PDA

View Full Version : Barbarians with magic.

TheCrowing1432
2017-07-13, 07:32 PM
Barbarians are the only class in the game that does not have magic in any way. Most of the others do, either as main features of the class or as a subclass (Eldirtch Knight, Arcane Trickster) but Barbarians do not, oh sure their totems could be seen as spell like abilities, but its not actual spellcasting.

I kind of miss the Rune Scarred Berzerker of 3.5, though without the stupid lodge requirements. I think it would be cool if we had something like that as a sub class here.

Maybe the spells could work like the warlock casting system, they get a number of spells known, but a limited number of spell slots in which to use it with.

Naanomi
2017-07-13, 07:38 PM
Totem Barbarians have a few spells they cast as rituls...

S@tanicoaldo
2017-07-13, 07:43 PM
They don't need magic, they eat wizards for breakfast.

PeteNutButter
2017-07-13, 09:01 PM
I homebrewed a subclass a while ago... Basically EK on barb chasis with more cool abilities. Probably a tad OP.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?481113-A-New-Rage-Mage

mgshamster
2017-07-13, 09:06 PM
Well, besides totem Barbs betting ritual spells, you can always pick up the magic initiative feat, ritual caster feat, or be a race who gets spells natively.

8wGremlin
2017-07-13, 09:21 PM
I actually like vHuman Barbarians with Ritual Caster (wizard) - there are some cool spells that are really useful for a barbarian lifestyle.

1 Alarm
1 Comprehend Languages
1 Detect Magic
1 Find Familiar
1 Identify
1 Illusory Script
1 Tenser's Floating Disk
1 Unseen Servant

2 Gentle Repose
2 Magic Mouth
2 Skywrite

3 Feign Death
3 Leomund's Tiny Hut
3 Phantom Steed
3 Water Breathing

5 Contact Other Plane
5 Rary'S Telepathic Bond

6 Dwawmij's Instants Summons

lunaticfringe
2017-07-13, 10:05 PM
I actually like vHuman Barbarians with Ritual Caster (wizard) - there are some cool spells that are really useful for a barbarian lifestyle.

1 Alarm
1 Comprehend Languages
1 Detect Magic
1 Find Familiar
1 Identify
1 Illusory Script
1 Tenser's Floating Disk
1 Unseen Servant

2 Gentle Repose
2 Magic Mouth
2 Skywrite

3 Feign Death
3 Leomund's Tiny Hut
3 Phantom Steed
3 Water Breathing

5 Contact Other Plane
5 Rary'S Telepathic Bond

This. One of my players did this. Acolyte Barbarian who was her Tribe's Shaman in Training, twas awesome.

8wGremlin
2017-07-14, 02:33 AM
This. One of my players did this. Acolyte Barbarian who was her Tribe's Shaman in Training, twas awesome.

I played exactly that! Acolyte Barbarian vHuman, was so much fun.
I re-fluffed everything as calling on spirits to do the things...

"I call to you Mother 'Larm watch over us this night, warn us of danger, and keep us safe"
then offer prayers and chant whilst using a spirit drum and incense, and wander around the area, ritually casting Alarm.

"Spirits of the northwind I call upon thee, for we must travel swift and fast, I beseech you, send us your aid"
Offer prayers to the northwind, chanting, drumming and wafting incense about, calling in to the north and ritually casting Phantom Steed.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-17, 02:27 PM

1 Alarm
1 Comprehend Languages
1 Detect Magic
1 Find Familiar
1 Identify
1 Illusory Script
1 Tenser's Floating Disk
1 Unseen Servant

2 Gentle Repose
2 Magic Mouth
2 Skywrite

3 Feign Death
3 Leomund's Tiny Hut
3 Phantom Steed
3 Water Breathing

5 Contact Other Plane
5 Rary'S Telepathic Bond

Barbarian with Find familiar is a great way to play a Non-Ranger Ranger.

silvertree
2017-07-17, 04:15 PM
In addition to the suggestions already made, I'd point out the UA prestige class Rune Scribe (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Rune_Magic_Prestige_Class.pdf), which you could jump into after 5 levels in Barbarian. You'd just need to get proficiency in the Arcana skill, which can be done via background, and meet the attribute requirements.

And since you're looking for a Rune Scarred Berserker, this is probably the closest you can get to what you're looking for.