PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Book

Ghostdreamer
2017-07-14, 06:34 PM
Hello all! I've been searching all over for an older D&D book (maybe 3.5? maybe AD&D? possibly pathfinder....don't think so though) and was hoping maybe someone has come across it and remembers the name!

I had thought it was manual of the planes but it doesn't look like it.

I only remember a specific portion of the book. It listed all the different types of terrain (plains, forest, dungeon, swamp, tundra, etc.) and then listed various alternate terrain ideas such as:

open field which is turned into a resonating crystal field that can't be cast in
or an area where meteors frequently fall
or a dark foreboding forest
or an ancient forest where the trees come to life
enchanted forest was another variation, but I don't remember what it did >.<

It listed all the rules associated with the terrains (such as the percentage chances of geysers going off in, or the chance of spellcasting shinanigans if casting in the crystal fields)

I know this sounds fairly generic, but it has a huge list of these alternate terrain features for creating different environments for the players (I was originally creating an planehopping campaign when I ran into the book).

I know it is an older book, and from when I remember of the formatting I -think- it was 3.5 based (althought it may not have been an official WoTC book). It MIGHT have been 3.0?

If anyone remembers anything, I would greatly greatly appreciate any direction towards this book. I've been looking for it for almost a year now with no luck!

Thank you so much for your time.

Mike Miller
2017-07-14, 07:22 PM
Planar Handbook?

Sagetim
2017-07-14, 11:29 PM
Off hand, the Planar Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide, Dungeon Master's Guide 2, and Complete Psionics are the places I would start looking for things like that. If I recall correctly, Complete Psionics has special locations listed in it that have to do with psionics in particular. I assume there was a magic equivalent.

Similarly, the 3.5 DMG (and maybe the second one as well) covered some basics about planar traits in at least one of it's sections.

You might want to crawl through the old 3.5 web articles that wizards put out as well, which still exist on the wizard's site, but may require a google search to get to. The only thing of those I've looked up recently was for the Mind's Eye articles, but I'm pretty sure the formatting on that site gave you a list of the other articles they did as well with links, so you might be able to find some locational things there (there was also the map a week article, which while it doesn't give you that information, does provide maps of various buildings that can be handy).

I bring up the web articles because your mention of crystal fields reminds me that Mind's Eye put out an article for the Demiplane of Ectoplasm at some point (and while that's not crystal related, there's a pretty strong crystal theme through 3.5's psionics).

Venger
2017-07-15, 12:56 AM
in addition to the other suggestions, was it either heroes of battle or miniatures handbook?

Ghostdreamer
2017-07-15, 08:01 PM
Just to update a bit --

for 3.5 :
Looked at the DMG, it has some mundane wilderness terrain that begins on page 86
Frostburn - Page 21
Sandstorm - Page 26
Stormwrack - Page 14

Planar Handbook doesn't really have anything.
Manual of the Planes - looks at a ton of specifics of the planes, and there are some parts that can be pulled out but nothing too specific
DMG2 doesn't have much.

Going to take much longer to search through the web articles, but I'm on it! Thanks for that suggestion.
Heroes of Battle didn't have anything but it was a great suggestion!

The formatting in sandstorm, stormwrack, and frostburn looked similar (where it lists the different terrain types). But neither of those books had the terrains that I remembered (such as crystal/dark/sentient forst, gyser bogs, etc.)

Really great suggestions so far! I feel one step closer than I was before.