PDA

View Full Version : Shillelagh - why it's generally a good optimization choice, as long as you know why

Citan
2017-07-15, 05:44 PM
Hi all!

One comment from someone on another thread, basically saying that Shillelagh is generally a trap because of action economy, compelled me to react. But I missed the timeframe by a few days, so have to open own thread.

So, why is Shillelagh a GOOD choice in most occasions?

First, the basics. Why the hell would you interested in Shillelagh in the first place?
1) You cannot/don't want to use STR or DEX as an attack stat for weapon attacks for whatever reason suits you.
2) You have enough "power" behind your weapon attacks, whatever it comes from, to make it worth using Attack over casting cantrips (putting weapon cantrips aside -for now-).

The usual cases where we see Shillelagh considered/advised are (ime)...
- Some Clerics.
- Tomelocks.
- Druids.
- Bards.
- Monks.
But it could be extended to any class that whishes to use a mental stat in place of its usual STR/DEX, including multiclasses or even some Fighters. :)

Now. The usual argument I see against Shillelagh is "it's not worth it because of action economy".

Let's take a Nature Cleric as an example: since you get heavy armor proficiency, you may want to get starting 16 STR as well as starting 16 WIS.
In toughest fights, such a Cleric would either cast Spiritual Weapon, or Spirit Guardians, or both. On any other normal turn, he would have to choose between (enhanced) single weapon attack or Sacred Flame.

If he wants to take advantage of the enhanced weapon attack (because he took Sentinel someway to pair with Spirit Guardians, or Polearm Master), he would normally have to increase STR to at least 18 to keep competitive, and probably 20.
Using Shillelagh instead allows him to max spell and attack by level 8, or enable the Sentinel+Spirit Guardians combo early.
"But it takes a bonus action": sure. But what else would he do with his bonus action?
Unless you cast Spiritual Weapon, or went and built a Shield Master grapple/shove build, you have very little to do with it anyways.

Unless he took Polearm Master instead. Then let's compare two variant human Nature Clerics, level 8, who both maxed WIS as a priority (because you are a full caster in the first place), one using Shillelagh, one not using it.
non-Shillelagh: +3+3=6
Shillelagh: +3+5=8.
The latter loses one attack on the first turn, but then gets +10% chance to hit per attack for the next minute. AND bypasses physical damage resistance, which should start to be common enough at this level.
How would that be "bad"?

Now let's get an Open Hand Monk, which is seemingly the most popular of Monks with Shadow.
First will do as usual, bumping DEX first to 18, then bumping WIS because Stunning Strike becomes important.
Second will grab a level of Nature Cleric early then go straight and bump WIS both times.
At level 8, the first has advantage on AC (+1) and Initiative (+1).
The other one though got two Bless per day from very early on to make him much better, got similar chance to hit otherwise, better Stunning Strike earlier and physical resistance bypass (as sad as may be, Monk gets "magical" only on unarmed strikes, so attacks with weapon are unaffected).
Obviously Shillelagh is of lesser value for a Monk that will reach higher levels, because you usually want to max both DEX and WIS. However, if you are ready to accept a lesser final AC, having WIS as your otherwise only attribute of importance frees ASI for feats instead: Mobile, Alert, Mage Slayer or Sentinel come to mind.

Now let's get a Tome Lock: usually, you just want to rely on Eldricht Blast because you have too bad an AC (even with Mage Armor) to risk yourself into melee. Moreover, you don't get any defining feature for melee attack.
As soon as weapon cantrips are available, it's another story entirely: start with the usual 14 DEX, grab Moderately Armored feat as early as possible, then grab Shillelagh and weapon cantrips.
As a Warlock, your only use for bonus action at lower levels is Hex, and you quickly get many other good spells to use your slots on, whether concentration or not. So the competition for bonus action is actually fairly low.
And now you don't have to get force-tracked into "Warlock = blaster".

More generally, Shillelagh is a very viable tactic whenever...
- You get at least 2 attacks, with or without Polearm Master (and no wish to use heavy weapons) or you get a powerful single attack (weapon cantrips).
- You are feat-hungry while wanting to rely on stat-reliant spells.

TL;DR: is Shillelagh an "always must-have / always use it"? Certainly not: it does require some light or heavier investment depending on where you come from. But it is a very good tool to have at one's disposal, for a large number of character concepts (just brushed off the surface by taking pure-class examples, but many multiclasses can greatly benefit from it: my favorite is EK 11 / War Cleric 9: thematic and great synergy).

Vaz
2017-07-15, 06:16 PM
Shillelagh is also a spell you can also have on at all times. It's not Concentration, lasts for a minute, and you can always find a reason to walk around with a quarterstaff; a weapon that every class is able to use with Proficiency, and isn't out of place on a wanderer and is inherently unthreatening in its own respect - for better or for worse, you're not walking around with clear martial weapons.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuDsoJ8IMAAsk6i.jpg

There is usually a niche time when Shillelagh isn't active, and for ease, the DM has gotten used to the idea that Shillelagh is always on, unless he states otherwise, simply for the efficiency of play. You're not wasting an action, Bonus or otherwise.

EdenIndustries
2017-07-15, 06:18 PM
Great read Citan! You always have interesting stuff to say. One question though:

my favorite is EK 11 / War Cleric 9: thematic and great synergy).

Did you mean Nature Cleric instead of War Cleric? Or War Cleric, but picking up Shillelagh via Magic Initiate at some point?

Sigreid
2017-07-15, 06:19 PM
Even if you're just a champion fighter who dumped wisdom, you can still use your strength for staves and clubs with Shillelagh, so it's a relatively cheap assurance that you can have a magic weapon as long as you can find a solid stick.

Citan
2017-07-15, 06:54 PM
Great read Citan! You always have interesting stuff to say. One question though:

Did you mean Nature Cleric instead of War Cleric? Or War Cleric, but picking up Shillelagh via Magic Initiate at some point?
Well, sorry for that incoherence, just wrote too fast.
I usually in fact pick Nature Cleric, but for the sake of thematics I find War domain to fit an Eldricht Knight better (always prepared Divine Favor and Spirit Guardians, plus the extra Precision from Channel Divinity). So that would certainly mean Magic Initiate: Druid, which would not be a bad thing in the first place: Thorns Whip can be useful too (especially with Spirit Guardians active), and a 1/day Longstrider or Thunderwave is a nice little bonus.

Anyways, I would probably build it as such: Fighter 1 / Cleric 1 (having Bless available now is worth delaying Extra Attack imo, but YMMV) / EK 7 (Magic Initiate, +WIS) Whatever else you want (either stick with Fighter until the end, or get 3rd attack then back Cleric, or get Cleric's CD and 2nd level spells first... Really anything is good, although I'd favor getting at least Eldricht Strike ASAP: paired with Bane you become a great support for your caster friends).

Shillelagh is also a spell you can also have on at all times. It's not Concentration, lasts for a minute, and you can always find a reason to walk around with a quarterstaff; a weapon that every class is able to use with Proficiency, and isn't out of place on a wanderer and is inherently unthreatening in its own respect - for better or for worse, you're not walking around with clear martial weapons.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuDsoJ8IMAAsk6i.jpg

There is usually a niche time when Shillelagh isn't active, and for ease, the DM has gotten used to the idea that Shillelagh is always on, unless he states otherwise, simply for the efficiency of play. You're not wasting an action, Bonus or otherwise.
I tend to agree with you (I would certainly consider this as a DM in most situations), still it's more of an arrangement by a nice DM than something you can shield behind to say "hey I obviously have Shillelagh active when I roll Initiative".
That's why I didn't want to put it as an argument: in the end it's very DM-dependent. :)

MeeposFire
2017-07-15, 08:38 PM
Remember most characters have to give up on an ASI to get that cantrip so that does take its value down a bit.

I like this cantrip on nature clerics especially hill dwarves.

It can work on a tomelock though having to spend 2 cantrips to make it work (you need booming blade or other weapon cantrips to make it worth it) which makes me a bit sad as I do like to save those cantrips for other things but it can work.

Not a fan of it on a monk since I have to spend something to get the cantrip and then I will likely have weaker flurry and other things mostly to have slightly better save DCs. To me not really worth it especially in the long run. On a one shot character sure but since I do not really play that style it is not the best for me.

Oddly not a fan on a druid because without a weapon cantrip and without the bonus damage that classes like clerics get it does not seem worth the trouble. Now if you spend some additional resources and pick up a weapon cantrip then it will be better though I still like it on a cleric better.

The action requirement can be annoying but in most cases that is not a huge deal for most of these classes (except for monks that have a fair number of bonus action abilities).

rudy
2017-07-16, 12:32 AM
Not a fan of it on a monk since I have to spend something to get the cantrip and then I will likely have weaker flurry and other things mostly to have slightly better save DCs.

The only potentially worthwhile way to do it as a monk is definitely the nature cleric start. Not only does that get you shillelagh, but cantrips (guidance anyone?) and a few spells , which is a bigger deal that it seems at first since you won't otherwise be using your concentration. 'shield of faith', 'bless', etc. Ritually cast detect magic, while you're at it. Be the monk with glowy eyes.

Beelzebubba
2017-07-16, 04:18 AM
I just find it hilarious that the character with the least amount of discussion is the one who has this cantrip on their exclusive spell list. Just goes to show you the nature of unintended consequences.

Citan
2017-07-16, 04:35 AM
Remember most characters have to give up on an ASI to get that cantrip so that does take its value down a bit.

I like this cantrip on nature clerics especially hill dwarves.

It can work on a tomelock though having to spend 2 cantrips to make it work (you need booming blade or other weapon cantrips to make it worth it) which makes me a bit sad as I do like to save those cantrips for other things but it can work.

Not a fan of it on a monk since I have to spend something to get the cantrip and then I will likely have weaker flurry and other things mostly to have slightly better save DCs. To me not really worth it especially in the long run. On a one shot character sure but since I do not really play that style it is not the best for me.

Oddly not a fan on a druid because without a weapon cantrip and without the bonus damage that classes like clerics get it does not seem worth the trouble. Now if you spend some additional resources and pick up a weapon cantrip then it will be better though I still like it on a cleric better.

The action requirement can be annoying but in most cases that is not a huge deal for most of these classes (except for monks that have a fair number of bonus action abilities).
1. Sure (if you take the feat), but it still means you get better mental stat quicker and one more space for a feat. ;) And if one is really annoyed by the fact "normal" ASI choices would be delayed because of that, one could take Variant Human to resolve the problem (wouldn't do it myself though, because of my love for all elves's other benefits, and I don't mind waiting ;)).

2. Totally true, for "normal" Monk it's not usually the best choice because normal Monks tend to want max DEX and WIS anyways (especially "classic" Open Hand who would want to spam Flurry of Blows as often as possible for the free control rider: they need both DEX for hitting with unarmed, and WIS for the rider DC). So I probably didn't take the best example now that I think about it. XD

Now, for some Monks I appreciate going that way because I would rarely use Ki and bonus action on Flurry of Blows in the first place: like Shadow (using bonus action to swap place), 4 Elements (using Ki mainly on spells), Long Death (spamming Fear so no FoB) or more generally using Ki on Dodge/Dash/Disengage/Diamond Soul...
This does frees ASI to get Sentinel or Mage Slayer instead, or bump WIS/get Mobile much earlier, and that is a good thing imo (better DC is especially important for 4e, Sun Soul and Long Death).
Conversely, I would probably never pick it for a Shadow Monk, because the only ability relying on WIS is Stunning Strike IIRC.
That's why I said "it's usually a good choice as long as you know why": obviously taking Shillelagh "for Shillelagh" as a Monk, without any specific goal in mind, is useless. :)

3. Agreed too, on a basic Druid I'd usually prefer using Thorns Whip in the first place. With that said, Shillelagh does provide a clean way to build a controllish Druid if you so want, by grabbing weapon cantrips as you said, or taking Polearm Master (and possibly Mobile, Sentinel). Of course, as for most casters, trying to make a "buffy" Land Druid is quite the investment though (either go light armor + DEX way, but in that case why not take a Monk dip instead? Or grab Magic Initiate to get Mage Armor at the same time you get the weapon cantrips, but you are probably still stuck at 16 AC, good but not great)...

That's why I think Shillelagh really shines as a choice in multiclasses much more than in pure classes, because pure classes are usually designed to not require it to be effective, so it's just an alternative path to some unusual builds (like a tanky Cleric or a specialized Monk). ;)

bid
2017-07-16, 09:48 AM
TL;DR: is Shillelagh an "always must-have / always use it"? Certainly not: it does require some light or heavier investment depending on where you come from. But it is a very good tool to have at one's disposal, for a large number of character concepts (just brushed off the surface by taking pure-class examples, but many multiclasses can greatly benefit from it: my favorite is EK 11 / War Cleric 9: thematic and great synergy).
The caveat of shillelagh is "I hate warcaster".

So you have your shield and shillelagh and refuse to waste a feat on warcaster because, you know, your shield is your holy symbol. It's the middle of the fight and you have to cast an S spell. No problem, I'll sheath my weapon and cast... well I just lost shillelagh. Next round you cannot cast any slot spell since you need to BA-cast shillelagh.

I think it's mostly a fake problem, you'll cast slot spells before grabbing your shillelagh and even if your hand stays empty for your first reaction (no BA since you used a slot spell) it's no big deal.

So some will say you need to get warcaster to use shillelagh effectively.

Citan
2017-07-16, 11:14 AM
The caveat of shillelagh is "I hate warcaster".

So you have your shield and shillelagh and refuse to waste a feat on warcaster because, you know, your shield is your holy symbol. It's the middle of the fight and you have to cast an S spell. No problem, I'll sheath my weapon and cast... well I just lost shillelagh. Next round you cannot cast any slot spell since you need to BA-cast shillelagh.

I think it's mostly a fake problem, you'll cast slot spells before grabbing your shillelagh and even if your hand stays empty for your first reaction (no BA since you used a slot spell) it's no big deal.

So some will say you need to get warcaster to use shillelagh effectively.
Hmm, I'd argue that Warcaster would still be useful anyways for all that it provides in a single, neat package.
But thanks for stressing out that limitation. ;)