PDA

View Full Version : Drawing a Weapon Silently?

Palanan
2017-07-15, 11:47 AM
If I want to draw a weapon silently, would that require a Stealth check, or is there some other mechanic? And if I’m drawing the weapon close to someone else, would they get a Perception check to hear my action?

This is in Pathfinder, but I'm open to answers from 3.5 as well.

Ellrin
2017-07-15, 12:04 PM
AFAIK, drawing a weapon doesn't have any specific non-visual sensory cues in 3.5 or PF, so it's really up to your DM, but by RAW, the only skill check I know of that generally affects drawing a weapon stealthily is Sleight of Hand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/sleight-of-hand/):

You can draw a light weapon without anyone noticing.

Check: A successful DC 20 Sleight of Hand check allows you to unobtrusively draw a weapon or other object no larger or longer than a light weapon (which includes potions, but not wands or alchemist bombs). Observers can notice you drawing the item as normal with opposed Perception checks. Creatures carefully observing you gain a +4 bonus on this Perception check.

Kami2awa
2017-07-15, 06:58 PM
Worth noting that blades going "tzing" as they are drawn is largely an artificial sound effect in modern TV and film. Most actual scabbards would not make this noise.

Crake
2017-07-15, 09:52 PM
Worth noting that blades going "tzing" as they are drawn is largely an artificial sound effect in modern TV and film. Most actual scabbards would not make this noise.

While that's true, there is still definitely going to be noice from just general movement and friction if you don't actively concentrate on drawing it quietly. It wouldn't be a tzing as you say, but more like a shuffling sound, depending on the kind of scabbard.

Considering, if you have at least 1 bab, you can draw your weapon as part of a move action made to move, i would allow the move silently check to move in to also cover the drawing of the weapon, rather than requiring a separate check. If they aren't moving about, then I would probably let the player pick between either move silently or sleight of hand, if I was even going to ask for such a check.