PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF] More Simulacrum Shenanigans

Azoth
2017-07-14, 06:55 PM
So I was randomly going over some things in the Mythic section of the SRD when I noticed the Drakainia.

(http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/drakainia/)

More specifically I noticed this ability:

Birth Spawn (Ex)

As a full-round action, a drakainia can give birth to a spawn, which is a Large or smaller creature of her choice with a single random mutation. Each day she can produce any number of creatures whose combined total base CR does not exceed 3 + her Constitution modifier (usually 21).

So for a moment, let us assume that a Simulacrum of a Drakainia keeps this ability.

Let us also keep in mind that the CR of a PC race with class levels is equal to the number of class levels -1 (this is without any gear or WBL).

Now, the spell Simulacrum creates a duplicate creature specifically. Just one that has half the HD or class levels of the original. So a naked level 20 Wizard is a CR19 creature. A naked Simulacrum of a level 20 Wizard is a level 10 Wizard or a CR9 creature.

A Simulacrum is always under the complete control of its creator. So it stands to reason that a naturally "birthed" Simulacrum is under the complete control of its "mother". Now, the mother is a Simulacrum created by our intrepid Wizard, so the spawned Simulacrum of said Drakainia Simulacrum are in an indirect fashion directly controlled by our Wizard.

So, even if we don't jump any hoops to raise the Drakainia's Constitution Modifier to further increase the total CR of spawn that can be created in a day, a level 20 Wizard can harvest 2 Simulacra of himself a day.

If we push this to the earliest level possible with a Caster's own spell slots (13), he could have 4 simulacra of himself made daily.

Of course this entire thought process hinges on multiple favorable rulings from a GM.

1) Drakainia exist and as CR25/MR10 creatures it is entirely possible that they do not.

2) A Simulacrum of a Drakainia keeps its Birth Spawn Ability. (DM's prerogative on what monster abilities are deemed "appropriate" for a Simulacra to have.)

3) Your DM ruling that a Simulacrum of yourself is a valid spawn.

4) Your DM didn't hurl a CRB at your head for trying to learn Simulacrum as a spell, or ban it outright.

Hackulator
2017-07-14, 07:03 PM
Even if they exist, the likelihood that you know about them is questionable.

It's also sort of completely up to the DM what it means that it has special abilities appropriate for its reduced HD.

Azoth
2017-07-14, 07:10 PM
Knowing about them is a single Knowledge check away.

For particularly rare monsters, such as the tarrasque, the DC of this check equals 15 + the monster’s CR or more.

So a DC40+ Knowledge Dungeioneering check let's you know if a Drakainia exists in your game world. Not necessarily trivial, but far from impossible.

I also, admitted that the entire thought requires your DM to agree that a Drakainia keeps that ability as a Simulacrum.

Hackulator
2017-07-14, 07:11 PM
Knowing about them is a single Knowledge check away.

So a DC40 Knowledge Dungeioneering check let's you know if a Drakainia exists in your game world. Not necessarily trivial, but far from impossible.

I also, admitted that the entire thought requires your DM to agree that a Drakainia keeps that ability as a Simulacrum.

don't ignore the "or more" part....I would probably buff that DC by at least 10 for the Mythic rank

Crake
2017-07-14, 07:12 PM
I see no reason to believe that the birthed creature is a simulacrum, but at the same time I see no reason to believe that you could give birth to a creature with class levels. "A 10th level wizard" is not a creature, "a human" is. You could obviously circumvent this by simply giving birth to a creature with innate spellcasting.

Azoth
2017-07-14, 07:24 PM
The way you get a spawned Simulacrum is to command it expressly to spawn a Simulacrum of you. You are also not having it directly spawn a "level 10 Wizard". The fact that it is a level 10 Wizard is the byproduct of it being a Simulacrum of yourself.

Now if you want to argue that a Simulacrum is not a creature of Large Size of smaller. I am all ears.

*EDIT: To avoid double post!*

I can see how one could argue against or for the reading that a Simulacrum is a valid target for this. Went back and reread Simulacrum. I won't say yet, that the entire idea is dead in the water, but that I can see where some (most) would rule against it.