PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Moving, then holding action to charge

TallerSpine
2017-07-13, 07:20 PM
I am wondering if the following tactic works. I bet others have already thought of it, but I was not sure how to go about searching for it.

I was thinking about making a charger build. But, the biggest issue is finding a 10 foot line to charge. So, here was my thought. I charge the first round, use pounce, and then a target moves up to attack me. How do I charge this round? How about I spend a move action to move ten feet away:

e = Enemy
m = me
o = empty space:

emoo

I move to here (provoking an attack of opportunity, so if I take Karmic Strike, I can follow it up with a free attack):

eoom

Then, I hold my action until a trigger that is automatically triggered. For example, I hold my action until I am standing in the square I am currently standing. The held action automatically triggers immediately because I am already standing in that square. Now, for my turn, I am limited to a standard action since that is all that is readied. Since I only have a standard action for my turn, I can charge as a standard action, but only up to my base movement (not double movement, as normal). I make a DC 20 jump check (this is the DC for a standing jump that will cover 10 feet of horizontal distance). This places me right back where I started, activates Leap attack for extra damage, and hi-jinx ensue:

emoo

Does this tactic work (according to RAW)? Does this qualify as a charge, allowing me to pounce on my enemy? I realize the cheese factor is a bit high here, but in the campaign I am about to play in, I don't think the cheese factor will be an issue. I fully expect the DM to kill us regardless. I just want to see how many enemies I can take down with me! And since magic users are out... I was hoping a charger would suffice.

OldTrees1
2017-07-13, 08:01 PM
If you normally can't take a move action & a charge, why would you think you could take a move action & ready a charge? In the turn where you readied the action you did not qualify for a standard action charge. Therefore you can't ready a standard action charge.

TallerSpine
2017-07-13, 09:02 PM
If you normally can't take a move action & a charge, why would you think you could take a move action & ready a charge? In the turn where you readied the action you did not qualify for a standard action charge. Therefore you can't ready a standard action charge.

I see where you are coming from and agree that the tactic probably would not work. Question, though. Suppose an enemy is invisible. Are you allowed to ready an action to charge as soon as the enemy becomes visible? You are not eligible for a standard action charge, so by what you just said, the answer would be no. I realize that is a different circumstance, as you have not used a move action in the round, so you would be eligible for a full-round charge whereas the original scenario was using a move action, then trying to ready an action to charge. Just curious if that would still be prohibited by RAW. Are you never allowed to ready an action to charge?

TallerSpine
2017-07-13, 09:23 PM
Also, even though my tactic did not work, is there an RAW way to charge two rounds in a row?

OldTrees1
2017-07-13, 09:35 PM
Remember there is always the Delay option. That would allow you to wait until after the enemy became visible. The difference is you would react slightly slower and not be able to interrupt them.

As for charging multiple rounds in a row:
You could charge another foe.
You could move 10ft as a swift action (the Sudden Leap maneuver is an example).

Finally, you could just full attack rather than charge again.

KillianHawkeye
2017-07-13, 09:47 PM
No, as already mentioned, you don't qualify to take the Charge as a Standard Action. This is typically only possible during a surprise round or if you have been slowed (or are under a similar effect that restricts the actions you can take). Also, you cannot Ready an Action for something that is currently true or about to be true on your current turn, especially not something that you yourself make happen, because that's nonsense. It literally doesn't make sense.

What you really need to do is get a pair of Anklets of Translocation (or whatever the name is, the ones that let you teleport 10 feet as a swift action a couple times a day), take the Travel Devotion feat for free action movement for one battle a day, or simply make sure to kill the guy you charge in one go so that you can just charge somebody new every round.

Necroticplague
2017-07-13, 10:01 PM
Are you never allowed to ready an action to charge?

Only if you're Slowed, suffering from the zombie's Single Actions Only, or similar.

Also, even though my tactic did not work, is there an RAW way to charge two rounds in a row?
Yes, quiet a few.
1.Charge someone else.
2.Swift/free action movement (Travel Devotion, Sudden leap, Anklets of Translocation)
3.Larger than standard allotment of actions (Choker's Swiftness, Shapechange into a Chronotryn, playing a Sharn)

TallerSpine
2017-07-13, 10:26 PM
No, as already mentioned, you don't qualify to take the Charge as a Standard Action. This is typically only possible during a surprise round or if you have been slowed (or are under a similar effect that restricts the actions you can take). Also, you cannot Ready an Action for something that is currently true or about to be true on your current turn, especially not something that you yourself make happen, because that's nonsense. It literally doesn't make sense.

What you really need to do is get a pair of Anklets of Translocation (or whatever the name is, the ones that let you teleport 10 feet as a swift action a couple times a day), take the Travel Devotion feat for free action movement for one battle a day, or simply make sure to kill the guy you charge in one go so that you can just charge somebody new every round.

Travel Devotion is awesome! Thanks!

Actually, I disagree with you on readying actions for conditions that are already true. I see nothing in the rules that prohibits it. It likely lack purpose (you could easily ask why someone would want to do that, and that would be a valid point, but there is nothing in the rules prohibiting it.

Yeah, my goal is to kill every round, but the adventure is for 6th level characters. Still, good advice! Thank you.

TallerSpine
2017-07-13, 10:28 PM
Only if you're Slowed, suffering from the zombie's Single Actions Only, or similar.

Yes, quiet a few.
1.Charge someone else.
2.Swift/free action movement (Travel Devotion, Sudden leap, Anklets of Translocation)
3.Larger than standard allotment of actions (Choker's Swiftness, Shapechange into a Chronotryn, playing a Sharn)

Awesome! Thanks! What is a Sharn? I know the city from the Eberron Campaign setting, but is there a creature called a Sharn, too?

TallerSpine
2017-07-13, 10:35 PM
Remember there is always the Delay option. That would allow you to wait until after the enemy became visible. The difference is you would react slightly slower and not be able to interrupt them.

As for charging multiple rounds in a row:
You could charge another foe.
You could move 10ft as a swift action (the Sudden Leap maneuver is an example).

Finally, you could just full attack rather than charge again.

Yeah, if it comes down to it, I may have to do that. What about jumping over someone? I Think I recall a feat or skill trick that allows me to treat a standing jump as though I had a running start. With a DC 32 jump check you can clear 8 feet of vertical height. Will you also cover enough horizontal distance to jump 10 feet? Are there rules for jumping both vertically and horizontally?

I'm mainly thinking for the purposes of charging another target, but if this should be in a separate thread, I can move it.

KillianHawkeye
2017-07-14, 03:04 AM
Friendly Tip: You can edit your posts when adding new information rather than posting several times in a row. To quote multiple posts, use the "+ (multi-quote) button.

Forum Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/misc.php?do=showrules)

Gruftzwerg
2017-07-14, 03:39 AM

have a look at "Stagger" from Drunken Master 2 (not the film, the PRC ;)

Stagger enables you to freely change directions while charging:

e.g.:
- run back and forth to charge the same enemy (or any other enemy standing right next to you at the start of your turn).
- (if you can fly) make a looping to charge the same spot again (including dive bonus multiplier for piercing and slashing weapons).

I did make use of this in many of my charge builds, cause all the other options almost always cost you a "swift action" or have other limitations (limited use/day). Stagger is the only way to make charge always possible (unless you are in fighting in small 5x10ft space rooms).

Necroticplague
2017-07-14, 04:24 AM
Awesome! Thanks! What is a Sharn? I know the city from the Eberron Campaign setting, but is there a creature called a Sharn, too?

They're a monster originally in Monsters of Faerun, updated to 3.5 in Aunauroch: Shades of an Empire adventure book.

Darrin
2017-07-14, 06:20 AM
There's also Boots of the Battle Charger (2000 GP, MIC), which allows you to charge as a standard action 2/day. (If you want to do it more than 2/day, buy more boots.) This could allow you to ready a charge action, although I'm not sure why you'd want to... just move back from your target as a move action, activate the boots as a swift, and then charge as a standard action.

TallerSpine
2017-07-14, 06:25 AM
have a look at "Stagger" from Drunken Master 2 (not the film, the PRC ;)

Stagger enables you to freely change directions while charging:

e.g.:
- run back and forth to charge the same enemy (or any other enemy standing right next to you at the start of your turn).
- (if you can fly) make a looping to charge the same spot again (including dive bonus multiplier for piercing and slashing weapons).

I did make use of this in many of my charge builds, cause all the other options almost always cost you a "swift action" or have other limitations (limited use/day). Stagger is the only way to make charge always possible (unless you are in fighting in small 5x10ft space rooms).

That's exactly what I am looking for! Thank you! I've actually only seen one drunken master played. When the party monk/wizard/drunken master turned himself into a lich, my DM ruled that because Drink Like a Demon was an extraordinary ability, it no longer functioned now that he was immune to poison.

They're a monster originally in Monsters of Faerun, updated to 3.5 in Aunauroch: Shades of an Empire adventure book.

I'll check that out!

Karl Aegis
2017-07-14, 11:28 AM
Cometary Collision feat in Player's Handbook II