PDA

View Full Version : Making Joseph Joestar

Gwazi Magnum
2017-07-16, 01:50 PM
Partly as a thought experiment, how would people go about making or representing Joesph Joestar from JoJo's Bizzarre Adventures?

For the purposes of this thread assume we're talking battle tendency Joseph (so no Hermit Purple), since upon looking this up pretty much all the attention towards JoJo characters have been Stand focused. It'd be nice to have something based on the hamon using times.

I was looking at doing either straight up Monk, or being a Rogue with Tavern Brawler.
But the latter seems to have some RAW issues with finesse weapons and unarmed strikes.

Nettlekid
2017-07-16, 02:02 PM
I would probably recommend Monk with the Charlatan background. He's physically fit and you can have proficiency with Athletics or Acrobatics (he seems more Athletic than Acrobatic, but has shades of both) and Insight along with a naturally high Wis to help with reading his opponents well. Wis to AC reflects him predicting his opponents' moves and dodging. Charlatan gives Deception and Sleight of Hand, both of which he makes frequent use of, as well as proficiency with Disguise Kits (https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/cardfight/images/1/1d/Tequila-joseph.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151219142404). I don't think I'd suggest Rogue because even though he does make a lot of "sneak attacks" they're typically just like, surprises, not actually catching someone out in a vulnerable spot. As for the subclass, for thematic reasons I would actually suggest the Way of the Four Elements to reflect his ability to use Hamon to manipulate his surroundings. He's not trained enough to be an Open Hand Monk and he's never been stealthy like a Shadow Monk. Using Ki to create elemental effects is pretty much exactly what Hamon is.

Temperjoke
2017-07-16, 02:13 PM
I know it'd be MAD, but you might want to consider also giving him 2 levels of divination wizard, that would give him the portent ability which could represent his reading an opponent and predicting what they're about to say and/or do.

Gwazi Magnum
2017-07-16, 02:38 PM
I would probably recommend Monk with the Charlatan background. He's physically fit and you can have proficiency with Athletics or Acrobatics (he seems more Athletic than Acrobatic, but has shades of both) and Insight along with a naturally high Wis to help with reading his opponents well. Wis to AC reflects him predicting his opponents' moves and dodging. Charlatan gives Deception and Sleight of Hand, both of which he makes frequent use of, as well as proficiency with Disguise Kits (https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/cardfight/images/1/1d/Tequila-joseph.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151219142404). I don't think I'd suggest Rogue because even though he does make a lot of "sneak attacks" they're typically just like, surprises, not actually catching someone out in a vulnerable spot. As for the subclass, for thematic reasons I would actually suggest the Way of the Four Elements to reflect his ability to use Hamon to manipulate his surroundings. He's not trained enough to be an Open Hand Monk and he's never been stealthy like a Shadow Monk. Using Ki to create elemental effects is pretty much exactly what Hamon is.

All good points.

It's just a shame that way of the four elements is rather weak as a subclass. What about the Magic Initiate feat?

I know it'd be MAD, but you might want to consider also giving him 2 levels of divination wizard, that would give him the portent ability which could represent his reading an opponent and predicting what they're about to say and/or do.

You could also grab the Empathic Skill Feat from Unearth Arcana to accomplish that.