PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Crit Build

PinstripedHart
2017-07-14, 06:50 AM
I've been toying with the idea of making a crit build for a while, but I like doing things differently than the norm, I've seen the optimized crit build as being a combination of Champion and Barbarian, but I'd rather do something else, even if it's not optimized.

The idea i had was 2 lvls of Trickster Cleric to get the channel divinity illusion for the advantage it provides if you're next to it, then just go full Champion, also grab the mounted combatant feat, and wield a great axe as a half orc. I know this idea isn't optimal, I'm just wondering if the 2 lvl dip into cleric is too much sacrifice for what I get out of it. If so, do you have any less expensive ideas that will provide an easy way to get advantage on attack rolls?

Magic Initiate to get find familiar was another option but the help action only gives advantage on the first attack if I remember correctly, and I have to wait a while before getting mounted combatant...

PeteNutButter
2017-07-14, 08:39 AM
Depending on the campaign, mounted combatant can be almost permanent advantage on attacks. I don't think the cleric dip is worth it, since it takes your action and is only 1/short rest. Barbarian's Reckless attack is on when you need it. Kobolds give fairly steady advantage to hit and can use lances while mounted for the same damage die (but w a str hit). There are loads of spells that give advantage by disabling enemies.

Sadly you'll find that the crit aspect of your build will only add about 1 DPR despite all your investment into it. (None of that makes it not fun to roll 3d12 all day for damage.) Further sadness, until champion level 15, you actually average more damage with a greatsword than a greataxe, even accounting for crits. The best way to increase crit build damage is more dice, like a flame tongue sword.

Seruvius
2017-07-14, 09:44 AM
Fun little crit build i went with a while ago: Half orc, champion 3+, bear totem barbarian 2+ (in my case it was champ3, bear5), great weapon master, great weapon fighter and of course a great axe. Recklessly attacking with a crit range of 19-20 gives you a 19% chance on any single attack to crit, the advantage and crit fishing also more than makes up for the -5 to hit so great weapon away, bearbarian tankyness makes up for enemies having advantage. with base build you are getting 3d12 +12+str, re-rolling 1's and 2's on a crit. crits also give you a bonus action attack and action surging obv gives you a hole extra attack action. When i ran it my level 8 char nearly solo'd a hydra in a single round with 4/5 attacks hitting 1 of which was a crit for somewhere just north of 100 damage. The character was pretty 1 dimensional but was fun to mess around with and RP-d it as having been trained by sir robilar. let enemy weapon get stuck in you then chop away.

Innocent_bystan
2017-07-14, 10:28 AM
If you're building for crits, take a look at Rogue. All those sneak attack dice are doubled on a crit.

I build the following for a level 12 one shot. Fighter 5/ Rogue 7. Strength focused, expertise in Athletics and Shield Master. Easy advantage, Champion for expanded crit range and 4d6 sneak attack dice. Those crits really hurt.
Shield Master is optional, you can also use the first of your 2 attacks to shove. And use the two weapon fighting if you need an extra attack. Add Sentinel for extra off-turn fun.

Specter
2017-07-14, 10:44 AM
Champion 3/Paladin 2 (smites)/Barbarian X with Mounted Combatant. Crits are only as fun as the dice you add to it.

Khrysaes
2017-07-14, 10:48 AM
Half orc for bigger crits. If UA is allowed, Elf or Half Elf for more consistant Crits as there is a Feat For Races called Elven accuracy, which gives you 3 dice instead of 2 for advantage. Also in the same UA is Orcish Fury, It lets you roll additional weapon dice. so, even bigger crits.

I would suggest either 3 fighter/x Barbarian, or 6-8 Fighter/14-12 Rogue. 8/12 gets the same number of ASI as a pure Fighter. Strength based, Take some of the Orc/Elf Feat, Shield Mastery, Lucky, Savage Attacker.

Naanomi
2017-07-14, 11:16 AM
Half-Orc Assassin 3/Barbarian 17... use those Assassin auto-crits and go to town with your Great Axe 5d12 a swing (and three swings with the near-guaranteed GWM trigger) at level 20. Scouting ahead of your party is a lot safer when you are a raging Barbarian after you get caught.

Finger6842
2017-07-14, 09:59 PM
Half-Orc Assassin 3/Barbarian 17... use those Assassin auto-crits and go to town with your Great Axe 5d12 a swing (and three swings with the near-guaranteed GWM trigger) at level 20. Scouting ahead of your party is a lot safer when you are a raging Barbarian after you get caught.

And have the party Bard or Wizard give you haste plus flanking / help (familiar) actions for advantage. More hits equal more crits. Thematically this sounds like great fun to RP as well.

Naanomi
2017-07-14, 10:13 PM
And have the party Bard or Wizard give you haste plus flanking / help (familiar) actions for advantage. More hits equal more crits. Thematically this sounds like great fun to RP as well.
Just reckless attack works fine for advantage; but yes Haste would be greatly appreciated. It was a very fun character to play, but I didn't get high enough level for the huge damage payoffs (the character worked great in the meantime though)

Zardnaar
2017-07-14, 10:40 PM
Shield master knocking stuff prone for advantage works as well. Champion/ Rogue with expertise in athletics.

PinstripedHart
2017-07-16, 08:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your input, after looking closer at the barbarian class I realize my folly in trying to make a crit build while avoiding barbarian. I really like this idea now,

Champion 3/Paladin 2 (smites)/Barbarian X with Mounted Combatant. Crits are only as fun as the dice you add to it.

but I wonder if the 2 lvl dip is worth it for the smites, it's hella powerful and would make for some crazy dmg on crits but it's only 2 per long rest... I wonder if doing 3 fighter/x barb and taking magic initiate to get hex wouldn't be a better option, less dmg but more constant, so long as I don't fail the con save when I inevitably get hit. Wouldn't be able to use it with rage but i could just start raging after I lose it... idk, thoughts?

Kane0
2017-07-16, 08:45 PM
I played a one shot as an Elven Champion Fighter 12 / Barbarian 2 using the UA Elven Accuracy feat, worked a treat with on average at least one crit per round. I opted to go with dual wielding instead of great weapon fighting for the flavor but it all works well.

Khrysaes
2017-07-17, 02:36 AM
Thanks everyone for your input, after looking closer at the barbarian class I realize my folly in trying to make a crit build while avoiding barbarian. I really like this idea now,

but I wonder if the 2 lvl dip is worth it for the smites, it's hella powerful and would make for some crazy dmg on crits but it's only 2 per long rest... I wonder if doing 3 fighter/x barb and taking magic initiate to get hex wouldn't be a better option, less dmg but more constant, so long as I don't fail the con save when I inevitably get hit. Wouldn't be able to use it with rage but i could just start raging after I lose it... idk, thoughts?

3 Fighter/x Barb is comepletely Valid.

The Paladin was for the bit of versatility, and smites when you do crit to deal more damage.

You could add 3 rogue instead of Paladin, getting the dice increase via Sneak attack, which is more consistent than smites, and either the guarenteed crits of assassin, for some first turn hits, or the mobility of Swashbuckler or Thief. Versatility with AT will be limited. You also get Cunning Action, which is of course an amazing thing to have, and expertise athletics to go with your advantage from raging. This will make shield mastery even better.

The downside being it taking longer to get farther into barbarian, and whatever barbarian gets between 14-17.

As for Magic Initiate for hex, if you want hex, and have the Charisma, a multiclass of Warlock may be better, because by RAW the MI hex will be once per long rest, while one level of Warlock will make it once per Short rest. It really depends on how often you rest, your stats, and willingness to multiclass. If for example though, you have the charisma, and in your build are at 3 fighter/16 barbarian and deciding between fighter 4 and barbarian 17, for a 20 level build, then in the long term that Warlock 1 would be better than fighter 4 and taking magic initiate. It may not be better than barbarian 17.

Lombra
2017-07-17, 04:44 AM
Actually straight champion is just better depending on the level that you plan to reach. If you habe another frontliner in the party barbarian isn't worth it for the sheer advantage. Great weapon fighting style + great weapon master, half orc with greataxe, and position yourself well, you are gonna be very consistent.

Azgeroth
2017-07-17, 05:24 AM
if you dont want total optimisation, a build ive toyed with playing is half orc champ, grappler feat.
run in, grab em, advantage!

you dont get the d12, which is a shame.. but i like the idea of running in grabbing hold of a person and just smashing them to pieces.. hehe...

also take the dueling fighting style, maybe tavern brawler, use some obtuse weapon, like a ladle or big candle stick holder (1handed) (so you get bonus action grapple checks on every attack)

or, use a net to restrain, that will give you advantage, stealth can give you advantage, and doesn't cost you too much (provided you have the opportunity to be hidden before the encounter starts)

fun times ahead..