PDA

View Full Version : How would you emulate Puss n' boots

louisb
2007-08-07, 12:56 PM
How would you emulate Puss n' boots sad look or guilt trip form Schrek ?
Would it be 4 to 8 ranks in perform "sad look "

would it be a feat ? If a feat does exist what would it be called ?

blue_fenix
2007-08-07, 12:58 PM
Closest thing in the existing D&D mechanics would be a bluff check, the bluff being "I'm not dangerous or about to flip out and kill you."

Xefas
2007-08-07, 01:10 PM
Yes, it could be his way of feinting. Take Improved Feint, do a inconspicuous look as a move action, then sneak attack the Balor for 10d6 sneak attack damage!

An Anthropomorphic Cat Rogue doesn't sound like a bad idea, actually.

louisb
2007-08-07, 06:32 PM
Yes, it could be his way of feinting. Take Improved Feint, do a inconspicuous look as a move action, then sneak attack the Balor for 10d6 sneak attack damage!

An Anthropomorphic Cat Rogue doesn't sound like a bad idea, actually.

How would you use it as a defenive tactic like "dont hurt me "

Nocte
2007-08-07, 06:57 PM
Simple, maximize diplomacy.

"Don't hurt me"

Diplomacy check d20 + ranks + cha mod(Puss n' boots should have lots of charisma) + 9(Diplomacy synergies (from bluff, knowledge, and sense motive)+ (the feat that gives you +3 instead of +2 on synergies)+ skill focus diplomacy(+3).

You only need 35 to make an hostile character friendly. 45 as a full round action.

Take a look at:
Influencing NPC Attitudes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/diplomacy.htm)

ZeroNumerous
2007-08-07, 07:12 PM
Xefas: Why make it anthropomorphic? Just play an Awakened Cat. Gain all those nice size-bonuses and use a reach weapon.

Nocte
2007-08-07, 07:47 PM
An awakened cat, is quadruped and cannot wield weapons because a cat doesn't have thumbs.

Xefas
2007-08-07, 08:01 PM
An awakened cat, is quadruped and cannot wield weapons because a cat doesn't have thumbs.

Yup, that's why.

In addition, you could always give him Boots of Charming. Charm Person is only a 1st level spell, so (and I'll admit I'm not really experienced with making magic items, so I could be wrong) by using the rules here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm), I believe an item that can cast it at will would only be 2,000gp.

Also, you could throw on the factor "requires a skill to use", reducing the price to 1800gp for the user needing to have ranks in Perform (Adorable Eye Blink). The real bonus for doing this would be that its unlikely anyone but the wearer could use it, since that particular Perform skill is probably never used.

DanielLC
2007-08-08, 10:50 PM
Does anyone know the original story of the puss in boots? It managed to kill an ogre by convincing it to show its power by polymorphing into a mouse. It also shows good bluff and diplomacy skills and high intelligence elsewhere in the story, and intimidates a large group of people into saying they worked for the cat's owner. There's a Wikipedia article about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puss_in_Boots_%28fairy_tale%29

Koga
2007-08-08, 11:37 PM
As all things in life, it's best solved with gestalt.

Puss N' Boots is a rogue//swashbuckler with as said improved feint.

Shrek is an ogre barbarian//monk (screw alignment restrictions)

Donkey is a chaotic neutral bard//ranger

As you can see Shrek is low-magic for a gestalt game.

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-08, 11:42 PM
As all things in life, it's best solved with gestalt.

Puss N' Boots is a rogue//swashbuckler with as said improved feint.

Shrek is an ogre barbarian//monk (screw alignment restrictions)

Donkey is a chaotic neutral bard//ranger

As you can see Shrek is low-magic for a gestalt game.

Actually this a rather sane coming out of you Koga. Yeah, forget the stupid "must be Lawful" alignment restriction for monks, gestalt that with barbarian and make the character a Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral ogre with an Intelligence score around 12 or 12. That's Shrek for you.