PDA

View Full Version : Warlock/Dragon Disciple?

MountainKing
2007-08-07, 04:11 PM
I'm curious; assuming that a DM would approve of invocation-arcane spell equivalence, would a Warlock with levels in Dragon Disciple be broken? Or would it actually be a GOOD application of the DD prestige class?

brian c
2007-08-07, 04:22 PM
I'm curious; assuming that a DM would approve of invocation-arcane spell equivalence, would a Warlock with levels in Dragon Disciple be broken? Or would it actually be a GOOD application of the DD prestige class?

Warlock/Anything is unlikely to be "broken" on the scale that an optimized full caster would be. Dragon Disciple isn't particularly great either. If that's what you want to do, go for it, but be aware that it's not uber-powerful (and thus shouldn't be disallowed, unless your DM just doesn't want to let you treat invocations as spells)

SITB
2007-08-07, 04:34 PM
Beside the obvious thematic clash, what does the Warlock get from this combo?

Arbitrarity
2007-08-07, 04:39 PM
He becomes a half-dragon?

Waiiiit.

Then again, Dragon Disciple seems often to be a less than useful class.

brian c
2007-08-07, 04:59 PM
Beside the obvious thematic clash, what does the Warlock get from this combo?

Claws, wings, fly speed, natural armor, ability boosts, crappy breath weapon, and I suppose +1 invoking level instead of +1 spellcasting level.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-08-07, 05:04 PM
I don't see a Warlock/Dragon Disciple being good at anything. There's no synergy, and you stop getting Warlock abilities but don't become a competent melee character (those strength boosts just aren't enough).

Fax Celestis
2007-08-07, 05:09 PM
Claws, wings, fly speed, natural armor, ability boosts, crappy breath weapon, and I suppose +1 invoking level instead of +1 spellcasting level.

Dragon Disciple doesn't give +1 Spellcaster. It gives bonus spells.

Indon
2007-08-07, 05:10 PM
Dragon Disciple doesn't give +1 Spellcaster. It gives bonus spells.

So, bonus Invocations?

MountainKing
2007-08-07, 05:12 PM
Exactly correct. Now does anyone see why it might be broken? Think about it; it gives an extra spell known of any level you can already cast. Invocations have an equivalent arcane spell level, and if they are considered equivalent, suddenly the warlock has a much, MUCH broader range of invocations at his disposal. Indefinately.

Also, if warlocks can draw their power from fey, why then not dragons? It's an ancient, natural force.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-07, 05:14 PM
Personally, I'm more of a fan of Duskblade/Dragon Disciple. The bonuses are more in-line with a gish-type, which the Duskblade is.

MountainKing
2007-08-07, 05:23 PM
Agreed; it also works well with Hexblade levels.

SITB
2007-08-07, 05:26 PM
Drawing force from draconic bloodline is the sorcerer shtick. Besides, making deals with the metaphorical demon was never the dragons strong side.

As to what you are suggesting; it seems like you offer a prestige class which offers the equivalent of a buffed up feat almost every level. Does this really look balanced to you?

P.S

Not to say that's broken, but it certainly doesn't look balanced.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-08-07, 05:27 PM
Exactly correct. Now does anyone see why it might be broken? Think about it; it gives an extra spell known of any level you can already cast. Invocations have an equivalent arcane spell level, and if they are considered equivalent, suddenly the warlock has a much, MUCH broader range of invocations at his disposal. Indefinately.

While that's true, wouldn't they all be very weak invocations? Even if you took Warlock 10 before you took Dragon Disciple, you'd be learning invocations of levels 10th-level Warlock can know rather than new, better ones... I don't thinkt hat would be effective at all.

Arbitrarity
2007-08-07, 05:32 PM
No, becaue
Bonus Spells
Dragon disciples gain bonus spells as they gain levels in this prestige class, as if from having a high ability score, as given on Table: The Dragon Disciple. A bonus spell can be added to any level of spells the disciple already has the ability to cast.

That's not spells known. That's spells/day, which != useful for a warlock. At all.

EDIT: Person, your link is borked.

Person_Man
2007-08-07, 05:38 PM
I'd let you do it. As others have pointed out, Warlock/Anything is almost never powerful.

However, you might want to take a look at the Dragonfire Adept (http://http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=2). It has dragon fluff, Warlock-like powers (but better), and no house rules are needed. It's abilities are actually synergize intelligently as well (flight+Solid Fog+Blindsense+breath weapon+ability to make your party members immune to your breath weapon), making Dragonfire Adept 20 a playable and potent build.