PDA

View Full Version : The God Emperor Shao’Garr[NPC]

Lord Vukodlak
2017-07-14, 07:44 PM
One of the staples of my long running campaign setting going all the way back to 3.0 was The Garr Empire it was the equivalent to empires like Netheril, The Holy Empire of Istar or Rome in real life. I noticed pretty much every setting had the tales of the Ancient Empires whose size and influence dwarfed any of the modern kingdoms. So I decided to build a campaign setting during the height of one such Empire rather then centuries after its fall. The God Emperor Shao’Garr founded the Garr Empire. Though before he actually finished his conquest and officially founded the Empire he was simply called "The Shao'Garr". I made stats for him in every advance of the d20 edition, they were always technically unnecessary as The God Emperor was asleep in his Tomb. After ruling The Empire for three centuries Shao'Garr entered into a long sleep and the Empire he built endured in his abstinence. The only way the PC's would have faced him was if they decided to break into his Tomb and intentionally antagonize him. So before hand it was always more theory crafting then practical.

But for my 5th Edition Campaign I've moved the year backwards rather then forwards. It’s set in a time of civil war and strife before Shao'Garr conquered the western lands. So he'll be out there conquering the land while the party deals with bandits, monsters and feuding nobles in a land that’s endured three centuries of civil war.

I do not intend to send him at the party at any point for the party to fight him they’ll have to attack him personally or attack his forces enough that he believes they constitute a threat. There maybe adventures that involves him but indirectly. I have plans for one adventure where the party is tasked by the City of Meridian to find Shao’Garr’s missing emissaries who were there to negotiate the terms of the City-State’s surrender.
So without further delay here are his stats.

It is said that the God Emperor fell to earth on a shooting star. The truth is slightly more literal. Shao’Garr was a Spell Jammer who traveled the stars and the void between worlds. His ship was destroyed in orbit and the future God Emperor fell to earth.
Standing seven feet tall with golden eyes and stark white hair.

The God Emperor Shao’Garr
Medium Humanoid(Titan), Lawful
Armor Class: 22
Hit Points: 400(30d8+264)
Speed: 50ft.
Str 26 (+8) Dex 22 (+6) Con 26 (+8) Int 20 (+5) Wis 20 (+5) Cha 30 (+10)
Proficiency Bonus: +9
Saving Throws: Str, +17, Con+17, Int+14, Wis, +14
Skills: Athletics +15, Acrobatics, +15, Perception +14, Arcana +14, Insight, +12, Persuasion +18,
Damage Resistances: radiant;
Damage Immunities: necrotic, poison, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Condition Immunities: charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned, paralyzed
Senses: truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 22
Languages: All
Challenge Rating: 30
Divine Influence 3/day: Shao’Garr as a reaction, can force any creature(other then himself) he can see to reroll any attack roll, saving throw, or ability check. For better or worse the creature takes the results of the new roll.
Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Shao’Garr fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.
Magic Weapons. The Shao’Garr's unarmed attacks are magical and deal an extra 6d8 radiant damage.
Actions
Multiattack. Shao’Garr makes three unarmed attacks
Fist of Shao’Garr: Unarmed Attack: +17 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (2d6+8) bludgeoning damage plus 27 (6d8) radiant damage.
Spell Casting: Shoa’Garr casts and prepares spells as a 20th level wizard; the DC is intelligence based DC 19.
Cantrips Known: Minor Illusion, Message, Blade Ward, Chill Touch and Prestidigitation
Spell Slots:4/3/3/3/3/2/2/1/1
Spell Level:1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9
Typical Spells Prepared
9th Level: Time Stop, Foresight(1 slot)
8th Level: Maze, (1 Slot)
7th Level: Teleport, Forcecage, Delayed Blast Fireball(2 Slots)
6th Level: Disintegrate, Globe of Invulnerability, Chain Lightning(2 Slots)
5th Level: Scrying, Wall of Force, Animate Objects(3 Slots)
4th Level: Black Tentacles, Fire Shield, Greater Invisibility (3 Slots)
3rd Level: Blink, Counterspell, Fly, Fireball (3 Slots)
2nd Level: Mirror Image, Invisibility, Hold Person (3 Slots)
1st Level: Shield, Absorb Elements, Magic Missile (4 Slots)
Supreme Concentration Shao’Garr can concentrate on two spells at once, however this is taxing and doing so reduces his available legendary actions per turn to 2 while its active.

Legendary Actions
Shoa’Garr can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. Shao’Garr regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Additionally no legendary action can be used more then once per turn.

Cast a spell: Shao’Garr can cast a spell of 3rd level or lower with casting time of one action or less taken from its prepared list as normal.

Divine Radiance: Shao’Garr bolsters all non-hostile creatures within 120ft of him until the end of his next turn. Bolstered creatures can’t be charmed or frightened and they gain advantage on ability checks and saving throws until the end of Shao’Garr’s next turn. Creatures hostile to Shao'Garr instead become frightened for one round will save DC 18 to negate.

Flash Step: Shao’Garr surrounds himself in silvery mists before teleporting up to 30 feet away to an unoccupied space that he can see. If this puts him adjacent to an opponent he can make one melee attack against them. If the opponent has not personally witnessed Flash Step before they are considered surprised.

Originally Supreme Concentration was on his list of legendary actions but I decided it was simpler if concentrating on two spells at once simply reduced the number of legendary actions he has a turn.
For his base stats I looked to the Solar (Hence the radiant damage). I figured The Solar was a good place to start for a divine godlike humanoid being. Then started added his spell casting related abilities as every incarnation was a Gish. Earlier incarnations used the spell thunder lance as his primary weapon, but for this new edition I decided the God Emperor should beat things down with his fists.

The spell selection was indented to strike a balance between offensive, defensive and battlefield control.

I gave him the subtype of Titan despite being medium sized to give some symbolism of his power. Celestial and Fiend both have alignment connotations Shao’Garr is Lawful Neutral, so I’m left with just Humanoid for his type. So add the Titan tag conveys the power he embodies.

So is this guy genuinely worth a CR of 30.