PDA

View Full Version : Optimization High Elf Dex EK ASI progression help

The Shadowdove
2017-07-15, 09:08 AM
Hello forum-lurkers,

I am planning out my next Adventurer's league character and decided on a Dex Eldritch Knight.

I already have it on paper. However, I'm struggling with determining when to take a feat or bump a stat.

Is it more important to take a feat like warcaster, mobile, sentinel, etc. At 4 or 6, or to start maxing Dexterity first ?

My goal is to max dex by 12. Then max intelligence.

So I have two ASI that I can allocate to feats.

In short, should I raise Dex from 16 at levels 4 & 6, or grab a feat instead?

Thanks in Advance,

Dove

Biggstick
2017-07-15, 10:17 AM
Are you utilizing SCAG as your +1? If so, I'd look to grab a pair of Wizard levels and grab the Bladesinger or Divination school. This gets a spellbook for more spells/rituals available, a few more cantrips, and ups your spell caster level pretty dramatically with just 2 levels.

As for your question, I'd simply bump Dexterity at Rogue 4 and Rogue 8. It's boring, but it's the god stat. Everything you plan to do is based off the stat, and you should max it out asap. Afterwards, consider Lucky, Alert, Resilient Con, etc.

Citan
2017-07-15, 10:50 AM
Are you utilizing SCAG as your +1? If so, I'd look to grab a pair of Wizard levels and grab the Bladesinger or Divination school. This gets a spellbook for more spells/rituals available, a few more cantrips, and ups your spell caster level pretty dramatically with just 2 levels.

As for your question, I'd simply bump Dexterity at Rogue 4 and Rogue 8. It's boring, but it's the god stat. Everything you plan to do is based off the stat, and you should max it out asap. Afterwards, consider Lucky, Alert, Resilient Con, etc.
Congrats for being totally out of place. XD
OP is talking about an Eldricht Knight here.
Was very fun though

Hello forum-lurkers,

I am planning out my next Adventurer's league character and decided on a Dex Eldritch Knight.

I already have it on paper. However, I'm struggling with determining when to take a feat or bump a stat.

Is it more important to take a feat like warcaster, mobile, sentinel, etc. At 4 or 6, or to start maxing Dexterity first ?

Thanks in Advance,

Dove
Depends on whether you use SCAG cantrips. If so, taking Warcaster at level 6 is advised.
Otherwise take Sentinel at 6.

Technically you *could* get by with only 16 until level 8, but I see no good enough reason to do so enough you aimed for a specific trick requiring two feats.

Otherwise, bump DEX at 4, grab a feat at 6. Then either grab a feat at 8 (because you feel it's really useful) then max DEX at 12 or just directly max DEX.

If you use weapon cantrips, I'd personnally go: +DEX, Warcaster, Sentinel, +DEX.
>> Warcaster is grabbed just after weapon cantrips becoming much better than just a weapon attack. Sentinel comes just after to increase the occurence of off-turn cantrips.
Beware though that by RAW you wouldn't get the "0 speed" rider.

If you use ranged weapon attacks: +DEX, Sharpshooter, +DEX, Resilient: Wisdom.
>> Increasing your accuracy is top priority here, and Sharpshooter helps much in doing so.

If you use melee weapon attacks: +DEX, Mobile, Sentinel, +DEX.
>> You are stacking several weapon attacks (TWF?) so Mobile helps you get in range and disengage safely. Sentinel works great here to further increase your number of attacks and provide control rider.

Honestly though, that is theorycraft advice based on personal preferences. If for example you have a caster with Bless in your party, you could safely wait for level 6 for the first DEX bump, and 12 or even 14 for the second bump.
If you want some versatility and intend to take Ritual Caster feat, taking it at most at level 6 is recommended so you have ample time and chances to learn and use its.
If you plan on specializing against casters, grabbing Mage Slayer instead of (or rather, before) the 2nd DEX bump is certainly worth it.
Etc...

Specter
2017-07-15, 11:19 AM
I'm playing one exactly like yours currently.

Warcaster is a priority for casting Shield while wearing a shield and making opportunity attacks with Booming Blade, which in my opinion makes you better at tanking than Sentinel. Advantage on concentration is icing on the cake.

After that, you can use the ASIs from levels 6 and 8 to max DEX, and use the others on feats. Only boost INT if you feel there are no more feats you want.

mcsillas
2017-07-15, 11:57 AM
Hello forum-lurkers,

Thanks in Advance,

Dove

I'd recommend War Caster at 4th level. Keep in mind that one of your best spells is Shield which requires somatic components. If you have a weapon and shield equipped, you can't cast Shield without War Caster since Shield takes a reaction to cast. Also, you'll be in melee most of the time and it's nice to be able to cast a spell like Ray of Frost when an opportunity attack presents its self. You'll also have some spells that require concentration. If you consider your Con save modifier and advantage to concentration checks from War Caster, you'll rarely fail a concentration check.

Biggstick
2017-07-15, 12:22 PM
Congrats for being totally out of place. XD
OP is talking about an Eldricht Knight here.
Was very fun though

I feel dumb. >.>

Totally read the OP as AT. Maybe I just saw the High Elf and assumed AT. Oh well.

I'd still run a surprisingly similar set-up as to my initial suggestion, and grab +2 Dexterity as my first ASI on a Dexterity based Eldritch Knight. As a Fighter though, it really depends on what you want to focus on combat wise as to what feats you decide to pick up. Do you plan on being in melee all the time? Are you going to be using sword and board or two weapon fighting? What exactly do you want to emphasize while in melee?

While I really like Warcaster on my gish or Cleric characters, Eldritch Knights are well suited to not need it imo. Most DM's allow for the dropping of a weapon as a free action, and as an Eldritch Knight, you have most likely bonded with your weapon already. This means you can drop the weapon as a free action as part of the reaction casting of the Shield spell. As an EK, you can bonus action on your turn the weapon back to your hand and continue hacking away.

I've played with quite a few DM's and most of them are fine with me disarming myself to use my reaction to cast a spell. I'm not sure what DM's you'll be playing with though.

mcsillas
2017-07-15, 02:15 PM
While I really like Warcaster on my gish or Cleric characters, Eldritch Knights are well suited to not need it imo. Most DM's allow for the dropping of a weapon as a free action, and as an Eldritch Knight, you have most likely bonded with your weapon already. This means you can drop the weapon as a free action as part of the reaction casting of the Shield spell. As an EK, you can bonus action on your turn the weapon back to your hand and continue hacking away.

I've played with quite a few DM's and most of them are fine with me disarming myself to use my reaction to cast a spell. I'm not sure what DM's you'll be playing with though.

Those DM's are not playing according to RAW if they allow you to use a "free" action (aka Other Activity on your Turn) as a part of a reaction. At any rate, even if the DM is going against RAW and allowing you to do this, I still see quite a bit of value in War Caster for the EK beyond currently mentioned, particularly War Magic at 7th level. If you sheathe your weapon (free action), cast a cantrip (action), then use your bonus action to bring your weapon back to your hand, you won't have another bonus action to attack, making War Magic useless.

Relbin
2017-07-15, 08:13 PM
Hey! I am playing a similar build in AL.

Maxing out dexterity improves your armor class, to hit, damage, skills, initiative and saving throws. All of those will be relevant all the time in every session.

Most DMs are not that strict about components and if yours is not then warcaster is definitely not needed.

Realistically, even if your DM is strict, you get very few spell slots and it's not really worth spending a feat on getting +5 three rounds per day when you could get +2 all day from increasing dex and casting mage armor. Wait until level 8 to take warcaster.

Alternitively, I highly recommend multiclassing bladesinger which is a good substitute for warcaster, as you can just keep a hand free. Wizard spells will greatly improve your utility (e.g. Rituals) and you have pretty much everything you need from Eldritch Knight by 7th level, as War Magic is competitive with three attacks. You will also get high level spells faster and not have to be restricted in selection.

Citan
2017-07-16, 05:31 AM
Hey! I am playing a similar build in AL.

Maxing out dexterity improves your armor class, to hit, damage, skills, initiative and saving throws. All of those will be relevant all the time in every session.

Most DMs are not that strict about components and if yours is not then warcaster is definitely not needed.

Realistically, even if your DM is strict, you get very few spell slots and it's not really worth spending a feat on getting +5 three rounds per day when you could get +2 all day from increasing dex and casting mage armor. Wait until level 8 to take warcaster.

Alternitively, I highly recommend multiclassing bladesinger which is a good substitute for warcaster, as you can just keep a hand free. Wizard spells will greatly improve your utility (e.g. Rituals) and you have pretty much everything you need from Eldritch Knight by 7th level, as War Magic is competitive with three attacks. You will also get high level spells faster and not have to be restricted in selection.
100% seconded on the fact you don't need Warcaster that badly in the first levels.
Strongly disagree leaving EK definitely at 7th level to multiclass into Wizard. Eldricht Strike is just too good, especially on a Bladesinger multiclass (which means you have good INT in the first place: if you have 14 INT, Bladesinger School is not worth it because it's only once per short rest after all whereas shield is permanent, and just Warcaster will be plain better than +2 to concentration): even just 3rd or 4th level spells can be game-changers when you know you have a great chance to apply their effect.
Either stay pure EK and pick Warcaster at 6 or 8.
Or multiclass Bladesinger Wizard 2 and aim to get Eldricht Strike as soon as possible, then continue leveling Wizard, getting INT to at least 18 by the end of your progression (16 at the minimum).

The Shadowdove
2017-07-16, 05:27 PM
Hey everyone,

Thank you for your replies! I see a lot of awesome suggestions.

For this character I have decided to stay pure EK.

I am playing Adventurer's League. I had a DM reward that allowed me to start at level 3 and pick any +1 weapon.

I chose rapier.

Currently I am weighing the importance of sentinel and viability of mobile (one of my favorite feats).

I'll be jumping into tier 2 (levels 5-10) quickly, so level 8 is only a few sessions away if I go to the local shops a couple of times a week.

At level 4 I think I'll bump Dex to 18.

At 6 I'll go war caster.

Now at level 8, I am torn.

I think that using mobile and stepping out of the forest reach in an attempt to goad them into activating the secondary effect of Booming Blade might work. Plus, movement+ AoO mobility is great for battlefield positioning.

Sentinel is awesome for known reasons. Both seem a good way to keep the enemy's attention.

But I'm thinking of one of those two feats at 8. Then continuing on to max dex before maxing int.

So progression might look something like this. And please, I appreciate feedback. Feel free to share your insight and critique.

Level:
4. +2 Dex
6. Warcaster
8. Sentinel or Mobility.
12. +2 Dex. 20 total at this point.
14. Mobile or Sentinel.
16.+2 int.
19. +2 int. 20 total at this point.

Let me know what your feat and progression suggestions are. If there is any I am overlooking or some feat alternatives I haven't considered please let me know !

Thanks again

_---__-Dove

mcsillas
2017-07-16, 07:55 PM
So progression might look something like this. And please, I appreciate feedback. Feel free to share your insight and critique.

Level:
4. +2 Dex
6. Warcaster
8. Sentinel or Mobility.
12. +2 Dex. 20 total at this point.
14. Mobile or Sentinel.
16.+2 int.
19. +2 int. 20 total at this point.

Let me know what your feat and progression suggestions are. If there is any I am overlooking or some feat alternatives I haven't considered please let me know !

I'd include Resilient Dex, Shield Master, and Luck in my feat selection by removing mobility and +2 Int. There's a good chance these feats will save your life multiple times from spell attacks and monster abilities such as dragon breath.

Citan
2017-07-16, 08:15 PM
I'd include Resilient Dex, Shield Master, and Luck in my feat selection by removing mobility and +2 Int. There's a good chance these feats will save your life multiple times from spell attacks and monster abilities such as dragon breath.
Resilient Wisdom!!
Dex is nice, but with max DEX and Shield Master you already have nice evasion.
However, being frightened/charmed/dominated is at least diminishing your efficiency by a big amount, at worst turning you against friends.
Getting a decent Wisdom save is far more important imo.

Mobile is also very good if OP goes Extra Attack way, although he could do without if taking the habit of hasting himself.

mcsillas
2017-07-17, 09:17 AM
Resilient Wisdom!!
Dex is nice, but with max DEX and Shield Master you already have nice evasion.
However, being frightened/charmed/dominated is at least diminishing your efficiency by a big amount, at worst turning you against friends.
Getting a decent Wisdom save is far more important imo.

Mobile is also very good if OP goes Extra Attack way, although he could do without if taking the habit of hasting himself.

I see where you're coming from with Resilient Wisdom, but he's a High Elf which gives him advantage against charm. Luck would also help with any wisdom save he needs to make. I'm not saying that he shouldn't get Resilient Wisdom necessarily, I'm just not sure I would take it above Resilient Dex, Sheild Master or Luck.
Also, when you start fighting dragons that have a breath save of 24, it's imperative to have Resilient Dex if you want save - Dex 20 (+5) Resilient Dex (+6) Luck (advantage) and Shield Master together give decent chance of taking zero damage against a dragon breath weapon or any AoE dex save for that matter. Your healer will love your for it :smallbiggrin:
Oh, and you'll maintain concentration on any active spells. You get hit by a blast of heavy damage and your concentration check will be seriously tested.