PDA

View Full Version : Inheritor Item

bluthunda
2017-07-16, 06:18 AM
I'm trying to pick a cool RP Inheritor item I've read the rules for it several times can't seem to figure it out so now I'm asking you all for help. Basically I'm going to summarize his back story and character progression and see what y'all think would be cool.

Character- Black Dragonborn Paladin to start for 2 levels the going GOO Bladelock of Dendar for 3 levels as level 5 is as far as I've planned so far. (Sword and Shield weilding)
Stats- 17,8,14,8,10,16

Backstory- Zarafil Acidious' Egg was kidnapped from a Black Dragon by a cult that worships Dendar the night serpent and raised with idea imprinted in his head that he is the Son of Dendar and must go out and spread nightmares to the world to strengthen his parent so it can break free onto the Material plane. For his first adventure he is going to wipe out some Dragon cultists for worshiping the wrong diety (HotDQ). I plan on trying to hide his Patron from the rest of the group as much as possible but the onyx black armor and sword he'll have probably isn't going to help.

So I appreciate any input you guys would have for comparison there is another Dragonborn(either gold or brass can't remember) but fire breathing and he has a Cloak with continual flame cast on it so it looks like it's always on fire .

Unoriginal
2017-07-16, 07:56 AM
What do you mean by "inheritor item" ?

DivisibleByZero
2017-07-16, 08:17 AM
Leave it up to your DM. He can include a hook for it easier that way.

Zejety
2017-07-16, 08:41 AM
What do you mean by "inheritor item" ?

OP is most likely referring to an inherited item as part of the Inheritor background from the Sword Coast Adventurer Guide.

bluthunda
2017-07-16, 09:21 AM
OP is most likely referring to an inherited item as part of the Inheritor background from the Sword Coast Adventurer Guide.
Oh I'm sorry yes I am talking about said background the sword coast says any item that you're proficient in but I believe AL rules it to be an item with minor quirk if I'm understanding it correctly.
Also since the character is an AL character it's more for astetics then anything else since it could show up on multiple table with different DM's
I was kinda thinking of an amulet/holy symbol that causes those who sleep(long rest) around my character to have nightmares all night but not anything that can ruin a long rest or wake just a way to feed Dendar more nightmares. Not sure if that something that is workable rule wise or not ?

Naanomi
2017-07-16, 10:28 AM
In AL it has to be an item either on the 'inheritor' chart or in the PHB 75g or lower. It can either glow, or choose one of the 'minor quirks' in the DMG. Like many background features, it will never come up in play at all in an AL setting (unless you sell in I guess). I played an AL character who had constantly shifting Tattoos (my skin was like a book written in an unknown language, and the words kept changing)

The holy symbol is ok; the nightmares are not because they are not on the quirk chart (DMG 143)

bluthunda
2017-07-16, 10:41 AM
In AL it has to be an item either on the 'inheritor' chart or in the PHB 75g or lower. It can either glow, or choose one of the 'minor quirks' in the DMG. Like many background features, it will never come up in play at all in an AL setting (unless you sell in I guess). I played an AL character who had constantly shifting Tattoos (my skin was like a book written in an unknown language, and the words kept changing)

The holy symbol is ok; the nightmares are not because they are not on the quirk chart (DMG 143)

Well I asked DM about it and he seems fine with it I guess so it's not an issue anymore lol probably might cause issues if I go to other tables but meh I'll cross that bridge then thanks for the info

Naanomi
2017-07-16, 10:49 AM
Well I asked DM about it and he seems fine with it I guess so it's not an issue anymore lol probably might cause issues if I go to other tables but meh I'll cross that bridge then thanks for the info
Be careful with that, an AL GM not following AL rules usually isn't the best situation... I'm no big fan of AL restrictions per se, but they do exist and if a GM is willing to bend or break one, it wouldn't surprise me to learn they are violating the rules elsewhere as well

bluthunda
2017-07-16, 11:31 AM
Be careful with that, an AL GM not following AL rules usually isn't the best situation... I'm no big fan of AL restrictions per se, but they do exist and if a GM is willing to bend or break one, it wouldn't surprise me to learn they are violating the rules elsewhere as well

It probably won't be an issue if anything it's probably my fault since he's a relatively new DM I believe and I'm the one requesting it also the item in question basically have no real mechanical effect but just a flavor one. I'd also have to agree that AL rules are kinda dumb at points the idea that loot and exp are split evenly is fine but restricting alignments and affects like vampirism and lycanthropy kinda dumb even tho I imagine they would buff characters quite alot.