PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Emperor's New Clothes - Robe Edition

Jane_Smith
2017-07-14, 12:55 PM
After having made so many custom magic items in the past, both low level and high level, and being the most familiar with the item creation rules at our table, my DM asked me to make a wishlist of sorts of custom items me or the other players might want to find, buy, or make as the game goes on. So i am throwing this together as a "man my sorceress would love this at level 15-20" item and would like other peoples opinions if I got the the cost/effects about right. I mostly worked with just assumptions on trying to figure out the right price on some of the effects. x.x If anyone is around that is more familiar with making items then me, I would seriously love feedback.

Robes of Power

Price: 280,000 gp
Slot: Body
Caster Level: 20th
Aura: Strong varied
Weight: 1 lb.

These legendary elegant, dark black and purple robes are decorated with gold stitching suggesting a particular family tree. When a sorcerer from that family's bloodline dons this robe, the stitching pulls itself apart and reweaves to update the pattern for that individual, even changing color and adding a crest if that family line has a specific crest the wearer knows of.

While worn, the robe gives additional powers as follows.

~ +8 Armor Bonus to Armor Class.
~ Spell Resistance 25.
~ +5 resistance bonus on all saving throws.
~ +2 enchantment bonus on caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance.
~ Can recall and cast any arcane spell (including metamagic effects applied to it, if any) up to 6th level that the wearer had previously cast that day up to three times a day.
~ Treats the wearers sorcerer level as 6 higher than normal for the purpose of determining what bloodline powers she can use and their effects.
~ The wearer can add the effects of her 1st-level bloodline power to any spell she casts. Any target of the spell can be affected by that bloodline power.
~ The wearer can expend spell slots to gain temporary hit points equal to five times the level of the spell level expended for up to 1 minute as an immediate action. This ability can be used as many times per day as the wearer desires, so long as they have the spell slots to fuel it.

CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS

Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, wish.
Cost to Create: 140,000 gp, 140 days.

ORIGINAL ITEMS & PERSONAL NOTES

I felt like the normal Robes of the Archmage are, honestly, lacking. For one, they have an alignment restriction on a class that normally gives no ****s about morality, gods, religion, angels or demons. Who cares about alignment when your a living boomstick of raw magical power? PFFT. Ontop of that, they are more expensive then bracers of armor +8 and don't stack with them, or a cloak of resistance +5, etc, so their is always better options in other slots to get the same benefits. And lets face it, robe of arcane heritage and robe of sorcery are the most original/interesting magic items that any edition of D&D/pathfinder has ever popped out for the class - I want to keep those powers alive in a high end item for high level gameplay for sorcerers. Instead of an alignment restriction: I made it restricted in use based on the only thing that makes sense for a sorcerer - lienage. These robes are made to be passed down the family line by royal families of sorcerer kings and queens and the like after all. Which means they must be custom made with Craft Wondrous Item and a long period of downtime and investment, or a gift from the dm to a sorcerer character with a powerful ancestor, etc.

Magic Item Effect 1: 200,000 gp (vest of the archmage) - 30,000 gp (nerf: changed healing to temporary hp with short duration, changed to immediate action) - 30,000 gp (nerf: tier 6 cap on spell recall power) + 30,000 gp (buff: added spell resistance 25)
Refrence: http://scottsepicgames.forumcommunity.net/?t=45916040
Total Cost of Effect: 170,000 Gp

Magic Item Effect 2: 5,000 gp (sorcerer's robe) + 20,000 gp (upgrade: at will/all targets, asuming x5 the base cost of a 3/day use item is enough to cover making it at-will)
Refrence: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/robe-sorcerer-s/
Total Cost of Effect: 25,000 Gp

Magic Item Effect 3: 16,000 gp (robe of arcane Heritage) + 16,000 gp (upgrade: +50% effect)
Refrence: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/robe-of-arcane-heritage/
Total Cost of Effect: 32,000 Gp

Extra: 85,000 gp (combination fee: 50% of highest value item)

Total Cost: 312,000 Gp

Restrictions/Curses/Limitation Cost Reductions;
-15,600 gp (minor curse: -5% total cost - only works for specific family bloodline]
-15,600 gp (minor curse: -5% total cost - only works for Sorcerers]

Final Total Cost: 280,800 Gp

-800 gp because I want a nice looking flat number for ease of crafting time and to appease my ocd! -tableflip

FINAL FINAL TOTAL COST: 280,000 Gp