PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Tool

QuintonBeck
2017-07-14, 04:26 PM
Playgrounders, I come seeking opinions/ideas on how to create a character possessing the largest number of Tool Proficiencies possible, UA and published material all being legal. At the moment I'm inclined to think Artificer or Rogue with the Charlatan background but perhaps there are better options?

Basically, I want to make a character who shines when doing the mundane. Creating traps, cooking food for the party, making matching bandanas/patches, assessing structural integrity, etc. Obviously these things can often be glossed over but I think a character who made these things their bread and butter could be an interesting sort of support character in a party and offer a lot of potentially fun/funny scenarios.

Nettlekid
2017-07-14, 08:01 PM
Literally any class. On page 187 of the PHB under Downtime Activities it states that with 250 days of training and 1 gp/day you can become proficient with a tool. With enough time and enough gold you can gain proficiency with every single tool in the PHB, and every language too.

QuintonBeck
2017-07-14, 09:10 PM
Literally any class. On page 187 of the PHB under Downtime Activities it states that with 250 days of training and 1 gp/day you can become proficient with a tool. With enough time and enough gold you can gain proficiency with every single tool in the PHB, and every language too.

Perhaps I should add the qualifier "starting at level one." I've never played a D&D game where the action was sitting around for two years learning new proficiencies so while possible and rules legal it's not very plausible to employ.

Tanarii
2017-07-14, 09:16 PM
Thread title made me lol

Dwarf or Rock Gnome = 1 tool
Druid, Monk, Rogue = 1 tool
Charlatan, Criminal, Entertainer, Folk Hero, Sailor, Soldier, Urchin = 2 tools

Squibsallotl
2017-07-14, 09:20 PM
Half-Orc Bard with a mohawk, 8 Int, 8 Cha, and proficiency in Intimidate and the Kazoo...

But seriously, the obvious answer is Knowledge Cleric, who can gain proficiency in any tool (or skill) for 10mins once per short rest, from level 2.

Potato_Priest
2017-07-16, 01:58 PM
Hello Quintonbeck!

Rather than all the races other folks suggested I'd reccomend a variant human, who could take the skilled feat from level one, granting you 3 tools to every other races' one or two.

The class with the best tool proficiencies would depend on your level. Druid would probably be superior at level one, but over time the fighter will definitely catch up, as they get more feats than anyone else and can spend them all on more tool proficiencies.

Finger6842
2017-07-16, 02:40 PM
Half-Orc Bard with a mohawk, 8 Int, 8 Cha, and proficiency in Intimidate and the Kazoo...

But seriously, the obvious answer is Knowledge Cleric, who can gain proficiency in any tool (or skill) for 10mins once per short rest, from level 2.

This is wisdom.

QuintonBeck
2017-07-19, 12:59 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. They were helpful and this is what I came up with

Variant Human Artificer Level 1 Tool Proficiencies
Total Tool Proficiencies: 8
Thieves Tools (Artificer*):
(My Choice) (Artificer*):
(My Choice) (Artificer*):
(My Choice) (Variant Human: Skilled Feat):
Disguise Kit (Background: Charlatan):
Forgery Kit (Background: Charlatan):

*Artificer Tool Proficiency bonus doubles at 2nd Level

Now, these were the tools I picked for the (My Choice) proficiencies but commentary on what other tools to consider I welcome: Jeweler’s Tools*, Leatherworker’s Tools*, Cook’s Utensils, Land Vehicles, Herbalism Kit.

I was thinking a character could have easily been trained by a thieves guild in "recycling" stolen gems and the like into sellable jewelry to explain most of his proficienices with Land Vehicles, Cook's Utensils, and the Herbalism Kit being other things he's picked up from being on the job.

Tanarii
2017-07-19, 01:12 PM
Huh, look at that, Skilled lets you choose Tools. I mean, that makes sense, and I've probably read it a bunch of times, but for some reason I always just think of it as choosing skill proficiency.

Edit: If you want the most possible tools, choose Dwarf or Gnome race, then take Skilled at level 4 instead of your ASI.

Potato_Priest
2017-07-19, 01:29 PM
Edit: If you want the most possible tools, choose Dwarf or Gnome race, then take Skilled at level 4 instead of your ASI.

Doesn't taking the UA tool feats at level 4 as variant human get the same effect?

Tanarii
2017-07-19, 01:36 PM
Doesn't taking the UA tool feats at level 4 as variant human get the same effect?
If you say so. But yeah, I'd forgotten the OP had said UA was cool. :smallwink:

QuintonBeck
2017-07-20, 12:18 PM
Huh, look at that, Skilled lets you choose Tools. I mean, that makes sense, and I've probably read it a bunch of times, but for some reason I always just think of it as choosing skill proficiency.

A Gnome or Dwarf may end up being more thematically appropriate but I do like the front-loading of proficiencies in the Skilled Human version. Like you I hadn't realized Skilled allowed that but there it was explicitly written :smalltongue:

It's too bad those feats are kinda lackluster. Alchemist is neat but one maxed out healing potion a day isn't spectacularly useful and the short timer makes it even less reliable. Gourmand is fun looking but will only be relevant if the party has no magical Healer. Master of Disguise might be interesting if I lean heavily into the Charlatan role though.

I appreciate the help, PP.

robbie374
2017-07-20, 12:58 PM
Mystic 1 gives access to the Nomad discipline, which give two tool proficiencies that can change every long rest. Even better, it gives you Nomadic Mind, which lets you gain proficiency with any tool, skill, or language as a bonus action on every turn.