PDA

View Full Version : MLP d&d 5e homebrew: Alicorns and the Princesses

Nykolo
2017-07-15, 09:45 PM
I am creating a homebrew for a few of my friends who is obsessed with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I borrowed the races from DigoDragon's: My Little Pony Races for D&D 5e (I am new, so I currently cannot link, so I can only leave the title). I have the world all set up: it will take place ten years after the three tribes were united (so as to keep the medieval fantasy theme of D&D), and the first adventure will have them go after the Windigos who still plague Equestria.
So far, I have everything ready, except for one thing; the Princesses. Would they be just like deities, having domains for clerics, or would they be just very powerful ponies? If so, how would I go about creating an alicorn race?
I am probably thinking too much into this, but it is something that I have been pondering recently.

Wryte
2017-07-16, 01:27 AM
IIRC, the alicorn princesses didn't exist yet at the time of the three tribes, or at least weren't present. Otherwise there would have been no conflict between them.

Composer99
2017-07-17, 09:00 PM
For anyone who wants to review the homebrew material, here's a linky (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?435720-My-Little-Pony-Races-for-D-amp-D-5e) to DigoDragon's thread.

-----

To answer your question:

So far, I have everything ready, except for one thing; the Princesses. Would they be just like deities, having domains for clerics, or would they be just very powerful ponies? If so, how would I go about creating an alicorn race?

Apart from the fluff part where there might not be any alicorns, I think you have to answer that question for yourself, whether they count as deities or are just incomparably powerful ponies.

That said, either way, it seems to me that despite possessing qualities common to all three pony tribes, each alicorn is unique in so many respects as to make having an alicorn character race be somewhat nonsensical. If you want PCs to eventually become alicorns, consider 'brewing an alicorn template that can be added to pony characters, and if you don't, consider making them as custom monsters/NPCs instead.

Yanecky
2017-07-18, 01:40 AM
Just a friendly reminder that might save you some work: you know there is a RPG game titled "Tails of Equestria"? It's been released recently - it's actually good or even very good, with very clever "friendship mechanic". Played it with my kids, they loved it.