PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Working on a Race

Ursus Spelaeus
2017-07-14, 09:45 PM
I have a nebulous, half-formed idea for a race.

Here's the premise:
They really hate bugs. I mean, they really, really hate bugs.
But in their subterranean environment, they are forced to depend on bugs for their livelihood.
So... they cope with their disgust by making a game out of it! They really love crunching, burning, stomping, biting, and chomping down bugs!

It's a LA +0 race.
They are small.
They get a bonus to attack vermin.
They get a bonus to Fortitude saves against poison, and to avoid being nauseated.

...and that's where I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

nonsi
2017-07-15, 02:27 AM
In your imagination, what do members of this race look like?

Ursus Spelaeus
2017-07-15, 02:40 AM
In your imagination, what do members of this race look like?

Child-sized. Wide, luminous eyes. Pronounced canines. Green-blue skin. Dressed in iridescent chitin.

rferries
2017-07-15, 03:10 AM
Child-sized. Wide, luminous eyes. Pronounced canines. Green-blue skin. Dressed in iridescent chitin.

I get the impression that members of this race are very much like vermin themselves, in spite of their hatred of arthropods. You are what you eat, I guess! :D

Here are some suggestions:

Ability score bonus: +2 Con (hardy enough to withstand disgusting meals, swarm distraction, and vermin venom, as you've already noted), or +2 Dex (Small sized and nimble), or +2 Wis (like standard Vermin)

Ability score penalty: -2 Charisma (uncharismatic as standard vermin), or -2 Int (stupid as standard vermin), or -2 Str (due to Small stature)

Bug-Eyed: Bonus on Spot and/or Search checks

Darkvision 60 ft (like standard vermin)

Bite attack (pronounced canines)

Natural Armor +1 (inherent chitin? or they just wear it?)

Favoured Enemy (Vermin) or racial bonuses to attacks and AC against vermin (as a dwarf against giants)

Damage reduction vs swarm attacks, and/or swarms aren't immune to their weapon damage?

Scent?

It's possible I misread the intent of your post - did you want racial abilities, or background lore?

Ursus Spelaeus
2017-07-15, 03:41 AM
It's possible I misread the intent of your post - did you want racial abilities, or background lore?

Both!

I imagined that the chitin would be worn. These little guys hunt the larger specimens of arthropod for their chitins. Chitiners then treat and lacquer the shells, and craft them into armor!
The canines were intended as more of an aesthetic detail.

Great suggestions, by the way.

OK, so how about...

Abilities: +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma
Size: Small
Speed: 20'
Perception: Darkvision 60', Scent
Weapon Familiarity: These guys treat the swatter and the crab-cracker as martial weapons instead of exotic weapons.
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against creatures of the vermin type.
+4 dodge bonus to AC against creatures of the vermin type.
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, and to avoid becoming nauseated.
+2 racial bonus on Spot checks
+2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to vermin body parts and their extracts

Swatter
Exotic two-handed melee weapon
Dmg (s) 1d8
Dmg (m) 1d10
Critical: x2
Type: Bludgeoning
The swatter deals full damage against swarm creatures.

...Now I just need to come up with a name...

Aniikinis
2017-08-08, 07:55 AM
...Now I just need to come up with a name...

How about Little Buggers? But to be serious, how about Entomas? From the term entomophobia.