PDA

View Full Version : D&D Beyond seems to be a bit lacking so far in some information...

CrackedChair
2017-07-16, 12:07 PM
So I went to create a character in their website, but when I went to select a feat, I only noticed there was Grappler and Sniverwhatever magic feats. Come to think of it, there were no feats other than those two, and recent races, as well as some subclasses were not avaliable. Is there something wrong, or did they not add any more yet?

Vulsutyr
2017-07-16, 12:39 PM
I think that Beyond only contains content that is available for free, that is, EE and the Basic Rules. There's only feat in the Basic Rules, Grappler, and EE contains the feat Svarelfin Magic. Beyond will not contain anything that can only be found in PHB, SCAG, or VGTM.

Prince Zahn
2017-07-16, 01:58 PM
I think that Beyond only contains content that is available for free, that is, EE and the Basic Rules. There's only feat in the Basic Rules, Grappler, and EE contains the feat Svarelfin Magic. Beyond will not contain anything that can only be found in PHB, SCAG, or VGTM.
That's only temporary though. Beyond us also still in Beta. Once they officially launch you'll be able to subscribe to it/purchase the game content that's not available for free. You'll be able get the feats from the player's handbook, and from any other supplement yet to come that way.

That said, what is free is out there, and will stay free.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-17, 02:08 PM

EE and the SRD which has a bit more than the Basic Rules, but yes there are very few feats right now.

Mortheim
2017-07-17, 02:41 PM
Once they officially launch you'll be able to subscribe to it/purchase the game content that's not available for free. You'll be able get the feats from the player's handbook, and from any other supplement yet to come that way.

And what if i already baught SCAG and PHB? :roy:
Also, i'm okay with one-time payment for this.

Beelzebubba
2017-07-17, 04:51 PM

Congratulations, you funded the future of the game. Now count up how many hours you've played, divide your book cost by that, and tell us how cheap your entertainment has been! :smallwink:

Consider the D&D Beyond as a metamagic feat: by paying that fee, you can ignore your material components when you head over for game day.

Mortheim
2017-07-17, 05:45 PM
Congratulations, you funded the future of the game. Now count up how many hours you've played, divide your book cost by that, and tell us how cheap your entertainment has been! :smallwink:

Consider the D&D Beyond as a metamagic feat: by paying that fee, you can ignore your material components when you head over for game day.

I said that I don't have a problem with paying one time for such thing (like I paid for Complete Reference, but damn that thing is useful).
But paying subscription for it is questionable (at least atm - it doesn't stand out that much).
And I can't understand your comparison. If you are talking about char sheet - there are apps and interactive character sheets. If it is about books - they also can be in pdf. So, nothing new, ergh...

I will start from another point: price - exchanging rubles to dollars is not fun. And paying for delivery is not fun. One book costs ~67 dollars for me (with some exceptions). And I have practically all adventures and supplements. So, I spent nearly 700 dollars (median wage in Russia is 667 dollars) on it and got 16 hours of play (first game died pretty fast, so I've found some new players and have being dming them for 2 years - dnd or not dnd). It is ~43 for hour. Is it great deal? For playing it isn't. But other people had a lot of fun (welp, I think it will be ~600 hours), so damn it worth every penny.

Vaz
2017-07-17, 07:20 PM

PDF it/take a picture of the relevant rule, or type in your relevant abilities onto your character sheet with a page reference number, and take it with you?

Beelzebubba
2017-07-18, 06:12 AM
I said that I don't have a problem with paying one time for such thing (like I paid for Complete Reference, but damn that thing is useful).
But paying subscription for it is questionable (at least atm - it doesn't stand out that much).
And I can't understand your comparison. If you are talking about char sheet - there are apps and interactive character sheets. If it is about books - they also can be in pdf. So, nothing new, ergh...

Well, I think of it this way - PDFs are still the books with their organizational problems from having one bit of info that's referenced in many places and ways, but only lives in one. It's cumbersome. And certain things are really hard to figure out quickly.

But, online stuff like D&D Beyond can be really powerful. For instance, the spell list - I LOVE the filtering! It was so easy to figure out things like 'which spells have no material components' or 'which ones will benefit me in combat as a Sword and Board if I take War Caster' or 'is the Ritual Caster feat worth it?'

There are so many things like that that are now scattered across all sorts of PDFs, Google Docs, etc., but - I've seen this with other home-brew stuff - they are all going out of date at different speeds and some even just disappear. Having it all in one place, as a shared cost of our gaming group, will be worth it.

I will start from another point: price - exchanging rubles to dollars is not fun. And paying for delivery is not fun. One book costs ~67 dollars for me (with some exceptions). And I have practically all adventures and supplements. So, I spent nearly 700 dollars (median wage in Russia is 667 dollars) on it and got 16 hours of play (first game died pretty fast, so I've found some new players and have being dming them for 2 years - dnd or not dnd). It is ~43 for hour. Is it great deal? For playing it isn't. But other people had a lot of fun (welp, I think it will be ~600 hours), so damn it worth every penny.

Oh yeah, that's a totally different and really sucks. I should know better, but I was being a bit flip and assuming too much.

Mortheim
2017-07-18, 06:58 PM
Well, I think of it this way - PDFs are still the books with their organizational problems from having one bit of info that's referenced in many places and ways, but only lives in one. It's cumbersome. And certain things are really hard to figure out quickly.

But, online stuff like D&D Beyond can be really powerful. For instance, the spell list - I LOVE the filtering! It was so easy to figure out things like 'which spells have no material components' or 'which ones will benefit me in combat as a Sword and Board if I take War Caster' or 'is the Ritual Caster feat worth it?'

There are so many things like that that are now scattered across all sorts of PDFs, Google Docs, etc., but - I've seen this with other home-brew stuff - they are all going out of date at different speeds and some even just disappear. Having it all in one place, as a shared cost of our gaming group, will be worth it.

Oh yeah, that's a totally different and really sucks. I should know better, but I was being a bit flip and assuming too much.

I wouldn't argue that it is useful. It is - that is why we use one app in our group. But the question is payment.
If it will be one-time purchase costing 5-8 dollars - okay.
If you need to pay cash after buying book it will be strange (considering that people can add stuff by themselves in some apps).
If they will give some code with book which you will be able to use on Beyond to get access to new stuff - it is ok.

No hard feelings <3 But it is frustrating, yeah.