PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Warlock/Sorcerer Multiclass

jeanquilt
2017-07-15, 07:26 PM
Alright, so I'm currently playing as a 5th level varient human Warlock (Archfey, tome pack), and I want to multiclass into Sorcerer. However, I'm not really sure what build I want and I'm hoping for some good input!

My stats are: STR 10 DEX 14 CON 12 WIS 13 INT 14 CHA 19 (rolled)
Feats: Actor, Spell Sniper
Invocations: Mask of Many Faces, Aspect of the Moon, Book of Ancient Secrets
Party: Glamour Bard, Samurai Warrior, Moon Druid, Assassin Rogue (who will probably die soon)

I'm allowed to use any 5th edition official material, including all UA, and our DM is hoping we'll get to level 20 by the end of the campaign.

My character is focusing more on enchantment/illusion magic and is acting as the party face (our Bard can do this also, my so far my character has typically been better at it). Our rogue and warrior are doing a ton of damage on their own so I'm mostly looking for utility rather than blasting damage.

With all that said, the builds I'm looking at are:
Warlock 5/Sorcerer X
Warlock 8/Sorcerer X
Warlock 8/Sorcerer 8/other class (probably bard or paladin) 4
Warlock 5/(Paladin, bard, or maybe fighter) 3/Sorcerer X

Which build out of these would be the best? Or, if there's another on that would work better, what would it be? I'm not super worried about stepping on our bard's feet by choosing bard, because I'll probably go Lore bard if I choose it, and it's completely different from Glamour. Alternatively, Rogue (thief) might be nice since our Rogue is probably going to get himself killed. If you have any thoughts on that, please let me know!

thanks in advance!

bid
2017-07-15, 08:13 PM
You can't MC pally with Str10. With Dex14, you don't have the stats for martial classes.

Beyond that, sorcerer is most useful if you twin buff spells.

Is there a reason why you won't keep pushing warlock?

BW022
2017-07-15, 08:45 PM
Which build out of these would be the best?

Only you can answer that. My general advice is... Make a few copies of your character sheet and level them using different multi-classes and include one copy always continuing as a pure warlock. Then pick an CR encounter equal to your level and seriously ask yourself "What would my character do if my party was facing this?"

If you take two levels of sorcerer... you gain 3 1st-level spell slots, some cantrips, font of magic and some sorcerer points, some first level sorcerer spells known, and maybe some natural armor. You lose access to high-level invocations, access to 4th-level spells, a 6th-level pact ability, and won't gain an ability increase/feat next level. You are effectively trading lots of low-level spells for your higher-level abilities.

So... facing a CR7 opponent (say a stone giant) as either warlock/7... I would say cast greater invisibility on the warrior, or maybe polymorph on the bard into a giant ape. Both would save massive damage to the party and likely stalemate the stone giant while the rest of the party blasts away. For a warlock/5 sorcerer/2, I honestly can't think of what you could do other than slug it out and use most of your spell slots trying to damage it.

You can't multi-class into a paladin. You lack the 13 strength. Even then, you aren't a melee build so neither smiting nor fighting styles are that useful. Bard would give you some bardic music, jack of trades, but otherwise similar to sorcerer with slightly less spell slots.

Your book pact gives you most utility spells. If your rogue is dropping out... I don't see too many times when a rogue is needed. You could look at a level of rogue to gain the tools, but IMO it isn't worth it... spells, books rituals, invocations, and roleplaying can get you past most things. If you really have to... take the skilled feat at 8th-level and remember that when you select an invocation you can also swap out and older one -- so something like mask of many faces might also work instead of stealth. Finally... you could consider a level of cleric with the trickery domain -- which gives you medium armor, shield, healing, access to disguise self, a domain ability to help (your familiars or the bard's) stealth checks, and a couple of spell slots -- useful to fuel hex.

I would personally, go with warlock until at least 9th or even 11th. High-level abilities are worth more than you can get with multi-classing at this point.

For utility you already have book which means you have access to lots of low-level spells as rituals -- comprehend languages, detect magic, find familiar, water breathing, etc. as long as you can find scrolls. For combat... your party is seriously missing a controller.

jeanquilt
2017-07-15, 09:41 PM
You can't MC pally with Str10. With Dex14, you don't have the stats for martial classes.

Beyond that, sorcerer is most useful if you twin buff spells.

Is there a reason why you won't keep pushing warlock?

Forgot about the STR requirement for pally, thanks for pointing that out.

I don't want to keep pushing Warlock because most of the higher level abilities are pretty bleh. I'm kind of regretting taking more than 3 levels in Warlock, honestly. None of the Archfey abilities are all that great (I took it moreso for thematic reasons) and I really doubt I'll miss any of them.

The main reason I want to switch is because having just 2 spell slots per short rest to use before all I can do is spam cantrips is a lot more restrictive than I thought it would be. I'm sure our fighter appreciates it but I really hate having to be "that guy" and asking to take a short rest after every other fight. However, I'm pretty fond of my character and I don't want to kill her off just because Warlock doesn't have a lot of spell slots.

spells, books rituals, invocations, and roleplaying can get you past most things.
Except locked doors! :smallbiggrin: Our bard said she doesn't want to take Knock so we're a bit stuck if we get to a secure door and our rogue isn't there. I've got Mask of Many Faces and Actor, and that combo works great...when there's someone to talk to.

I've been looking at Rogue (Thief, probably) for some story-based reasons as well.

Finally... you could consider a level of cleric with the trickery domain

Trickery doesn't really fit my Warlock's character, and I'm trying to optimize her within the constraints of who she is. Trickery would be great to have but with her personality I think Knowledge or Arcana would fit her best. The god she'd be getting her Favored Soul sorc. abilities from would be either Azuth or Boccob. Agreed that we do need a controller though, and I'm trying to focus on taking spells like hold person and invisibility that help that.

Citan
2017-07-16, 01:01 PM
Alright, so I'm currently playing as a 5th level varient human Warlock (Archfey, tome pack), and I want to multiclass into Sorcerer. However, I'm not really sure what build I want and I'm hoping for some good input!

My stats are: STR 10 DEX 14 CON 12 WIS 13 INT 14 CHA 19 (rolled)
Feats: Actor, Spell Sniper
Invocations: Mask of Many Faces, Aspect of the Moon, Book of Ancient Secrets
Party: Glamour Bard, Samurai Warrior, Moon Druid, Assassin Rogue (who will probably die soon)

I'm allowed to use any 5th edition official material, including all UA, and our DM is hoping we'll get to level 20 by the end of the campaign.

My character is focusing more on enchantment/illusion magic and is acting as the party face (our Bard can do this also, my so far my character has typically been better at it). Our rogue and warrior are doing a ton of damage on their own so I'm mostly looking for utility rather than blasting damage.

With all that said, the builds I'm looking at are:
Warlock 5/Sorcerer X
Warlock 8/Sorcerer X
Warlock 8/Sorcerer 8/other class (probably bard or paladin) 4
Warlock 5/(Paladin, bard, or maybe fighter) 3/Sorcerer X

Which build out of these would be the best? Or, if there's another on that would work better, what would it be? I'm not super worried about stepping on our bard's feet by choosing bard, because I'll probably go Lore bard if I choose it, and it's completely different from Glamour. Alternatively, Rogue (thief) might be nice since our Rogue is probably going to get himself killed. If you have any thoughts on that, please let me know!

thanks in advance!

Forgot about the STR requirement for pally, thanks for pointing that out.

I don't want to keep pushing Warlock because most of the higher level abilities are pretty bleh. I'm kind of regretting taking more than 3 levels in Warlock, honestly. None of the Archfey abilities are all that great (I took it moreso for thematic reasons) and I really doubt I'll miss any of them.

Don't regret. Don't regret AT ALL!
Although I would have probably started Sorcerer multiclass earlier if I had this in mind, there is absolutely no problem with Warlock 5.

1. You already contribute dearly to utility thanks to the rituals, including those 3rd level ones you couldn't have gotten otherwise (Leomund's!), and I suppose you got Fear or Phantasmal Force already which are great to use.

2. Although you will feel "weak" at first when leveling Sorcerer, you will end with many great 3rd level slots you will be able to use on a regular basis thanks to Warlock slots: among the best, Haste as a buff, Slow for group debuff, Stinking Cloud for battlefield control, etc...

Plus you can convert short rest slots into Sorcery points also. ;)

My advise would be: start multiclassing (Wild Magic) Sorcerer immediately, straight up to 6. Consider what spells and metamagic you want (you have to choose while keeping both related to one another: since you are lacking control, I'd suggest Careful as one Metamagic for large scale spells, and Heightened for great single target debuff).

While you are getting there, try several spells and get a feeling for each.
Once you are Warlock 5 / Sorcerer 6, ask yourself: what spell do I really want to use often? If it's 3rd level at most, keep Sorcerer all the way. If it's 4th level, go Warlock 7. If it's 5th level, go Warlock 11+.

You should have more than enough time to think about all that... XD
Have fun!