PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Class/Prestige Class

Zombulian
2017-07-13, 09:48 PM
Hey guys, I was just looking through my old bookshelf and found some old character sheets. One of them I found fairly interesting. The build stub was: Paladin 1/Crusader 2/Warblade 2/HR 3
Now, I can't for the life of me figure out what "HR" is supposed to mean. If these clues help at all, it was a Smite to Song build, so it has stuff like Dragonfire Inspiration and Song of the White Raven. The build also apparently has Resist Acid 5, Resist Electricity 5, and Smite Good 1/day.
At first I thought I might've meant Heartfire Fanner, but the build doesn't have the Prereq feats.

Tl;dr
What class or prestige class has the initials HR?

Hackulator
2017-07-13, 09:54 PM
Human Racial Paragon class?

Kaje
2017-07-13, 09:55 PM
hellreaver

Zombulian
2017-07-13, 10:09 PM
Human Racial Paragon class?

The build has full BAB so it can't be that :/

hellreaver

Really good guess considering the context, but none of those class features are noted on the sheet, and Hellreaver doesn't account for the resistances, and definitely doesn't account for having the ability to smite good.

mabriss lethe
2017-07-13, 11:36 PM
Hospitaler?

ATHATH
2017-07-14, 02:49 AM
Something homebrewed?

ShurikVch
2017-07-14, 04:53 AM
Half-Rakshasa savage progression (it have LA: +3)?

Telonius
2017-07-14, 06:57 AM
If it weren't Smite Good, I'd think maybe Harmonious Knight (from Champions of Valor web enhancement). It has a few Bard-ish abilities, but you wouldn't get the third level until 9th.

It's actually kind of unusual for something to give you Resist Acid and Electricity (just those two, nothing else) 5. The only creature or template I can find that does that is Pseudonatural. It's a template that can be applied to "any corporeal creature," but doesn't list a level adjustment. You'd need Dragonblood for Dragonfire Inspiration, so the other half of Half-Rakshasa, would have to be something draconic. (You can get it even without, but you don't have enough feats available to do something like that). Anyway, if the base creature is a Half Rakshasa, and you applied Pseudonatural to it, that could explain the "HR 3" as well as the resistances.

For Smite Good, maybe you were using Paladin of Slaughter or Tyranny?

noce
2017-07-14, 07:41 AM
Smite Good could come from Tyranny or Slaughter paladin 1, maybe you just wrote paladin for semplicity.

Hackulator
2017-07-14, 11:36 AM
Smite Good could come from Tyranny or Slaughter paladin 1, maybe you just wrote paladin for semplicity.

This seems more likely.

ShurikVch
2017-07-14, 04:31 PM
Smite Good could come from Tyranny or Slaughter paladin 1, maybe you just wrote paladin for semplicity.Or Anti-Paladin

Goaty14
2017-07-14, 04:35 PM
Or Anti-Paladin

blackguard.

ShurikVch
2017-07-14, 04:45 PM
blackguard.While Blackguard PrC, indeed, have access to Smite Good, but isn't included in the list of classes
I meant Anti-Paladin as "Chaotic Evil variant of basic Paladin class from Dragon #312" (LE and NE variants got Smite Chaos and Smite Heathen)

Venger
2017-07-14, 07:11 PM
From a glance at the list of prcs, there is no prc that's two words of the form H____ R____

This leads me to believe it's a contraction of a single word prc.

Might it be hathran or heartwarder?

Something homebrewed?

Most likely.

Did you write down any of the class features on the sheet? that would narrow it down considerably. You mentioned it's full ba. Anything else?

Zombulian
2017-07-14, 08:59 PM
From a glance at the list of prcs, there is no prc that's two words of the form H____ R____

This leads me to believe it's a contraction of a single word prc.

Might it be hathran or heartwarder?

Most likely.

Did you write down any of the class features on the sheet? that would narrow it down considerably. You mentioned it's full ba. Anything else?

Hmm it doesn't qualify for Hathran or Heartwarder. While HR is still a mystery, I do think I've discovered the source of the resistances as well as the smite good ability (paladin of tyranny or something would make sense if the character weren't listed as LG). I noticed that the build has more skill ranks in some skills than is possible for a character of this level, so I went to look at Bloodlines. The Demon Bloodline provides all of those things.

Honestly with the resistance part squared away, I think Hellreaver is the most reasonable assumption, especially now that I see that he has a Armor Crystal of Adaptation (assumedly for planar traveling purposes).

Telonius
2017-07-14, 09:29 PM
Maybe an outside shot, but possibly Battle Howler of Gruumsh? With Smite to Song, you could qualify.

Zombulian
2017-07-15, 12:03 AM
Maybe an outside shot, but possibly Battle Howler of Gruumsh? With Smite to Song, you could qualify.

Huh, you don't actually need bardic music to get into that class at all it seems.
Never heard of it! Neat thought.

ShurikVch
2017-07-16, 08:32 AM
While HR is still a mystery, I do think I've discovered the source of the resistances as well as the smite good ability (paladin of tyranny or something would make sense if the character weren't listed as LG).Is it possible it's a typo - either LG instead LE, or Smite Good instead Smite Evil (E and G are close enough in alphabet)?

But if there is no typo, then maybe a Half-Fiend (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a) savage progression with (Half)-Fiendish Variety (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) rules, which are allow to fine-tune common Half-Fiend template?
Among the fiends on "R" we have Rel (Dungeon #112), Reth Dekala (Tome of Battle), Rhyxali, The Demon Princess of Shadow (Book of Vile Darkness WE (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20030117a)), Rukarazyll (Monster Manual II), and Rutterkin (Fiendish Codex I)

Tiri
2017-07-16, 08:36 AM
It probably isn't Reth Dekala as that would more probably be written 'HRD', if condensed into an acronym at all, and I don't know that they really count as fiends, either.

Zombulian
2017-07-16, 05:07 PM
Is it possible it's a typo - either LG instead LE, or Smite Good instead Smite Evil (E and G are close enough in alphabet)?

But if there is no typo, then maybe a Half-Fiend (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a) savage progression with (Half)-Fiendish Variety (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) rules, which are allow to fine-tune common Half-Fiend template?
Among the fiends on "R" we have Rel (Dungeon #112), Reth Dekala (Tome of Battle), Rhyxali, The Demon Princess of Shadow (Book of Vile Darkness WE (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20030117a)), Rukarazyll (Monster Manual II), and Rutterkin (Fiendish Codex I)

It probably isn't Reth Dekala as that would more probably be written 'HRD', if condensed into an acronym at all, and I don't know that they really count as fiends, either.

Guys, read my post.

ShurikVch
2017-07-16, 06:00 PM
and I don't know that they really count as fiends, either.Come on!
Usually LE Medium outsider (evil, extraplanar, lawful)Outsider which is Evil in both alignment and subtype (usually) - isn't it a textbook definition of Fiend?
Also,
The reth dekala are natives of Thuldanin, second layer of the Infernal Battlefield of Acheron.Evil-aligned plane

Guys, read my post.Ah, I'm see - Smite to Song doesn't allow anything worse than True Neutral
Still doesn't exclude copypasta error of "Smite Good" instead "Smite Evil" (I mean - unless it's written by hand)

But even if there is no error, please, note: evilness of Half-Fiends is merely a guideline, not a set-in-stone requirement
Also, I'm so fixed on Half-Fiend template, because it's about the only possible way to get Smite Good without being Evil

The only other way I'm aware of is a combination of neutral cleric of a neutral deity with Rebuke Undead and UA Cleric variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#cleric) (or Eberron's "Faith trumps alignment" rules variant).
But Milil is Good (not Neutral), and from Faerūn (not Eberron), so this second method is unusable in your case

Another possible decoding of "HR" is Harmonium Peacekeeper, but it gives Smite Chaos, not Smite Good

P.S. What's about the Race/Templates?

Buufreak
2017-07-16, 07:49 PM
I was thinking maybe Half-Rakshasa could be it, but they don't have any resistances. They do have the LA +3, though, but did have dr 5/magic and pierce. They also have "often evil" for alignment, so not locked into it. Oh well, was worth a thought.

Zombulian
2017-07-16, 10:21 PM
No my main point is that all your guesses, while imaginative, are all things that I've never even considered. I am, however, a fan of using Bloodlines, and Hellreaver is one of my favorite PrC's. Thus, Occam's Razor leads me to believe that the HR stands for Hellreaver and the Major Demon Bloodline is to blame for the resistances as well as the Smite Good regardless of the character's alignment (which is LG, and the race is Silverbrow Human, oh and yes, the sheet is handwritten).