip active. Only one Contingency. Only one Find Familiar. If the 1st Simulacrum casts Simulacrum to create a 2nd, the 1st is destroyed instantly (per the spell as if the creator had cast the spell). If the Simulacrum casts Wish and suffers a permanent adverse effect, it effects the creator instead (as if the creator had cast the spell).

Nice. Neat. Prevents abuse.

I've never played with people who would make that kind of house rule necessary. Or I should say I won't play with them more than once. The shenanigans I'm likely to engage is is using wish to grant damage resistances, or raise a tower by magic. I don't see spending thousands of gold to do these sorts of things as a big threat to the game if you are playing at a level where wish is even on the table.

I don't think the plan is to use Wish to make a Simulacrum; its to cast Simulacrum with the normal 6th level slot, then have the Simulacrum cast Wish and take on the risks and negative side effects.

Yes, that is the plan. Spend a mountain of good to get some of the dangerous wishes, especially the permanent benefits you can wish for.

imanidiot
2017-07-15, 01:19 AM
Wish to gain 200 levels in wizard with no other effects or twists.

Too many qualifiers, spell fails. Also, in-character what is a "level in wizard"?

sightlessrealit
2017-07-15, 01:34 AM
I once used a Wish Spell to permanently turn myself into an ant. My DM and my companions were like, WTF.

In a homebrew Tomb of Annihilation game at the end credits of the campaign we had a stone that had 3 wishes. Two of which had been used to beat ol Lich(sort of but not really). Now the Wishes were deliberately monkey paw(and we were in character made aware of this). So since no one else wanted to use the last Wish I went and just straight up went along with the Monkey Paw effect.

I wished that I knew how to become a Lich and go mad in the process. As a result I was turned into ol Lich & went mad at the realization. :D I was quite satisfied with the result.

Findulidas
2017-07-15, 04:59 AM
The obvious broken choice is to wish for more wishes. I doubt that would ever fly though.

As for sudden chaotic evil/insane wishes its not high scope enough. You have to do something really bad like wish to free tharizdun, open a hole to the abyss, free miska the wolf spider or for a thousand years of darkness.

EKruze
2017-07-15, 09:20 AM
Also, in-character what is a "level in wizard"?

Obviously the character arrives at The Wizard of Wines vineyard at Barovia in possession of a large number of Woodworking tools.