PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Wilding Clasp for armor?

Blu
2017-07-15, 10:01 PM
So i'm making a Druid and stumbled upon this item from MiC. My question is, does it work for armor?
This question sprout from the description saying "as long as the item could reasonably be worn by the new form" but what would be "reasonably" using an item?

Beheld
2017-07-15, 10:18 PM
1) I would say yes.

2) You might also look into Wilding Armor. It's a +3 I think, so a long way away cost wise, but it has an even better advantage, in that you keep the armor bonus, but aren't wearing the armor, this means you can wear Stoneplate armor, and even though you aren't proficient, that doesn't matter, because you take no penalty, and even though the max dex is 1, you still benefit from the full dex of all your wild shapes. All this, and you have a +11 Armor Bonus to AC.

Goaty14
2017-07-15, 11:07 PM
I interpreted reasonably as being somewhat humanoid, so wearing hide armor with a wilding clasp would work if you wild shaped into a bear (4 appendages and a head), but not if you wild shaped into a snake, or a shark.

SirNibbles
2017-07-16, 09:12 AM
I interpreted reasonably as being somewhat humanoid, so wearing hide armor with a wilding clasp would work if you wild shaped into a bear (4 appendages and a head), but not if you wild shaped into a snake, or a shark.

^ this, and also size. I don't think there's anything that says your gear changes size to fit you when you use a Wilding Clasp, so a Medium Human Wild Shaping into a Large Bear would not be able to keep his armour.

For armour, shape is very important because of the manner in which the weight of an armour is held on the body. Most of the weight is held at the waist (by means of a belt), not the shoulders. This allows for maximum mobility, especially of the arms. If you shape into a similar-sized humanoid but the length or width of the torso is changed, the armour would not be able to held up properly by a belt. This would result in the weight bearing down on your shoulders, making it hard to move.

Necroticplague
2017-07-16, 09:44 AM
So i'm making a Druid and stumbled upon this item from MiC. My question is, does it work for armor?
This question sprout from the description saying "as long as the item could reasonably be worn by the new form" but what would be "reasonably" using an item?

No. Wilding Clasps only work for 'and amulet, vest, or similar item'. Armor isn't similar to either. That's what the Wild armor enhancement is for.

Venger
2017-07-16, 01:18 PM
suck all your equipment into a ring of arming and just put a clasp on that to save money.

Crake
2017-07-16, 08:55 PM
No. Wilding Clasps only work for 'and amulet, vest, or similar item'. Armor isn't similar to either. That's what the Wild armor enhancement is for.

Don't know which wilding clasp you're looking at, but the one in the magic item compendium says "A wilding clasp can be attached to any item worn on the body." Now if you're gonna try and tell me armor isn't worn on the body, that's a different discussion.

Of course, I disagree with people saying that a bear could wear humanoid armor, because bears specifically require their own barding armor, so I believe it was mostly intended for wondrous items that resize and change to match the wearer's form. Put it this way: If you could take the armor off, wild shape, and then put the armor back on, then yes a wilding clasp would work, otherwise, no. As mentioned, the wild armor enchantment can cover your needs, or if you wish to retain the other armor abilities, then look into the beastskin armor enchantment from magic item compendium. +2 instead of +3, and requires you to spend a second wild shape use when you wildshape, but it lets you reshape your armor and retain all the abilities on it (but also all the penalties, like speed reduction, ACP and max dex), unlike wild, which only retains the armor bonus.