PDA

View Full Version : Optimization I am your High King, now march!!!! (But how?)

Town_Drunk
2017-07-13, 08:00 PM
I am currently trying to cheese leadership and such with a very leader oriented character. I don't really have an idea for what kind of guy he'd be, but here are a few ideas I plan to implement to the character.

High King Torgir Gundadrakk (Love Warhammer dwarf names) is an ancient dwarf, going into the 300's, but still rules his people with Wisdom, Power, and Fairness. However, some of the local lords are beginning to talk, saying he's gone daft, that he's no longer "Optimitched", dwarven for "Useful." Maybe his seers can come up with a solution to this problem, show him his past and future to make sure he is as capable as he can be for the struggles he'll face in his rule.

1: He is a Dream Dwarf, so he suffers a -2 to Dex instead of Cha and gains many more helpful benefits. As such, in my campaign, they're the natural-born leaders of the Dwarfs. If there are any Templates (LA +0) that you can recommend, I am open. But ensure that he would still be LG. (So Half Undead Fetch is not an option)

2: He has feats like Extra Followers, Improved Cohort, and Wild Cohort (Dire Tortise to emphasise defense, also..... tortise.) because he is the "High King" after-all. The cohort is his wife, Heidi, a Female Dwarf (Normal) Barbarian/Bear-Warrior/War(Win)-Shaper. He surrounds himself with his elite bodyguard, or in other words, his 4 level 6 Dwarven High King's Guard.

3: He has taken 3 levels of Marshal, because anymore would be a mistake, but what the hell do I take for the rest of the 15 levels? Perhaps some bard, but more military oriented. Legendary Leader may also work, but I lack filler classes to enhance his leadership skills.

4: The only 2 feats out of the starting 3 (2 Flaws if you're wondering) he currently has are Wild Cohort and Celestial Scion - Craden for money and Diplomacy, so feat assistance would also be helpful for both the last starter feat and 3rd level feat. Then, after taking Leadership, Extra Followers, and Improved Cohort, where do I go from there?

5: His physical stats are horrendous, so he leaves fighting to his allies, but he helps boost his allies during fights, so *maybe* some bard. By horrendous physical stats, he has 9 Str, 5 Dex, 11 Con. However, his mental stats are 16 Int, 15 Wis, 18 Cha (And this is just level 3 Torgir, I'm looking for 18th level leader.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, if Thrallherd would be more helpful, I am open to taking that instead. But I'd like to stay as non-psionic as possible, but if it's unavoidable, then feel free to suggest.

Gildedragon
2017-07-13, 08:23 PM
the Spark template is pretty handy (+2 cha -2 wis, LA +0)

Bard is pretty handy. There's also a couple feats in Dragmag that use perform skills to have effects, like bonus against fear, and stuff of the sort.

Hackulator
2017-07-13, 09:38 PM
Remember that you don't actually have to be using music for bardic music. Go Bard, take perform: oratory, and just recite ancient dwarven texts to bolster your allies.

ATHATH
2017-07-13, 10:24 PM
Normally I'd recommend Thrallherd (a prestige class entirely based around this kind of thing) and/or the Despot (which gets Leadership as a bonus feat at 5th level (NOT 6th)), but you requested a LG character. In that case... Hm, maybe take familiar-related feats, like Obtain Familiar and Improved Familiar? Sadly, you're not a Changeling, so you can't take the really good (for a familiar-based character) 5th level substitution level. Anyway, here's a handbook for ya: http://dictummortuum.blogspot.qa/2011/08/familiars-handbook.html

Town_Drunk
2017-07-13, 11:57 PM
This is fantastic so far! Thank you!

Another question I have is: How can I increase my inspire range? I recently found War Chanter, and Inspire Legion is pretty kickass (I.E. My level 1 guys within 60ft have a BAB equal to my personal Bodyguard, with a BAB 19, or my level in case she isn't around, which is 18, and gain all the benefit of extra attacks and power attack abuse.) But how can I make it from 60ft to 'further?'

Gildedragon
2017-07-14, 01:11 AM
Inspire Courage is a Su ability so Enlarge Supernatural Ability (ToM) would work ditto for Widen Supernatural Ability (ibid)

2017-07-14, 01:14 AM
I think therecs an instrument from some splat that extends your range quite a bit (some giant mountain horn equivalent).

Dromuthra
2017-07-14, 01:48 AM
Specifically, you are looking for the Alphorn from Song and Silence on page 42 that makes your Inspire Courage, Inspire Greatness, and Countersong affect people within 1d10 miles.

Also worth noting is the Badge of Valor (MIC) which can increase IC 3/day, the Song of the Heart feat for another +1, and the Words of Creation (for doubling of bonuses).

Sagetim
2017-07-15, 04:20 AM
I am currently trying to cheese leadership and such with a very leader oriented character. I don't really have an idea for what kind of guy he'd be, but here are a few ideas I plan to implement to the character.

High King Torgir Gundadrakk (Love Warhammer dwarf names) is an ancient dwarf, going into the 300's, but still rules his people with Wisdom, Power, and Fairness. However, some of the local lords are beginning to talk, saying he's gone daft, that he's no longer "Optimitched", dwarven for "Useful." Maybe his seers can come up with a solution to this problem, show him his past and future to make sure he is as capable as he can be for the struggles he'll face in his rule.

1: He is a Dream Dwarf, so he suffers a -2 to Dex instead of Cha and gains many more helpful benefits. As such, in my campaign, they're the natural-born leaders of the Dwarfs. If there are any Templates (LA +0) that you can recommend, I am open. But ensure that he would still be LG. (So Half Undead Fetch is not an option)

2: He has feats like Extra Followers, Improved Cohort, and Wild Cohort (Dire Tortise to emphasise defense, also..... tortise.) because he is the "High King" after-all. The cohort is his wife, Heidi, a Female Dwarf (Normal) Barbarian/Bear-Warrior/War(Win)-Shaper. He surrounds himself with his elite bodyguard, or in other words, his 4 level 6 Dwarven High King's Guard.

3: He has taken 3 levels of Marshal, because anymore would be a mistake, but what the hell do I take for the rest of the 15 levels? Perhaps some bard, but more military oriented. Legendary Leader may also work, but I lack filler classes to enhance his leadership skills.

4: The only 2 feats out of the starting 3 (2 Flaws if you're wondering) he currently has are Wild Cohort and Celestial Scion - Craden for money and Diplomacy, so feat assistance would also be helpful for both the last starter feat and 3rd level feat. Then, after taking Leadership, Extra Followers, and Improved Cohort, where do I go from there?

5: His physical stats are horrendous, so he leaves fighting to his allies, but he helps boost his allies during fights, so *maybe* some bard. By horrendous physical stats, he has 9 Str, 5 Dex, 11 Con. However, his mental stats are 16 Int, 15 Wis, 18 Cha (And this is just level 3 Torgir, I'm looking for 18th level leader.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, if Thrallherd would be more helpful, I am open to taking that instead. But I'd like to stay as non-psionic as possible, but if it's unavoidable, then feel free to suggest.

I vote that your dwarf high king should have awakened cats as followers, with your first level ones being level 1 rogues with swarm fighting and weapon finesse. And he'll carry them around in a modified bag of holding, that can only hold cats, but they don't suffocate in it. And then when a fight breaks out the cats all spring out of the bag to attack as one in a torrent of claws and sneak attacks and flanking bonuses. I mean, I suppose you could do this with halflings or another short race too, but it seems far more amusing if you do it with cats.

Oh, and you could take 12 levels of warblade/swordsage/crusader and get a bunch of white raven maneuvers with which to bash your enemies into submission with your allies. There Are other aura based classes, but Divine Mind is terrible, and Dragon Shaman is also terrible. Oh, and you could have your cats be sword sages for even more ridiculous shenanigans, with the higher level followers having the feat to add dexterity to their damage along with to hit for melee with shadow hand weapons. I don't think claws would count as a shadow hand weapon, but at that point you could probably give them some +1 cat sized short swords and just move on. After all, they're going to be your elite followers, assassinating those who oppose you with their hats of disguise to make people think they are just wearing a collar or some kind of silly cat costume so that they can slip unnoticed, or at least unsuspected, into the target's location and eliminate them with a flurry of unexpectedly damaging stabbing.

I think I'm imagining your high king as the head of some kind of cat mafia instead of an actual war band...so...I should sleep.