PDA

View Full Version : OotA Character advancement, Insight wanted (minor spoilers)

Clone
2017-07-14, 03:46 PM
Hey all.
A while ago I posted about an Out of the Abyss campaign starting up where the three PCs would be spellcasters. We began it the other day and I rolled pretty damn well, allowing me to play a Stone Sorcerer tank going S&B.
Stats, as a Half Elf, resulted in:
18/10/18/14/14/17

This let me rock decent HP and 19 AC for a Sorc at the beginning, Quickening Blur and Subtle Spelling Shield when required. So far we've picked up a halfling NPC and cleared a particular tomb, grabbing what was inside for myself. Still rocking S&B with the loot and made our way to the Dark Lake, just crossing it and reaching level 4.

My question is what I take for my ASI and how to progress with the PC from this point. I'm looking at 3 possibilities at the moment, being:

Warcaster, +2 CON, or the UA feat Everybody's Friend (I've persuasion and deception profs and Alter Self)

To consider:
-I'm the tank with the hightest HP (not by too much though) and highest AC, focusing on defensive spells.
-The two other party members are a Fey Chainlock and Underdark Land druid,
-Best they've 15 and 14 AC respectively.
-The Warlock stays at range and EBs while the Druid has been Wildshaping into spiders and using Flaming Sphere

After this, how would you all progress? At level 4 I've 39 HP (got a 5 when rolling at level 4, took average the other levels) and my spell list currently is:
-Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure, Mold Earth + 1 extra
-Shield
-Alter Self, Blur, Scorching Ray (changed to do magical piercing for thematic reasons) and Suggestion.

The list isn't concrete, so advice is helpful. Also are any of the Paladin spells I got from being a Stone Sorcerer worth it? Any 3rd and 4th level spells worth considering in particular?

Thanks for any help guys!

NinaWu
2017-07-15, 12:19 AM
I'm only a novice, and I don't see too much going for you choosing warcaster as not too many of your listed spells are concentration. Personally, I see more value in the +2 CON over the other 2 options.

Again, just a novices opinion.