PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Spring Attack/Bounding Assault/Rabid Blitz and extra Standard Actions

ChaosSpiral
2017-07-14, 01:40 AM
Hello.... So Here is another rules question, Lets say you have a Belt of battle with its three charges and the feat Rapid Blitz which allows you to designate up to 3 targets with your Spring attack feat and make three attacks..... if you popped a belt of battle (Or had cast haste and had the perpetual options class feature of Swiftblade or anything that gives more standard actions in a turn) does that give you 2 instances of Rapid blitz? Allowing you to hit someone 6 times while moving? I ask cause I think the consensus is Spring attack is a standard action used in the middle of a move action....

Thank you for answering these questions.... I'm in a High level High power campaign with a DM buddy of mine and when I asked this question, he was not sure either.

OldTrees1
2017-07-14, 02:17 AM
Yes. Spring Attack refers to the Attack Action which is the Standard Action called the Attack Action.

Sidenote: Spring Attack, Bounding Assault, and Rapid Blitz are all rather consistent on their wording. You must move at least 5ft before and after each attack for you to benefit from the move splitting benefit of Spring Attack.

ChaosSpiral
2017-07-14, 02:40 AM
Okay so you would get two instances of rapid blitz/bounding assault/spring attack... that's neat. Though I'm not seeing where you have to move 5 ft between each attack.... I'm only seeing where you have to move at least 5 feet at the beginning and at the end because of spring attack..... am I missing an errata or such turning those feats into something akin to the Dervish class ability?

OldTrees1
2017-07-14, 04:38 AM
Okay so you would get two instances of rapid blitz/bounding assault/spring attack... that's neat. Though I'm not seeing where you have to move 5 ft between each attack.... I'm only seeing where you have to move at least 5 feet at the beginning and at the end because of spring attack..... am I missing an errata or such turning those feats into something akin to the Dervish class ability?

The 2nd paragraph of the Spring Attack feat requires 5ft of movement before and after the Spring Attack (not before and after each of the extra attacks from rapid blitz). So 5ft, Spring Attack, 5ft, activate Belt of Battle, Spring Attack, 5ft is valid.

Darrin
2017-07-14, 05:49 AM
I ask cause I think the consensus is Spring attack is a standard action used in the middle of a move action....

That's the consensus. There's a little bit of a loophole in that Spring Attack specifies an "attack action", but this is not defined clearly by the rules. There are two attack actions that we know about for sure: standard action attack, and full-round attack. If you manage to get yourself an extra move action (via hustle is the usual method), then you could move + full attack + finish moving.

If you wanted to use Spring Attack *twice* in a round, you'd have to find some way to get an extra move action and a standard action in the same turn. That's usually pretty difficult to pull off for a melee-based character.