PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Elder Scrolls Dark Brotherhood Assassin: GoO Lock/Assassin?

Spore
2017-07-15, 04:23 PM
The Elder Scrolls always featured the most interesting (evil) factions in all RPG gaming. With what I would describe as "mid-magic" as well as almost no influence from real gods (and plenty influence from demon princes) it offers a slew of black magic inspired cults. But how would you translate such a concept to D&D?

Take the Dark Brotherhood for example. People do a certain dark ritual (involving a murder and ritualistic chanting) contacting the Nightmother which then gives her minions the job to assassinate a target person. My question is: How would you build a character on Level 1, 5, 10 and 15 to rise from a mere murderer through the ranks towards being Sithis' right hand? Would you have the character be Assassin into GoO Bladelock? Only Magic Initiating towards Warlock spells? Would you actually have him be a Bard of Silence? (or a Jester? I know Cicero would love that!)

You can also change up what you think the Nightmother or Sithis are? If the Nightmother and Sithis are just a ploy from Mephala, the Daedric Prince of Deception, you could actually be a cleric of trickery and still serve her. If Sithis is really able to help you from the cold void of space, GoO Lock would be a great fit. Are they Shadow Monks, with a seemingly mystical ability to be enveloped by the dark? Would they be Assassin Rogues? Or even Mastermind Rogues?

What would your take be on a DB Assassin? Speaker? Listener? Silencer?

NinaWu
2017-07-15, 07:07 PM
Tough. I haven't played Skyrim for yonks. Lv 1 rogue for max skills, maybe with criminal background (stealth & deception). Throw a total of 8 levels rogue/assassin into it. I'd put 8 levels shadow monk, the last 4 fighter/champion, take lucky, alert, and would have to think about the rest.

Unoriginal
2017-07-15, 07:14 PM
IRRC the people in the Dark Brotherhood receive no specific training and can come form all walks of life, so they're not assassins-as-in-the-class, but simply people who have learned to kill in one way or another and are hired to do so.

I might be wrong, though.

Princess
2017-07-15, 07:46 PM
IRRC the people in the Dark Brotherhood receive no specific training and can come form all walks of life, so they're not assassins-as-in-the-class, but simply people who have learned to kill in one way or another and are hired to do so.

Yep. Anyone willing and able to murder can join that group. But a Rogue (Assassin)/Great Old One Warlock (Pact of the Blade) would definitely make sense for doing exactly that.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-15, 07:59 PM

This.

Regarding the character, he or she worships the nightmother, a diety who speaks to a listener. There is no class restriction on worshipping a diety. The listener then acts as her chosen.

So, pick the class and archetype most likely to become her listener. My vote is a plain assassin.

Scathain
2017-07-15, 09:59 PM
This.

Regarding the character, he or she worships the nightmother, a diety who speaks to a listener. There is no class restriction on worshipping a diety. The listener then acts as her chosen.

So, pick the class and archetype most likely to become her listener. My vote is a plain assassin.

Idk, if you want to go for all elements of a DB assassin, my vote is Shadow Monk over rogue, and GOOlock on top of that for that classic Devil's Sight combo. You could easily play any class and make it work like you said, but generally speaking I feel Monklock covers all bases.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-15, 11:28 PM
Idk, if you want to go for all elements of a DB assassin, my vote is Shadow Monk over rogue, and GOOlock on top of that for that classic Devil's Sight combo. You could easily play any class and make it work like you said, but generally speaking I feel Monklock covers all bases.

My problem with shadow monks and GoO warlocks is that they don't do well with the actual assassination portion. Warlocks are okay, but shadow monks aren't particularly good at killing things quickly. They excel most at locking down casters and other ranged nuisances.

Assassins are consistently one of the best classes for a single-round kill, as long as they set it up. They also have the ability to use poisons well, and their wide variety of skills and expertise cover a range of common assassination side-skills. Disguises, lock-picking, stealth, deception, it's all there in the rogue kit.

People keep coming back to patrons and magic, neither of which were ever necessary to become the DB listener. Remember, the listener is chosen. The listener does not cut a deal with the Nightmother in exchange for power. The Nightmother selects the listener for her own reasons. The listener is more akin to a favored soul than a warlock.

citystar
2017-07-16, 04:22 AM
My concept of this is a Criminal background, Half-elf Dex-based Paladin of Vengeance. High Cha for Deception and social skills, high Dex for melee/ranged combat, Initiative, dex skills etc. The Vengeance oath spells are very handy for an assassin: Misty Step, Hold Person, Haste. Divine Smite is your gift of death from your deity of choice.

Xetheral
2017-07-16, 10:34 AM
The listener does not cut a deal with the Nightmother in exchange for power. The Nightmother selects the listener for her own reasons.

Warlock is still an excellent class for modeling characters who receive power (or in this case, attention) from a powerful being. The fluff in the book describes the possibility of a warlock being unknown to their patron, so there is precedent for non-negotiated Pacts. It isn't much of a stretch to have it be the character, rather than the patron, who never had a choice in the matter. (Assuming the player is fine with this, of course.)

Your suggestion of Favored Soul is also an excellent choice.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-16, 12:18 PM
Warlock is still an excellent class for modeling characters who receive power (or in this case, attention) from a powerful being. The fluff in the book describes the possibility of a warlock being unknown to their patron, so there is precedent for non-negotiated Pacts. It isn't much of a stretch to have it be the character, rather than the patron, who never had a choice in the matter. (Assuming the player is fine with this, of course.)

Your suggestion of Favored Soul is also an excellent choice.

My point is that, because the nightmother selects, there's no assumption of magic at all. People keep bringing it up because they like magic. That speaks to people's preferences, not the job of listener.

Spore
2017-07-16, 12:41 PM
My point is that, because the nightmother selects, there's no assumption of magic at all. People keep bringing it up because they like magic. That speaks to people's preferences, not the job of listener.

Personally hearing the Nightmother is what I would consider a commune spell. That is what would make sense for some sort of supernatural class. And if we took the concept of "entity worshipping assassin cult" out of Tamriel and into a setting of our choice the character has is either a "standard" assassin or someone who can commune with the Great Old One that is Sithis.

But you are right. Madness, Tentacles and the Cold Void of Space were never the theme of the Dark Brotherhood. Of course Sithis represents the whole void of space but then the place between the stars in TES is the stuff where magic DOESNT happen. Because the stars give the mortals magical abilities.

Scathain
2017-07-16, 04:41 PM
Personally hearing the Nightmother is what I would consider a commune spell. That is what would make sense for some sort of supernatural class. And if we took the concept of "entity worshipping assassin cult" out of Tamriel and into a setting of our choice the character has is either a "standard" assassin or someone who can commune with the Great Old One that is Sithis.

But you are right. Madness, Tentacles and the Cold Void of Space were never the theme of the Dark Brotherhood. Of course Sithis represents the whole void of space but then the place between the stars in TES is the stuff where magic DOESNT happen. Because the stars give the mortals magical abilities.

That's why I still believe the shadow monk / goolock is still viable, as a shadow monk you're anti-Mage, and who is more at home in darkness?

Spore
2017-07-16, 05:00 PM
That's why I still believe the shadow monk / goolock is still viable, as a shadow monk you're anti-Mage, and who is more at home in darkness?

Yeah I feel killing a wizard or well protected priest is quite hard. But a hefty chunk of assassin should help with most typical targets.