PDA

View Full Version : How to level from here?

Galacktic
2017-07-16, 12:57 PM
Hi there! Since I'm phone posting, ill be short with this one: I'm playing in a 5E game soon, with custom races! Ill post the racial statblock when I'm home, but here's what I have after racial adjustments:

This is with the standard point buy, and after racial adjustments. Now then, I'm planning on playing a Bladesinger Wizard with a whip and focus on the Booming and GFB cantrips!

Our party are a bladelock and a battle master fighter, so ill be picking up range when needed.

Another important thing is that we are starting with a bonus feat at level 1 and are starting at level 2. I chose War Caster as my feat, but my question now is to where to go from here?

I'm mostly looking for fun leveling paths, while staying true to my fast, aggressively overconfident melee(ish) wizard. I was considering rogue for a few levels for SA and cunning action, but what are your thoughts? This isn't meant to be optimal at all, just fun!

My current starting spells and cantrips are:

BB
GFB
Minor Illusion

Madge Armor
Shield
Absorb Elements
Detect Magic
Find Familiar
Alarm
Sleep
Thunderwave

What are your thoughts, everyone? Where should I go from here?

Citan
2017-07-16, 01:13 PM
Hi there! Since I'm phone posting, ill be short with this one: I'm playing in a 5E game soon, with custom races! Ill post the racial statblock when I'm home, but here's what I have after racial adjustments:

This is with the standard point buy, and after racial adjustments. Now then, I'm planning on playing a Bladesinger Wizard with a whip and focus on the Booming and GFB cantrips!

Our party are a bladelock and a battle master fighter, so ill be picking up range when needed.

Hi!
Well, I'd say your priority would be to even all those stats, especially DEX and INT which you will use dearly.
The basic way to do so would be a plain +1 DEX, +1 INT at level 4. It depends though on whether you plan on grabbing some other "half-feats" (that gives +1 in a stat and another benefit): Resilient: Dexterity or Constitution, Athlete (Dex), Observant (INT), Durable (CON), etc...

Beyond that, well, I'd say you are set already. Of course a small dip into Rogue would bring some other benefits, but at the price of delaying spellcasting.
If you are fine with being "late" in leveling, grab 2 levels of Rogue but not until you got Wizard 5 at the very least: one ASI, Mirror Image, and Haste are too good to wait two full levels for it.
Once you got Cunning Action, think about whether you have a chance of reaching character level 20, and whether you care about it or not. If answer is yes in both cases, stick with Wizard. Otherwise, feel free to multiclass into Rogue further. :)

How do you get proficiency with the whip? I'm interested... From the custom races?

Galacktic
2017-07-16, 01:16 PM
Bladesinger! It grants proficiency in light armor and s one handed weapon

Citan
2017-07-16, 01:35 PM
Bladesinger! It grants proficiency in light armor and s one handed weapon
Don't want to break your bubble, and cannot access book to check myself...
But aren't bladesinger proficiencies limited to one-handed "simple" weapons? Because whip is (sadly, but logically) a "martial" one-handed weapon.

Galacktic
2017-07-16, 01:37 PM
Could've sworn martial, but ill double check book when I'm home in an hour. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

lunaticfringe
2017-07-16, 02:16 PM
Nope its any One Handed Melee Weapon.

Edit: Assumed I quoted Citan, I forgot to hit the quote button. I'm on me phone it's tiny because I still prefer viewing in Full Site.

Galacktic
2017-07-16, 02:22 PM
Yep, just got home and looked myself. Any one handed melee weapon, light armor, performance! Thanks for the feedback so far!

And as promised, here's the racial statblock:

Usuran
Usuran Traits
Even with the recent modernization of society, Usurans have multiple traits that they picked up from the generations their ancestors roamed the plains.

Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 2.
Age. An Usuran reaches physical maturity around their mid teens, although they are truly considered adults around their mid-20s. They can live up to the middle of their second century, although physical fitness can become an issue around the end of their first.
Alignment. Many Usurans are neutral in nature, as most strive to live peacefully. However, they're prone to becoming very passionate about a subject they learn much about, for better or worse.
Size. Usuran can range from 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall, and weigh about 45 to 55 pounds. Your size is Small.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet. You are fleeter of foot than normal for your size.
Darkvision. Used to the wide open plains in any light, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Keen Hearing. Your sensitive ears grant you proficiency in the Perception skill.
Leaper. Your strong legs allow you to jump further than normal. Whenever you jump without a running start, you do not halve your jump distance. Whenever you jump after a running start, double the distance you would normally travel.
Lurking in the Wilderness. You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, or other natural phenomenon.
Languages. You can read, speak, and write Common and one extra language of your choice. The extra languages an Usuran speaks are a product of the places they've traveled, and they have long ago adopted the common tongue out of convenience.
Focus. An Usuran unconsciously finds themselves drawn to one part of their talents, embracing it and becoming more skilled because of it. They can choose to focus on their Nomadic past, or their Studious nature.

Nomadic
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Danger Sense. You have a +2 bonus to Initiative checks.
Natural Lurker. You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.

Studious
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Well Spoken. You can read, speak, and write one extra language of your choice, on top of the one you can already.
Well Read. You become proficient in one of the following skills: Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion.

It's not optimal, but my character is Studious for +1 Wis/+2 Int. It fits the character theme more!

Elminster298
2017-07-16, 02:36 PM
Yep, just got home and looked myself. Any one handed melee weapon, light armor, performance! Thanks for the feedback so far!

And as promised, here's the racial statblock:

Usuran
Usuran Traits
Even with the recent modernization of society, Usurans have multiple traits that they picked up from the generations their ancestors roamed the plains.

Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 2.
Age. An Usuran reaches physical maturity around their mid teens, although they are truly considered adults around their mid-20s. They can live up to the middle of their second century, although physical fitness can become an issue around the end of their first.
Alignment. Many Usurans are neutral in nature, as most strive to live peacefully. However, they're prone to becoming very passionate about a subject they learn much about, for better or worse.
Size. Usuran can range from 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall, and weigh about 45 to 55 pounds. Your size is Small.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet. You are fleeter of foot than normal for your size.
Darkvision. Used to the wide open plains in any light, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Keen Hearing. Your sensitive ears grant you proficiency in the Perception skill.
Leaper. Your strong legs allow you to jump further than normal. Whenever you jump without a running start, you do not halve your jump distance. Whenever you jump after a running start, double the distance you would normally travel.
Lurking in the Wilderness. You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, or other natural phenomenon.
Languages. You can read, speak, and write Common and one extra language of your choice. The extra languages an Usuran speaks are a product of the places they've traveled, and they have long ago adopted the common tongue out of convenience.
Focus. An Usuran unconsciously finds themselves drawn to one part of their talents, embracing it and becoming more skilled because of it. They can choose to focus on their Nomadic past, or their Studious nature.

Nomadic
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Danger Sense. You have a +2 bonus to Initiative checks.
Natural Lurker. You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.

Studious
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Well Spoken. You can read, speak, and write one extra language of your choice, on top of the one you can already.
Well Read. You become proficient in one of the following skills: Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion.

It's not optimal, but my character is Studious for +1 Wis/+2 Int. It fits the character theme more!

This is an absolutely broken race. You almost don't even need any class levels to play this character. I'm just surprised it doesn't have wings and spell- like abilities!

Galacktic
2017-07-16, 04:11 PM
This is an absolutely broken race. You almost don't even need any class levels to play this character. I'm just surprised it doesn't have wings and spell- like abilities!

He made a ton of races, all of them are about that power level! But, they're the only races in the world that aren't monsters! So it's effectively all balanced each other.

Elminster298
2017-07-16, 05:21 PM
He made a ton of races, all of them are about that power level! But, they're the only races in the world that aren't monsters! So it's effectively all balanced each other.

Well then, that does sound pretty interesting! If you are thinking about rogue I would suggest scout if that is an option. The mobility would play well with bladesinger and the rogue class would allow you enough "ASIs" to pick up some interesting feats such as mobility and possibly crossbow expert for more attack options while in melee. If you had a higher wisdom shadow monk would be a good choice also but alas that would be a waste as it is right now. A fighter dip for action surge and battlemaster techniques would also be a pretty good choice with the same "ASI" options.

Elminster298
2017-07-16, 05:23 PM
Or even Eldritch Knight for spell+attack would not be bad at all. You have A LOT of options with this character and not many of them are bad at all...